PDA

View Full Version : Concept of Gender in our idol worship

vimaalnatarajan
07 May 2010, 12:16 PM
First of all....HI to all and I am a new member to this amazing forum.......I like to get a clarification in the below topic

Idol incarnation or projection in our puranas, temples and other proofs.....The Earth and its sub funtionary such as ocean, river etc are all off female gender for eg: booma devi

Whereas other celestrial bodies of the solar system such as Sun, Mars and even the nature act such as rain, wind(vayu bagavan) are all of male gender........

What is whole concept of gender differentiation......Is their any document which is substantiating the whole concept?

Avazjan
06 June 2010, 04:36 AM
Namaste.

This is an interesting question, one I do not know the answer of. Perhaps one of the esteemed and knowledgeable members of this board will be able to answer.

The subject of gender in divinity is something I have made an on going and exhaustive study in so this question took me by surprise because I am not able to answer it.

At least, not in the context and parameters you have set forth.

However, I can say that every female force 'hides' a male one, and every male identity hides a female one. Even a bindu is representative of both.

This is related to the Kashmir Shaiva interpretation and doctrine of abheda, bheda and bdhedabedha.

Onkara
31 August 2010, 02:22 PM
What is whole concept of gender differentiation......Is their any document which is substantiating the whole concept?

Namaste
This is an interesting point, I have not seen gender confirmed with any need. As most of us are aware gender is surpassed by Brahman - That which is genderless and yet seemingly encompassing both genders.

I have found that there arises different senses of worship or attraction and repulsion based on the forms (or genders) of the Gods. Focusing my mind as appropriate helps to reduce the play of gunas by counter acting them with the force of the Gods. This is why I see the pantheon as my family, with varying roles, all to be loved and cherised. It helps to feel they are not there to be choosen or rejected but revered in their own rights.

I post this as I would be interested if others have similar thoughts or conclusions of their own to share?