PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy for Moon sign and Ishta Devata

Darji
30 May 2010, 01:39 PM
When Yajvan-ji sent me my chart I was curious to what it meant and went around and started doing a few "free" charts online and soon discovered something. None of them matched Yajvan's! I was perplexed as how can a star be in two different places for the same day and time!?

Well I have come to figure out that the differences lay in using Local time (Yajvan-ji) as opposed to a flat time zone (free Jyotish charts). In my case the difference a mere 13 minutes different. While not that different in Rasi, which changed my moon sign by one house, but in Navamsa, my Atmakaraka that points to Ishta Devata changed by four houses =O

What I am curious about is which of the two charts would be correct? The uber accurate local time or the flat time zone? which is most used?

Also one needs to wonder how accurate the times are on ones birth certificate here in the west. For instance my BC states my time of birth as 18:50, but my Mum swears I was born in the morning and in my baby book the time is written as 7:45 (I believe it's been years since I looked).

None the less here are my two charts; The first being configured as Yajvan does his using actual STD Local time. The second is using the flat DST (summer time) of -5 GMT. Yes was born in Yankville, Father taught Uni there.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d88/cluric/std.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d88/cluric/DST.jpg

Interesting huh? well I thought so. In addition to pointing out the differences I thought the two of these could be used to show how to find ones Ishta Devata. While Yajvan's articles on the subject are good, they don't go into enough detail on what to do when you have two signs as in the first chart, and how to sort out if you have no sign in the house. I know Yajvan said "Then we look at the strongest aspect of a graha on the 12th house. That is, graha dristi ( or the graha looking at 12th house) or rasi dristi , a graha in another house looking from that house to the 12th house." But where exactly are these graha dristi's? which ones look upon which houses and what if none of the graha dristi's have signs as well?

D

yajvan
30 May 2010, 04:05 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté darji (et.al)

Consider this also... birth time is not when one exits mother - even though important, but it is when the umbilical cord it cut. Then one is considered truly birthed.

praṇām

NayaSurya
30 May 2010, 04:41 PM
Here in the 1970's and earlier the women were completely knocked out, children were born the cord immediately cut and removed to the incubator while Mother's slept. So children born in this time have a very accurate birth time. But, things have changed and natural birth is now standard, so children are often allowed to nurse before the cord is cut.-

Now onto the discussion about Ishta Devata...

If there is no planet in the house for Ishta Devata... I have read many times that you would then look to the lord of that particular house to find the Ishta Devata.

If there are more than one planet in the house when determining the Atmakaraka or the Ishta Devata then you would take the one with the highest degree. With the exception of Ketu, because it is not considered and if you have Rahu it is backwards so it would not usually be the one to win out over this. As in my chart....

Planet Sign Degrees Retrograde? Nakshatra
Ascendant Cancer 104.32 Direct Pushya 4 Scorpio
Sun Leo 122.288 Direct Magha 1 Aries
Moon Cancer 104.546 Direct Pushya 4 Scorpio
Mars Capricorn 291.193 Retrograde Shravana 4 Cancer
Mercury Leo 135.1 Retrograde PurvaPhalguni 1 Leo
Jupiter Scorpio 214.229 Direct Anuradha 1 Leo
Venus Leo 120.003 Direct Magha 1 Aries
Saturn Taurus 42.109 Direct Rohini 1 Aries
Rahu Capricorn 291.193 Retrograde Shravana 4 Cancer
Ketu Cancer 111.193 Retrograde Ashlesha 2 Capricorn

Okay so Mars wins out over Rahu as my Atmakaraka and the house behind it is empty so if I were looking for my Ishta Devata I would take the lord of this house.

This is what I have come to understand, and I hope it helps.

However, if at anytime I post something inaccurate it would be my greatest most sincere wish for you all to let me know. I am not perfect and expect to make many mistakes. Thank you in advance<3

NayaSurya
30 May 2010, 05:10 PM
Also would you care to share the website which drew up your chart. I would love to put my information in to see if it changes from the three others I have used?

yajvan
30 May 2010, 05:26 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namast&#233; darji, nayasurya

Here in the 1970's and earlier the women were completely knocked out, children were born the cord immediately cut and removed to the incubator while Mother's slept. So children born in this time have a very accurate birth time. But, things have changed and natural birth is now standard, so children are often allowed to nurse before the cord is cut.-
Yes, but not universally applied.... if 'here' is the USA, perhaps so. Now why do I mention this? as seconds pass by, the D60 chart is changing, indicating former life matters.

If there is no planet in the house for Ishta Devata... I have read many times that you would then look to the lord of that particular house to find the Ishta Devata.

Yes, this is one view, another view is the greatest influence on the 12th from kārakāṁśa. This includes grāhaka & rāśi driśti ( sight).

