PDA

View Full Version : Life span calculations

NayaSurya
25 May 2010, 08:34 PM
Recently wonderful Yajvan informed me of the fact that one could determine longevity of lifespan from an individual's chart. This was very interesting because I have been working on my chart for several years and just began picking back up work on it:P

Many years ago I studied western horoscope creation and learned to do these for family and friends. But have switched over to Jyotish and the more better detailed charts from the East.

I went looking on my own for the past day to find information on how to calculate this and I found a good link for a basic assessment.

Since it was so goodly, I thought I would share it with you<3

http://www.cyberastro.com/services/LifeSpan_Page.asp

There are many useful pages on that website!

My life span was medium length...so I will have to be careful to raise my children before I hit 70:P

Eastern Mind
25 May 2010, 09:57 PM
Vannakkam Adorer of Siva:

Yajvan also said that many people wish not to know, just like many like to be surprised at the gender of a child, yet most are given the opportunity to know.

For me personally, I'm ready. I've been to Palani. Maybe my lucky day will be tomorrow. Bring on the shadow. But likewise if I'm here another 40 years or so, so be it.

Aum Namasivaya

NayaSurya
26 May 2010, 11:07 AM
Namaste to you Brother Adorer.

I am sure there are many who would rather not know, but they don't have to go to the link and fill in that information.

But, for those who do, it's an interesting tool. I was grateful to find it after such a long search.:p

I hardly ever get surprised, most things I see coming a mile away...so I do seek surprises...but this is one of those times, I do not have the luxury of being surprised because I have so much depending on me. If I get the twins raised and well on their feet...I could then never worry about this again. This is my primary goal for the next 16 years.

yajvan
26 May 2010, 12:03 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namast&#233;

There are many techniques for calculating one's life span. I favor jaimini-muni's knowledge found in his upadeśa sūtra-s. It is called the method of 3 pairs.
It allows one to look at the results 3 different ways.

Method 1
It focuses on movable fixed and dual signs and their influences.
The 3 ways MUST consider the 8th house - house of longevity. Now for the novice, the 8th house is not the 8th house as one would view it in a chart.
This wisdom come from the paramparā ( tradition) ; it is one reason the novice gets the calculations and results wrong, based upon the incorrect calculation Of the 8th house.
This will not be an offering by me as it requires a skilled jyotish śiṣya to do the other calculations also. The method must also consider the 1st house, as that is 'life' (āyus&#185;) and one's lagna
of when one entered this life span.

Method 2
Considers saturn and the moon and the signs (rāśi&#185; ) they occupy.

Method 3
Considersthe lagna and the hora lagna

There are exceptions and rules for each method above. Then the 3 ways are reviewed ( compared and contrasted) and one then can see the life spans and see how they ( the 3) line up.

Short
Middle
Long If all of the methods say 'long' then the confidence goes up. Yet you can have various combinations Long-long short, Short-short-long, etc.

Hence when there is unclear indications then jaimini-muni offers special rules one can look to which will not be reviewed here.

For me I am satisfied with my duration and how my end shall come... We look to several indications on how the end ( what event/action) will transpire.
One method is where the ātmakāraka (jiva/soul significator) resides in the chart. It (ātmakāraka) is considered the King in one's chart, the soul, jiva, Self. It indicates one's purpose in this life.
Its location is called the kāraka lagna in the natal chart and the kārakakāṁśa in the 1/9th divisional chart called the navāmśa. Very important places to be considered.

praṇām

words

rāśi - is a heap, a mass, a pile, a group; in joytiṣ it is the name given to sign, as a collection point.
āyus - life , vital power , vigour , health , duration of life

NayaSurya
26 May 2010, 02:07 PM
The more I read and learn from you, most respected Yajvan, the more I am reminded that I know nothing.

You send me down the most amazing series of rabit holes every time I read your replies. I do feel your very words are a gift from the Divine.

Thank you for taking the time to explain this further.

I now have to figure out how Atmakaraka can be figured out when several planets have this same peculiar 21 deg.

Could I ask your opinion of including Rahu into this for consideration?

My Rahu and Mars have the same 21 degrees...which is the highest in my chart...and so it is an important question to ask someone who is more learned.

yajvan
26 May 2010, 03:00 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namast&#233; nayasurya,

I now have to figure out how Atmakaraka can be figured out when several planets have this same peculiar 21 deg.

Could I ask your opinion of including Rahu into this for consideration?

My Rahu and Mars have the same 21 degrees...which is the highest in my chart...and so it is an important question to ask someone who is more learned.

Note the following:

The ātmakāraka is is the planet with the highest degree in any one rāśi&#185;. Yet be mindful this includes degrees&#186; minutes ' and seconds " .
Example: guru (jupiter) is at 24&#186; 14' 44" and śukla (venus) is at 24&#186; 14' 40" , then guru is deemed ātmakāraka . We use the complete angle-degree.
Regarding rāhu&#185; , note the following;

rāhu travels in reverse (backwards) through the zodiac. When rāhu enters a sign ( called saṃkrānti &#185;) its location in that sign rāśi is 29&#186; 59' 59" . One would think this is the highest degree that graha could be in. But for the nodes ( rāhu and ketu) it is the lowest position because they just entered the sign, albiet backwards, see my point?
Example: guru (jupiter) is at 24&#186; 14' 44" and rāhu is 29&#186; 59' 59" , who is the ātmakāraka ? guru is deemed ātmakāraka.
Also there are many posts offered here in the Jyotish folder on ātmakāraka. Perhaps when there is time and interest we can expand the conversation to include all the other cara (movable, changing) kāraka-s , 8 in all.

praṇām

words

rāhu - from the root √ rabh - " the seizer " ;rāhu seizes the sun and moon and thus cause eclipses. He is the natural bādhaka in one's chart.
rabh - to take hold of , grasp , clasp , embrace
bādhaka - oppressing , harassing , paining ; not to be confused with bhadāka which is fortune, prosperity.
rāśi - is a heap, a mass, a pile, a group; in joytiṣ it is the name given to sign, as a collection point.
saṃkrānti - course or passage or entry into , transference to; going from one place to another
graha seizing , laying hold of , holding i.e. a graha ~seizes~ or influences the circumstances of the native. This is done via the tattva they manage and control.

satay
26 May 2010, 03:25 PM
Namaskar,
How accurate is the link because it's making me worried. It shows my wife and my daugther having short life span!

No wonder God doesn't make us aware of such things!