PDA

View Full Version : New Scotsman to the Forum

RobbH
09 May 2010, 03:53 PM
Hey guys,

New to the Forum, as after looking for a spiritual home my friend suggested I research the Sanatana Dharma, given that is such a broad subject I'm here to find out where to start.

I do know I'm interested in the Bhakti aspect of Sanatana Dharma and the worship of one God, but apart from that I'm stuck!

In peace,

RobbH

Ramakrishna
10 May 2010, 11:32 PM
Namaste and welcome to HDF! I hope you will learn more about Sanatana Dharma here, and please feel free to ask any questions you have.

Eastern Mind
11 May 2010, 07:00 AM
Vanakkam RobbH:

Welcome to these forums.

There are several central tenets that would be common to almost everyone within SD.

Some important ones would be non-violence, karma, reincarnation, soul, and absolute conviction in the existence of a higher reality.

My advice would be to start reading these forums and elsewhere. Because Hinduism is so vast , you will find differences. There are 4 major sects, some less common ones, and within each ot these, several schools of thought, so it makes for great exploring.

Aum Namasivaya

NayaSurya
11 May 2010, 07:24 AM
Hàllo and welcome!<3

RobbH
11 May 2010, 07:50 AM
Thanks everyone.

From what little research I've been doing, I already know that I'd like to focus on bakhti, either through shaivism or vaishnavism.

Eastern Mind
11 May 2010, 08:35 AM
Vannakkam: Bhakti is a wonderful path. You get help from the Gods, who some (like me) believe are actual mystical beings able to help out. Have you been to any temples?

Aum namasivaya

RobbH
11 May 2010, 11:50 AM
Vannakkam: Bhakti is a wonderful path. You get help from the Gods, who some (like me) believe are actual mystical beings able to help out. Have you been to any temples?

Aum namasivaya

I haven't yet. There is one in Glasgow, which is about 40km away from where I live, so it's not that far.

The thing is I don't have any Hindu friends, to ask to go with me, so it would be a bit like going into the unknown. I did email the Temple (bit too shy to call, lol) but I'm waiting for a reply!

I too believe the Gods to be real - or as real at least as the One God they are all various forms of!

Believer
05 July 2010, 09:35 PM
Robb, you might start with an ISKCON (Hare Krishna) temple near you. The temples are run by the (country of location) natives - in US they are all run by Americans - and they conduct their Sunday weekly service (starting at around 5:30 PM) in English, so you will feel right at home. Bhakti is their path which coincides with your chosen path too. Good luck and do let us know how it turns out.