PDA

View Full Version : Clearly advanced yogi?

Ashvati
30 April 2010, 10:06 PM
http://www.tehrantimes.com/index_View.asp?code=218586

Aparentl doctors are investigating a yogi who claims to have not eaten or drank anything in decades and says that he's sustained through meditation thanks to the blessing of a goddess not specified by the article. Anyone else heard more about this or following it?

NayaSurya
01 May 2010, 12:38 AM
I have been 28 days without solid food many times over my life. The trick was to continue to drink juice and take vitamins. But even this comes at a great cost to the heart. One can not tarry too long without sodium and potassium.

I suppose I would have to meet this individual to see how they have managed such things. Either way, it would be a learning experience if it was true or false:P

As a person who has knowledge of those breaking points...I am inclined to always believe in the perimeters of the animal which I have experienced. But anything is possible.

devotee
01 May 2010, 01:09 AM
http://www.tehrantimes.com/index_View.asp?code=218586

Aparentl doctors are investigating a yogi who claims to have not eaten or drank anything in decades and says that he's sustained through meditation thanks to the blessing of a goddess not specified by the article. Anyone else heard more about this or following it?

I believe that the yogis can live for a very long time without eating and drinking. In meditation, there comes a stage when our all organs go to sleep (including our heart, kidney etc.) ... and they won't even breathe. In 'Autobiography of a Yogi', Paramhansa Yogananda talks about one such woman saint who didnt eat for many decades.

Maharishi Patanjali describes various such yogic powers coming to the yogis in his famous Patanjali Yogasutras.

OM

goodlife
01 May 2010, 01:49 AM
Yes. this same story was covered by the channels in India 2-3 years back where this yogi was kept under constant vigil of tv cameras for 10 days. even the water he was given for bathing was measured before and after lest he drank.

He said that he was blessed by Devi when he was a kid and hasnt eaten since then. In the morning after his Puja, all he takes is a drop of purified water offered to Goddess.

after 10 days the head of team of doctors gave a statement which still rings in my ears. he said " it's time to re write the science we know".

infact in other of believe it or not programmes, they showed a yogi who also does not eat anything but derives his energy by meditating and looking at the Sun. Science says our eyes will get severly damaged but they showed how he could look at the Sun for hours and that he absorbed energy radiated out by the sun.
simply amazing.

Eastern Mind
01 May 2010, 07:56 AM
Vannakkam:

Although I believe something close to this is possible, I do not believe any of the ones that hit the press. These stories come and go, and this one is nothing new. Usually once they are proven as fraudulent, the story disappears.

There is a certain mentality that meeds this to reconfirm the power or even existence of God. It is as a result of the bombardment by external rationalist media depicting eastern of religious thought as stupid. This has created a subconscious doubt in the 'believer'.

The real miracles of God come in altering consciousness within individuals so that humanity is a kinder and more inner lot, closer to God consciousness.

Aum Namasivaya

Visvamitra
01 September 2010, 10:59 PM
I've read in the Mahabharat about munis living on air. I'm not sure if it meant they went without food but it certainly sounded like it. I cannot recall if mention was made also of their living off roots or fruits.

rkpande
02 September 2010, 12:05 AM
the story of swami haridas has been often quoted in authentic yoga literature mostly by western authours who under strict supervision of maharaja ranjeet singh and surgon general performed the fete of being burried alive, if i rember correctly for five weeks.
his body openings were blocked by wax and then was put iside a sealed silk bag, locked in a box and burried under ground under watchful eyes of maharaja's men.
khechari mudra does it, as they call in yoga.

Sahasranama
02 September 2010, 06:09 AM
Vannakkam:

Although I believe something close to this is possible, I do not believe any of the ones that hit the press. These stories come and go, and this one is nothing new. Usually once they are proven as fraudulent, the story disappears.

I believe too that these things are possible, but I am also highly sceptical when these stories hit the press. Just because it's possible, doesn't mean we should assume that every story we hear is true. It's very unlikely that someone reaches that state where they don't have to eat and drink or sleep at all anymore.

Eastern Mind
02 September 2010, 06:43 AM
Vannakkam:

Bottom line - Sensationalism sells.

Aum Namasivaya

Maya3
01 November 2010, 08:34 PM
I don't believe it.
We have physical bodies and they need nutrition or they expire.
If you meditate a lot and can really slow down your metabolism and organ function, then yes you'd need less energy than if you are exercising and sweating etc, but no you still need nutrition.

Maya

goodlife
02 November 2010, 03:38 AM
^^ there are a few knowns and many unknowns. this is just one of them.what you are saying is true by current knowledge that we have about human body.but do you think this is it?

just hundred years back scientists believed the universe was just 100 millions years old.now we know diffferently. they keep pushing back oldest man walking dates by few thousand years every few years.

the knowledge, the science is evolving.its not complete yet.

there will be a time when adhyatam (spiritualism) and materialism (science) will meet. till then keep watching

mukunda20
02 November 2010, 04:05 AM
Namaste everyone,
basically the whole concept of consumption of food is based on getting energy from the food material we take in. for more technical details please visit the digestion wikipedia page( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digestion ). if we take the consumption of an apple, the energy stored in the apple is extracted in the stomach through catabolism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catabolism) and the rest of the matter(physical apple particles) is thrown out of the body through stools as waste. thus a person feels energised after a meal. so conclusion of the above is that a person feeds on food for gaining energy. if the same person is getting energy without the consumption of food, then he\she will not feel the need to consume food in order to gain energy. this alternate energy source is actually the primary energy source of every being in Prakruthi and is known as Cosmic energy. the difficulty in accepting this consumption of Cosmic energy as a fact is due to the routine we have been familiar with(consuming food for energy gain). but this is what great Rishis, Munis, Yogis etc have been doing since time immemorial while being awake. moreover this is what every being is doing while sleeping(tapping into the Cosmic Energy while being in the deep sleep state experiencing Parabrahma sthithi).that is the reason as to why even the most voracious eater will not wake up to eat while in deep sleep state, and this is also the reason as to why people with disturbed sleep tend to be hungry after waking up(since the share of energy tapping was not enough).
please correct me if wrong,
regards,
mukunda

Adhvagat
03 November 2010, 05:00 AM
I believe too that these things are possible, but I am also highly sceptical when these stories hit the press. Just because it's possible, doesn't mean we should assume that every story we hear is true. It's very unlikely that someone reaches that state where they don't have to eat and drink or sleep at all anymore.

I don't think it's unlikely...

What's unlikely is someone attaining this state and seeking attention of the press.

Makes no sense! :D

Maya3
03 November 2010, 06:48 AM
I don't think it's unlikely...

What's unlikely is someone attaining this state and seeking attention of the press.

Makes no sense! :D

Very true, if you can see it ALL the press on planet earth would be very insignificant.

If I was in deep Samadhi the press would not be on my radar, :)

Maya

Sahasranama
03 November 2010, 08:35 AM
That would be funny, an advanced yogi in the state of samadhi and then calling the press for an interview, because of it. :rolleyes:

Maya3
03 November 2010, 11:07 AM
OM, Aaaaaaaauuuuuuuuummmmm?
Press you are not responding???
OOOOOMMMMM?

kallol
04 November 2010, 04:14 AM
It was there in news some moths back. Again doctors, etc for closed monitoring. This went on for days on.

The other news became more important and this one was lost.

Link

http://www.newkerala.com/news/fullnews-97017.html

Google "Prahladbhai Jani"

You will get more news

Love and best wishes

terrence109
05 December 2010, 10:57 PM
Well thanks for the information....Hope this will provide great help for everyone...