PDA

View Full Version : Prayers for the soul of deceased pet

Ramakrishna
11 May 2010, 08:47 PM
Namaste,

One of the finches that my family had for the last two and a half years passed away this morning after suffering from some illness for the past several weeks. I was never very close to the bird, but I still enjoyed it's company and would take care of it. However, my mother grew very close to it and has been grieving.

I have asked God to bless the soul of the bird and that it may move on to a higher form of life. I also chanted the Gayatri Mantra over the bird's body and I have been chanting the mantra throughout the day thinking of the bird. But are there any specific prayers for the souls of dead ones? I guess this would apply to the souls of dead people as well since a soul is a soul and it has no one fixed body.

This is the first death I have experienced since I became a devout Hindu. I was still pretty close to the bird, but I guess one of the reasons I am not mourning very much is because I really do fully understand and believe that the bird's soul is immortal and hopefully has moved on to a higher form of life and is closer to attaining moksha. But I am wondering if anybody knows any specific prayers for the soul, prayers to bless the soul and that is may move up to a higher form of life.

Hare Krishna

Ashvati
11 May 2010, 09:33 PM
I know that the Rig Veda contains hymns for funerals. I have also heard of Shiva's bull, Nandi, being the guardian of quadropeds and thus most animals, but then its a bird not a quadroped so Vishnu's mount Garuda may be more appropriate to pray to. Then again after death its a soul and no longer an animal so neither may apply.

One of my best friends has a dog that's very sick so this thread is of interest to me as well.

Ramakrishna
17 May 2010, 10:25 PM
Oh come on, surely there are people on this forum that know Hindu prayers for the dead!

mcshantihank
26 May 2010, 02:25 PM
Oh come on, surely there are people on this forum that know Hindu prayers for the dead!
maybe Kali devi can help you. pray to her. she is the divine mother. read abut paramahamsa krishnananda and you will understand.