PDA

View Full Version : Finally!

Darji
28 April 2010, 05:10 PM
Namaste all,

(I apologise if this is too long, but have been holding it in for so long)
How to begin? the beginning? When growing up I always had hindu friends, or friendly hindu neighbours, they always welcomed me with open arms and shared not only their culture but themselves as well. I remember when I was about 5 or 6 and seeing a gilt framed painting of Ganesha on the shrine of my friends. I can close my eyes and the imagry still comes back like it was yesterday. But being at the age I was, I didn't understand the full impact of what that image represented. Growing up, my family was spiritual, not religous and was raised wiccan (yes one of the first generation actually raised this way), but I moved on from that path when I became a teen. Once I was out of my rebellious years and started thinking about the infinite, sanatana dharma was the first thing that crossed my mind, unfortunately by this time I had moved to America to be with my mum and the closest thing to dharma I could find were the "let me rub some stones on you to align your chakra new ageist" that you typically find around the wiccan circle of friends. So, I stopped looking and ended up in Japan where I started learning Tendai-shu, it was a nice fit at the time, but I was still missing something. A couple of years things hit rock bottom, my mum got me a job at a hotel to get back on my feet and there were Indians. Indians owned it and worked it. Soon I became great friends with the laundry workers Manu-bhai and Santa-bin, a lovely older couple that took me in despite the language barrier. Although I never expressed my want and desire to know more, Manu-bhai, would tell me about Shiva (as best he could) and would bring me little cards with mantras on them. Long story short it was a wonderful time and I wish my situation would have allowed me to see the give I was given and I would have followed through then.

Fast forward 7 years and WHAM! out of the blue it hits me like a freight train. A fortnight ago I had an amazingly vivid dream. It was of an odd mass of ever evolving light like waves on the sea churning. But it was not like water, it was thick and had substance to it... actually I see it in my minds eye now, but can not quite explain. None the less, all I hear is eternal quiet and feel sublime (for the lack of a better world) and although it was dead quiet, I felt OM resonating, through me around me, yet another sensation that is difficult to explain.

Needless to say, since that night I can't get it out of my head and heart which couldn't come at a worse time. I am currently writing a book (not related in the least bit) and over do and all I want to do it find God. So now I find myself here, I have been thumped by God and doing what I should have done years ago, but was too selfish to realize. I now want to make things right.

I know a lot of you like to know the story behind the screen names. I guess I should explain mine since it is not religiously derived. I am an experimental archaeologist and despite my background in Celtic culture, I have been working on recreating and preserving tailoring techniques and methods of the 19th century. Hence the name. :D

Thank you for reading and hearing my heart.

Ashvati
28 April 2010, 10:29 PM
Welcome. Your dream sounds a bit like a few I had in the middle stages of the days where I was deciding to adopt hinduism. Seems we're having a lot of new people with similar experiences drawing them to the eternal dharma. My friend Nayasurya commented on it recently as being like all the people in "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" drawing and sculpting that mountain and then one day finding it and gathering there.

NayaSurya
28 April 2010, 11:52 PM
Namaste<3

I am becoming more and more convinced that there is a pattern. I try very hard to see the signs and sometimes one is so big you simply can no longer ignore it. How many have come here saying these same things?

It's a long trail of bread crumbs leading us all to the same truth...to what end...I can not say.

Om Namah Sivaya

Welcome Darji, you have found kindred kind. I am also a writer. Today I contacted my publisher and put through the proposal. Many writers here.

I wrote the book almost a decade ago, without a computer and no practical knowledge of SD. Much of it didn't make sense so I put it on a shelf. My publisher became very interested in it when we spoke one time of other projects. I mentioned it half heartedly, knowing things in it were not understandible to even the writer. She asked me to make a synopsis for it and in that request I began to re-read the whole thing. Only now, after reading so much...did I realize this was holy scripture and SD philosophy translated through an ignorant Kentucky mother.

Even today, I was automatic writing on the second book. it comes when even I sleep and I have to get up and type. (which is why I am up now:p) While I was writing on the book, I was given the name Garuda. So I wrote it down.

I come on the forum and answer a post here about Saivism and begin thinking about the post and proceed to go to my translation of Uttar Kand...where this specific issue is involved. In the text, who is the person Lord Shankar is speaking of? Garuda. Of course I am the worst at decyphering these things, what could it mean. So I wait for the rest of the message.

We are all being given clues to follow, and I am so glad you have made it this far. Wouldn't it be wonderful if all could find their way home?

This piece which dwells in the Aham welcomes you who also dwells in the Aham<3

sanjaya
29 April 2010, 01:13 AM
Welcome Darji! I look forward to many interesting spiritual conversations with you.

I agree with NaraSurya that there seems to be a pattern here. It looks like many people are exploring Hinduism despite the lack of any active effort on the part of Hindus. My story is not nearly as exciting; I was born and raised Hindu, and stayed Hindu. It's always interesting to hear the stories of Western Hindus.

Darji
29 April 2010, 03:23 AM
Yes it is hard to write a book when you can not get this out of your mind, so it is slowing things down a bit, I just hope it all works out as I am now officially a week late with the book =/

None the less, I believe it is our primal self wanting to return us back to nature and to return towards the type of worship we are hard wired for.

For me this is natural, in my original field of study, on Celtic studies, you start to realize there are a lot of similarities between the Celts and Hindus. Being a Celt, I guess we are just being returned to the natural order of things.

Thank you all for the welcome :)

sambya
29 April 2010, 05:32 AM
welcome darji saab . hehehe

well , as sanjaya said , its always interesting to hear stories of western hindus and how the samskars from previous births are at work in their present birth . may god show you his divine self . god bless..............

jai

Eastern Mind
29 April 2010, 06:57 AM
Vannakkam Darji:

Somewhere at each moment of the day, Lord Ganesha is in His dancing pose looking for those who might see Him in all His glory, so He can shower His blessings and lead us all along the path of Dharma.

I think I'm beginning to see a pattern too. Seems to me there was a pause of 20, 30 years for souls to resettle from the initial bombardment of the late 60s early 70s, but maybe that's just my personal life pattern.

I remember my first vision (around 1971) as if it were yesterday as well. But there is much to do for the reprogramming of the subconscious mind.

The day we consecrated our Ganesha temple here (Canada, and yes, I'm another western adoptive) which I have been an integral part of since its conception, I saw Him dancing in the clouds over the area where the temple was. It is about an 8k walk from my home to there. He seemed to be looking out at the whole world, for we are all His children. Since He is the closest in vibration to this plane, His worship is the place to start.

Aum Namasivaya