PDA

View Full Version : Symbols of Shiva

Einherjar
03 May 2010, 05:15 PM
So, I think I may have mentioned this once or twice in other threads somewhere, but I'm currently apprenticing to be a tattoo artist. It's kind of a difficult journey because when you're starting out there's only so much complexity you can undertake. As a result there are only so many simplistic beginner level tattoos other people want.

Thus part of the process is practicing on yourself. I'd decided about a week ago that I wanted to tattoo "Aum Namah Sivaya" in Sanskrit on my leg. However, I chose a poor placement and could not see the needle properly enough to do the lettering neatly. I got most of "Sivaya" done before I realized I'd rather have that small portion of a bad tattoo than the whole thing looking all jacked up. I managed to do a good job on the Aum which is right above my knee, so I kept that one and its healing and looks good.

Essentially at this point I'm going to need to cover up the chicken scratch of a job I did on "Sivaya", but I would like to be able to cover it with something else associated with Shiva so the original purpose and intent of the tattoo remains in tact. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions of a good symbol of Shiva to cover it with. It would preferably be something that I can do as a silhouette so I can practice my fill work (process of filling in line work with a solid color) and completely cover up the terrible work presently there.

Ashvati
03 May 2010, 05:30 PM
Depending on hw tall the letters are, you might be able to cover them with a trishul wrapped around your leg.

Einherjar
03 May 2010, 05:41 PM
That may be viable. The text was going to run down the inside of my leg. The letters are roughly an inch and a half tall and the whole thing is about 4 inches long.

Any other suggestions are welcome as well. I was previously aware of the trident symbol and was actually curious if there were any other symbols that would be appropriate. Thanks.

Ashvati
03 May 2010, 09:24 PM
The small drum Shiva is often shown holding symbolizing the rhythm of creation may also be appropriate.