PDA

View Full Version : Seva Aparadha -- Does it really exist ?

sambya
06 May 2010, 03:20 AM
Sevaaparadha(in vaishnav theology) are those offences which are to be avoided while doing some seva or service to the installed deity(archa vigraha) either in ones own home or in temple . there are many things which are considered to be sevaaparadha like travelling to a temple with shoes on , negligence in nityapuja(daily worship) etc etc . it is the list of those things which are supposed to 'offend' god .

but a question that has been lingering on for quite some time in my mind is "can sevaaparadha really exist ? " ..................if god is ever merciful and infinite can he take offence on such silly happenings or non-happenings ? what might be 'offence' to lord ? we get offended due to our ego , our imperfections . but can god also get offended in the same manner . i have always believed that sevaaparadha cannot exist . no matter how harsh we are to the merciful supreme he cant mean us any harm or be offended . i think that this was conceptualised to act as a deterrent to common people neglecting their nitya karma .

recently i asked a sadhu , the head priest of a famous mutt on this question . he also said that sevaaparadha doesnt exist . god just sees to your bhava and your mind . he doesnt get offended atall .

so the question that i put forward in this thread is do you think that god can get angry on neglecting his puja or even on abusing him ? how to reconcile sevaaparadha with the fact that god is compassionate and ever merciful and infinite ?

what are your views ?

Eastern Mind
06 May 2010, 07:02 AM
Vannakkam:

Personally, I think this kind of thing is mostly about 'intention.'

A poor old chap with dementia, or a 'naive to the customs of a temple' westerner' would not take the same karmic hit as the scoundrel who purposely walks into a temple with his Army boots on.

Aum Namasivaya

Ganeshprasad
06 May 2010, 07:13 AM
Pranam Sambya

.so the question that i put forward in this thread is do you think that god can get angry on neglecting his puja or even on abusing him ? how to reconcile sevaaparadha with the fact that god is compassionate and ever merciful and infinite ?

what are your views ?

Good question, we do this often we bend the rules all the time. our actions impact us and our surroundings but i see no reason that our seva however selfish or improper affects the KarunaSagar all merciful lord as you put it. he is unaffected by the trigunas, it only affect us and our surroundings. people will point finger at you for your shortcomings or praise you for your seva, but lord only sees your bhava.

here is what Krishna says

nadatte kasyacit papam
na caiva sukrtam vibhuh
ajnanenavrtam jnanam
tena muhyanti jantavah

Nor does the Supreme Lord assume anyone's sinful or pious activities. Embodied beings, however, are bewildered because of the ignorance which covers their real knowledge. 5.15bg

Jai Shree Krishna

amith vikram
06 May 2010, 07:23 AM
people will point finger at you for your shortcomings or praise you for your seva, but lord only sees your bhava.

absolutely right........

amith vikram
06 May 2010, 07:31 AM
nice question.but there was one instance where my relatives were having some trouble with their daughter's marriage,and some poojari told them that they had not completed some pooja to the lord.after doing that pooja,their problem was solved.

sambya
06 May 2010, 08:27 AM
thnaks to all for replying .

...........there was one instance where my relatives were having some trouble with their daughter's marriage,and some poojari told them that they had not completed some pooja to the lord.after doing that pooja,their problem was solved.

well sometimes you need to please some local deities or powers who have the ability to affect your lives in a big way . then there is deva-rreen(duties to devas) . however none of them should affect a sadhak or one who doesnt search for material prosperity . they are for the others .

as regards the pujari telling them this , i should say that personally i do not lay too much stress on their words . they literally play on the psychology of helpless people . and such 'advises' on lapses and sevaparadha is given by many people in the society , staring with your neighbour or the cheating astrologer !!
i think that such ideas are all out of chronic fear of god and a desire to lead a prosperous and materialistically happy life .

sambya
06 May 2010, 08:29 AM
eastern mind : yes i agree with you completely . and i think it is more of a social detterent .

ganeshprasad : i agree with you too . "bhavagrahi janardana" is what i believe god to be .

prannams to you all