PDA

View Full Version : Silly question on Vaishnava ritual

Darji
02 May 2010, 03:36 PM
Just out of curiosity; although the foundational philosophies are different between the various Sampradāyas of Vaishnavism, are the rituals are the same?

For instance, does a Nimbarka use the same rituals as say a Gaudiya Vaishnav to worship RadheKrishna? The pujas the same &tc. &tc.?

In short, are the rituals and modes of worship universal throughout the different Sampradāyas, with only the initiatory mantras and philosophies being sect specific.

Sahasranama
04 May 2010, 06:54 AM
No, they are not exactly the same. There many cultural differences between certain sects, like the vallabhas and the gaudiyas. There are also philosophical differences. Tattvavadis and gaudiyas worship all deities, but only Krishna as Bhagavan. Sri Vaishnavas only worship forms of laxmi and narayana: like rukmini/krishna, sita/rama, laxmi/nrisimha etc.

Darji
04 May 2010, 11:44 AM
Tattvavadis worship all gods? hmmm from what I read, I thought they were strict monists.

Is there any one out there to tell me about Nimbarka Sampradāya?

sambya
04 May 2010, 12:41 PM
no . every sampradaya is different and unique and each gives rise to another completely new sampradaya in course of time . hence some of them might have some common background , or share some common beliefs , but they are not the same . the rituals are largely influenced by their place of origin . gaudiya vaishnavas , for example would follow rituals that originated in gaud-desha or bengal , as it later came to be known .

this goes out for not just vaishnav but every other sampradaya in india whether shaiva or shakta .

smaranam
05 May 2010, 07:13 AM
Namaste Darji

This information below , is quite relevant to understand flavors of the 4 VaishNav sampraday and how Shri Chaitanay Mahaprabhu , the incarnation , reconciled them into Gaudiya VaishNav sampraday. Inshort He took the best of the 4 , deity worship, ananya bhakti, seva - service and raga-bhaki (manasi). This will help you recognize where you fit.

Elements of the Four Sampradayas accepted by Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu (http://www.veda.harekrsna.cz/encyclopedia/philosophy2.htm)

In Sri Navadvipa-Dhama-Mahatmya, Chapters 15 and 16, Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura has described his revelations regarding the svarupa of the transcendental abode and the lila of the Lord performed in the area of Navadvipa. During these narrations, Sri Nityananda Prabhu took Srila Jiva Gosvami on a tour of the nine islands of Navadvipa and told him many wonderful things. Herein it is mentioned how Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu accepted two principles from each of the four Vaisnava sampradayas and incorporated these into His own sampradaya. It is also mentioned that the four principal acaryas of these four lineages later took birth as Lord Caitanya's devotees during His manifest lila.

Ramanuja - of the Laksmi-sampradaya (who preached the philosophy of dasya-rasa) - was reborn as the Gaura-bhakta named Ananta (who lived near Vallabhacarya's house):
1) concept of unalloyed devotion free from karma and jnana (ananya-bhakti)
2) service to the devotees bhakta-jana-seva

Madhva - of the Brahma-sampradaya - was reborn as Murari Gupta (Vayu/Hanuman/Bhima).
1) complete defeat of mayavada philosophy (kevale-advaita-nirasana)
2) worship of the deity of Krsna, understanding it to be eternal (krsna-murti-sevana)

Visnusvami - of the Rudra-sampradaya (who preached suddha advaita philosophy) - was reborn as the Gaura-bhakta named Vallabha Bhatta, who perfected his own sampradaya by Gauranga's mercy:
1) the sentiment of total dependence on Krsna (tadiya-sarvasva-bhava)
2) the path of spontaneous devotional service (raga-marga)

Nimbarka - of the Kumara-sampradaya (who preached dvaita-advaita philosophy) - was reborn as the Gaura-bhakta named Kesava Kasmiri (who perfected his worship of bhava-marga with a mantra described in Sanat Kumara Samhita):
1) the necessity of taking exclusive shelter of Radhika (ekanta - radhikasraya)
2) the exalted mood of the gopis' love for Sri Krishna (gopi-bhava)

(Lord Caitanya to Nimbarkacarya) : "Later, when I begin the sankirtan movement, I myself will preach, using the essence of the philosophies of the four of you. From Madhva I will receive two items: his complete defeat of the mayavadi philosophy and his service to the murti of Krsna, accepting it as an eternal spiritual being. From Ramanuja I will accept two teaching: the concept of bhakti unpolluted by karma and jnana, and service to the devotees. From Visnu Swami's teachings I will accept two elements: the sentiment of exclusive dependence on Krsna and the path of raga bhakti. And from you I will receive two great principles: the necessity of taking shelter of Radha and the high esteem for the gopis' love of Krsna." (Bhaktivinoda Thakura, Navadvipa Mahatmya, ch. 16)

Suhotra Prabhu:
Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura has explained in Navadvipa Mahatmya, ch. 15-16, that the founder-acaryas of the 4 Vaisnava Sampradayas all had the darsan of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu during their lifetimes. (They did not live at the same time as Mahaprabhu, but He granted them His darsan by His special mercy). Lord Caitanya gave each acarya his mission. Thus each sampradaya is actually already under the shelter of Caitanya Mahaprabhu. Mostly the present-day adherents of the sampradayas (excepting, of course, the Gaudiya branch of the Madhva sampradaya) do not know this, but at least they are dutifully worshiping their founder-acaryas, who are devotees of Lord Caitanya....

Om namo NArAyaNaya
Om namo Bhagavate VAsudevAya

Ashvati
09 May 2010, 11:01 AM
There's a form of puja to Vishnu that I read of once on wikipedia (yes, I know its not reliable, but its conveniant) where the four objects he holds in his hands are assembled on one's alter, and different vaishnava deities are asociated with different orders to arrange them in. The article included a list of said orders and what deities they are asociated with, but I can't find it. Which is annoying because I've assembled objects to use for this form of puja (I'm a saiva but I have a lot of respect for Vishnu)

Darji
09 May 2010, 12:05 PM
Thank you for having a look none the less. :)