PDA

View Full Version : The Transcendent Knowledge of the Gita!

TatTvamAsi
15 May 2010, 02:13 AM
Namaste,

I was talking to a family member the other day about the Gita and suddenly something came up in the conversation: time!

The Gita is 18 chapters (as a book) and has roughly 700 SlokAs.

From a rationalistic perspective, it would be kind of weird for Krishna and Arjuna to converse for that long; potentially taking more than a day!

Thus, the message of the Gita had to have been transmitted telepathically to Arjuna.

If not, I can imagine a comedy of this:

Krishna is revealing the secrets of the universe to Arjuna and the others are far away on each side saying, "Hey, it's getting late for tea!" Or, "Hey, we have to get back to playing shatranj (chess) so hurry up!" The actual transmission of the Gita must have been for only a few moments; as Arjuna realizes the infinitude of Achyutananda (Krishna).

What do you think about this?

Namaskar.

devotee
15 May 2010, 03:46 AM
Namaste,

I was talking to a family member the other day about the Gita and suddenly something came up in the conversation: time!

The Gita is 18 chapters (as a book) and has roughly 700 SlokAs.

From a rationalistic perspective, it would be kind of weird for Krishna and Arjuna to converse for that long; potentially taking more than a day!

Thus, the message of the Gita had to have been transmitted telepathically to Arjuna.

If not, I can imagine a comedy of this:

Krishna is revealing the secrets of the universe to Arjuna and the others are far away on each side saying, "Hey, it's getting late for tea!" Or, "Hey, we have to get back to playing shatranj (chess) so hurry up!" The actual transmission of the Gita must have been for only a few moments; as Arjuna realizes the infinitude of Achyutananda (Krishna).

What do you think about this?

Namaskar.

"Time was stopped by Lord Krishna" while this teaching was being imparted to Arjuna. Nobody, except two others (Sanjaya and Dhritrashtra, by the grace of Vedavyas) knew what happened between Krishna and Arjuna.

So for others it never "happened".

OM

Sahasranama
15 May 2010, 04:13 AM
It doesn't take that long to recite the gita. Around 4 hours.