PDA

View Full Version : New Soul Seeking Spiritual Growth

Shovel
24 May 2010, 08:09 AM
Hello everyone! I'm Stephen, 20 years old, and I live in the United States. I have been on a long spiritual journey and am looking to further evolve myself. I was raised southern baptist Christian for the first 18 years of my life, grew resentful, and was very anti-religion for awhile after that. But ever since December of last year, I have found my way on this path.

My philosophy is that of Unitarian Universalism, but I am finding that my personal belief structure reflects a Hinduistic nature. I really don't know much about the religion other than the core beliefs and a basic understanding of the Bhagavad Gita. I am seeking your guidance.

I hope to be a positive influence here and that we can learn valuable insights from each other. :]

Odion
25 May 2010, 06:04 AM
Welcome Stephen!

Eastern Mind
25 May 2010, 08:35 AM
Vannakkam Shovel:

Welcome to the forums.

UU would be in contradiction to most traditional orthodox paths within Hinduism, as it would cause confusion in the seeker. At least that is what most of us would believe. Having said that, there is 'liberal' Hinduism, which would be where you will fall. The orthodox Hindu would accept and respect other paths, but not 'follow' them at all.

Aum Namasivaya

sambya
25 May 2010, 11:00 PM
hinduism as grown out of complex beliefs spanning over millenias . so you need deep focus and unlimited patience to understand some of its structure !

ways and sects of hinduism are many , so in case you want to actually realize god , you need to figure out where you actually fit in . reading is of great help . start with basics like gita .

may god help you in your path ......... :)

SethDrebitko
26 May 2010, 11:57 AM
Welcome! Looking forward to learning more right along with your.

UU would be in contradiction to most traditional orthodox paths within Hinduism, as it would cause confusion in the seeker. At least that is what most of us would believe. Having said that, there is 'liberal' Hinduism, which would be where you will fall. The orthodox Hindu would accept and respect other paths, but not 'follow' them at all.

Basically all paths, within Hinduism, lead to God.

Yam
26 May 2010, 08:44 PM
Hi Stephen,

I am new here too. I read your post and thought to recommend a book. It is called Sri Shankaracharya Life and Philosophy by Swami Mukhyananda.

As being a member of the Unitarian Universalist you may like to find how Sri Shankara was the greatest harmonizer in the Hindu tradition.

Ramakrishna
28 May 2010, 02:22 PM
Namaste, and welcome to HDF!

devotee
28 May 2010, 06:36 PM
Welcome to HDF, Stephen ! :)

OM