PDA

View Full Version : Rama centric traditions

Darji
02 May 2010, 03:47 PM
Other than the Ramanandi Sampradaya, are there other vaishnava sects that are Rama centric.

Also, how is Rama viewed/ worshiped in the other Sampradayas?

smaranam
16 May 2010, 09:45 PM
"are there other vaishnava sects that are Rama centric"

Which form is a personal thing for each devotee or devotee-family, generations.
I believe some Shri VaishNavas (RAmAnuja sampraday) worship Shri VishNu as Shri RAm. I would say its a personal attraction towards one form. Hanuman was devout devotee of Shri RAm. He wanted to see RukmiNi-KrishNa as Sita-Ram and his wish was granted. In Gauranga (Chaitanya) LIla, a disciple MurAri Gupta was RAma centric. His Lord was RAm and no other. MAhaprabhu (Chaitanaya) tested him, trying to bring him to KRshNa. He put his foot down, and Lord Chaitanya said this is my Hanuman (to MurAri Gupta).

"how is Rama viewed/ worshiped in the other Sampradayas?"

RAmchandra is MaryAdApurushottam - The Supreme Lord specializing in 'MaryAdA'.
The avatAr of VishNu who lived an exemplary life to teach and live Truth by example. This avatAr was about maryAdA - boundaries in each (human) relationship, and taught control of the Self...

KRshNa is Leelapurushottam - the Supreme Self specializing in Divine Leelas.
The Supreme Complete Whole, BhagavAn , pUrNAvtAr who performs pastimes(lilas) eternally, and engages jivAs (living entities, souls) in them .

Its all VishNu Tattva. So whether the deities are Radha-Krshna, Lakshmi-NarayaN, Sita-Ram, the same principles and rules of worship apply. For instance, placing Tulsi at His Lotus Feet. Tulasi is placed only at the feet of VishNu Tattva. Tattva = principle. (No Tulasi at the Lotus feet of Radha/Sita/Lakshmi - His consort). EkAdashi fast for VishNu Tattva.

Radhe KRshNa