There also is another way and that is the association of ketu with a grāhaka. Ketu ( the mokśa kāraka) associates with a grāhaka and takes on his 'head'. This grāha then indicates who is the iṣṭadevatā. I have not been taught this approach but have read it and it is attractive to me, yet I cannnot substantiate it, hence cannot recommend it.

praṇām

NayaSurya
30 May 2010, 05:37 PM
Sorry:p

Yes, I meant USA pre-1980

Darji
30 May 2010, 06:33 PM
the greatest influence on the 12th from kārakāṁśa. This includes grāhaka & rāśi driśti ( sight).

I alluded to this in the first post, you talk briefly about it in your thread on the subject of ishta devata, but you don't actually say what, where, and how, about this. What is the rāśi driśti, where do you find it and how do you apply it. Take my second chart as an example and please show us how this is applied to gain Ishta Devata from these influences. :)

yajvan
30 May 2010, 07:32 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

The (interesting) question I would have would be the following ... we know the atma-kārakā indicates kārakāṁśa and the 12th there from will help identify the iṣṭadevatā.

So no doubt this kārakāṁśa position is an important place , no? So, what of the lord (grāhaka) of this kārakāṁśa and house/bhāva it occupies? What does it perhaps indicate , and what of the sign ( rāśi ) of the kārakāṁśa , are there indications?

For Pisces as kārakāṁśa rāśi - one is law abiding ( hint: who owns Pisces and what is his kāraka indications) , religious in merit; yet there is the danger possibility from of drowning (Pisces , a water sign). Say this grāhaka is positioned in the 5th house. The person follows dharma ( 5th is higher knowledge), is blessed by parents, and may enjoy fortunes. Fortune can also be more the finances, yes?

What else is interesting? The kārakāṁśa represents the desire of the soul - so says paṇḍita sanjay rath. But what then of the lagnāṁśa ( lagna of the 1/9th divisional chart)?
Now we have the body (lagnāmsa) and the soul (kārakāṁśa). What if these are aligned, in harmony? We have the delight for one fulfilling their full potential on this earth.

This is where it is wise for the interested jyotish student to read and study jaimini-muni's knowledge found in his upadeśa sūtra-s.

praṇām

NayaSurya
30 May 2010, 08:47 PM
Could I offer a really good website for figuring the aspects out?

http://www.astrologyguild.com/basicsvedic1.htm

Once you sit down with your chart on Paint, it is very easy to mark the locations of the Graha Drishti and the Rasi Drishtri.

See?

Also if you see on my chart, I think this is right:p that Saturn influences the house inwhich my Ishta Devata would be...so this would could be something I could look into.

Here is what my chart looked like once I plug in some of the Graha Drishti.

NayaSurya
30 May 2010, 09:59 PM
I sat here reading this many times, the more times I read...the more times I realize...WAIT! I am in Pisces!:p

So no doubt this kārakāṁśa position is an important place , no? So, what of the lord (grāhaka) of this kārakāṁśa and house/bhāva it occupies? What does it perhaps indicate , and what of the sign ( rāśi ) of the kārakāṁśa , are there indications?

Yes it is important the Lord of Pisces is Jupiter/Guru.

"When the Atmakaraka is in Pisces Navamsha, the native will do righteous things and will attain final liberation or emancipation (Moksha)."

Here are some new links to expand on this subject-

http://jyotishvidya.com/ch33.htm

http://www.barbarapijan.com/bpa/Topics/jaimini_karaka.htm

http://hinduism.about.com/library/weekly/extra/bl-zodiac.htm

What else is interesting? The kārakāṁśa represents the desire of the soul - so says paṇḍita sanjay rath. But what then of the lagnāṁśa ( lagna of the 1/9th divisional chart)?
Now we have the body (lagnāmsa) and the soul (kārakāṁśa). What if these are aligned, in harmony? We have the delight for one fulfilling their full potential on this earth.

My Lagna is Cancer ruled by the Lord Moon which makes my body a Mother-

Ultimately so...every breath this is apparent.

My Karakamsa, the desire of the soul....and I am not sure what to make of it.

This soul has two immediate desires...to raise my 8 children. To serve God, he couldn't have made me find my way back to simply continue in this isolated state forever...could he?

Why give someone such intimate knowledge without a reason? To what end?

I know there is no one who can answer this but He, so I await the orders.

Yajvan, if you could see my desktop it has literally 20 pages opened. My computer is ready to die from the strain of my learning!

MahaHrada
31 May 2010, 05:48 AM
A very good quality jyotish freeware able to do a lot of computations can be downloaded from the link below. Even if it is "only" freeware it is quite complex and even better than some of the commercial software.

Jagannatha Hora

http://www.vedicastrologer.org/jh/index.htm