PDA

View Full Version : Types of altars

SethDrebitko
17 May 2010, 09:25 PM
I was wondering if anyone has used or seen a non standard style of alter. I have seen a whole bunch of pics of people with Hindu figures tattooed on their chests, and instantly thought a very personal alter would be a simple framed mirror set before some one with the figures of their alter reflecting on their chest.
The ultimate symbolism of oneness with all in physical form: or a blasphemy?

sambya
18 May 2010, 02:38 AM
before someone else comes in and bashes you up , let me quickly make you understand some fundamental concepts in hinduism .

images of gods and other holy symbols are considered too sacred by hindus to have them tattooed on themselves. for that would mean stepping in places which are traditionally considered unclean , such as a toilet , with the pic on . of course some men in india do have symbols like 'om' tattooed on them , but that is more of a western influence than indigenous style .

secondly for devotees who really love their ishtas , the ishta and his pictures become the same. any damage to a picture causes pain to the heart of the bhakta . so its is impossible that he can wear a tatoo around , rub soap over it while bathing etc etc .

forms of gods and goddesses invoke the power of that particular form instantly whether we percieve it or not . so it would be incorrect again to do any such thing .

this whole concept is typically of western(hippie ?) origin . :)

ScottMalaysia
18 May 2010, 03:03 AM
I was wondering if anyone has used or seen a non standard style of alter. I have seen a whole bunch of pics of people with Hindu figures tattooed on their chests, and instantly thought a very personal alter would be a simple framed mirror set before some one with the figures of their alter reflecting on their chest.
The ultimate symbolism of oneness with all in physical form: or a blasphemy?

I have never heard of an altar the way you describe.

The altar that we are going to use is a bookcase. I will simply not put in the top two or three shelves to give me space to hang the pictures.

South Indian altars are often built as like a cabinet, with an area for the pictures and puja equipment to be placed, and drawers below for storing incense and other equipment. Here is a picture of one:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_6EGjAQ-bw7o/S_I53JcOgpI/AAAAAAAACqI/n0f8kLpmvjs/s400/Sungai%20Siput%20Dua%20013.jpg

The picture on the top of the altar is Lord Ganesha, and the metal symbol is the syllable 'Om" in the Tamil script, along with the vel, the spear carried by Lord Murugan. The pictures on the back of the altar are Lord Ganesha (left), Lord Shiva (upper centre), Sathya Sai Baba (upper right), and Lord Murugan (the three pictures in the lower right). The two pictures on either side are Lord Hanuman (left) and Goddess Durga (right). They aren't visible; I just remember that. In the centre is an oil lamp that is either kept lit during the day or lit for puja. In front of the bananas (which are an offering) is a camphor lamp, which is waved around the Deities.

I haven't seen a North Indian home altar, because I haven't befriended any North Indian Hindus to the point where they have invited me to their house. From what I have seen in shops that sell Hindu puja equipment, they use statues more than pictures in their home altars. Some South Indian Hindus use statues, but my mother-in-law said to me that if you use statues then you have to be very devout and never miss a prayer. Other Hindus obviously don't have the same beliefs and have statues on their altars.

Eastern Mind
18 May 2010, 07:02 AM
Vannakam Seth:

Perhaps you have not looked at this thread.

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=4298&highlight=pictures+shrine

Aum namasivaya

SethDrebitko
18 May 2010, 09:44 AM
sambya, I had not thought of it in that context only in the sense of symbolizing closeness, thank you for that perspective.

Eastern Mind, I have seen that thread, it is great!

I was mostly just curious if these tattoos people get could in some way be channeled into a positive purpose. I was coming at things more from the mindset that everything is innately of the divine and that we are then in turn our most personal of shrines. I can see your point though about the disrespect to the deity, but only have a few questions.

Is the fear of tattooing the deity that you would dishonor it through your actions, or just as a respect thing?

Also, it seems like the invocation of a deity would be a positive desired thing to have always. Could you possibly elaborate why you may not want to invoke a god/goddess at all times?

sambya
18 May 2010, 10:13 AM
its not like the deity would be offended if someone tattoo him on his skin . its like , a sign of respect to him . a gesture of respect . like-- " you are my object of respect(or love if hes your ishta) and i wouldnt reduce you to a palyful painting over me . you will always remain as the deity in the temple , at my home altar and in my heart . "

SethDrebitko
18 May 2010, 10:20 AM
So it is not offense, it is just a bigger sign of devotion to specifically carve a part of your home out as offering to them that they may dwell where you dwell?