PDA

View Full Version : Would it be rude?

Tirisilex
07 May 2010, 10:44 PM
There are several Indian families in my area.. There is like 6 that I am aware of. Would it be rude for me to goto one of these families and ask what path of Sanatana Dharma they follow and if they could teach me or point me in a right direction. I'm also interested in learning Hindi and I was hoping they could help me with that as well..

Is this rude?

devotee
07 May 2010, 11:17 PM
Namaste Trisilex,

I don't know what prompted you to even think like this ! :)

They would be very happy to talk about themselves to you. They would also be very happy to share with you their knowledge & would guide you properly.

A smile is contagious ! :)

OM

Tirisilex
08 May 2010, 01:58 AM
I didn't know if there would be cultural problems with me asking..
I just wanted to be on the safe side before I jumped into something

Sahasranama
08 May 2010, 04:16 AM
That's a great idea. Indians are very friendly to their guests. Give it a try, maybe you'll get some rotties or samosas too, lol.

Sahasranama
08 May 2010, 04:41 AM
double post

NayaSurya
08 May 2010, 06:53 AM
You are lucky to have such families! Good luck!<3

Eastern Mind
08 May 2010, 08:14 AM
Tirisilex:

Take a gift, and give it a shot. But not all Indians are Hindu. You might encounter a Kerala Christian or a Muslim, or a non-Hindi speaker. Even then they wouldn't be offended, and would most likely (99% chance) point you in the right direction.

Here is the story of my initial contact for the fun of it to you. A little determination goes a long way.

1) Guru instructed me to 'find any Sri Lankan Hindus in your city.'
2) Contacted a sister of one of my wife's best friends from our home town who we knew had married a Muslim from India.
3) He referred us to the local North Indian priest.
4) He referred me to the then president of the local Tamil society, a South Indian non practising Hindu, who came to my apartment to meet.
5) He set up a meeting at his house with 3 Sri Lankan recent immigrants, and 3 white Hindus including myself.

That was a about 1976. From there we changed the Hindu world here in Edmonton... lol

So, yes, go for it, and if you do hit an obstacle, go for it again.

Aum Namasivaya

Onkara
09 May 2010, 06:56 AM
These posts are very encouraging and positive. Thank you!

Ashvati
09 May 2010, 10:31 AM
I've been thinking of doing the same thing, but I'm awkward in person as it is and I would be quite nervous. Well, I KIND OF did this once, it was how I found out where to find a temple. I went into a Kwik-Stop early on in my last job and in unfortunate accordence with stereotype, the people working there happened to be an indian man and his mother. For the first two weeks I just went in to buy junk food during my lunch break and left, but then I decided to ask them where I could find a temple. They asked what kind and when I said "Hindu" they looked at me like "wait, what?" for a moment before noticing the pendant of Durga Maa I wore around my neck at the time and not only happily told me, but showed me a little crystal with a picture of Durga in it that they kept behind the counter with them and the mother's Rudraksha mala (much nicer than mine, the rudrakshas on mine are maybe half an inch wide, a little too big for my taste). Then for a while I watched and Indian Soap opera with them during my lunch breaks (they watched tv while they worked) until I needed to save my money and started bringing lunch from home. Then that job ended, and I haven't seen them anymore since I don't live or work in that city anymore :(