PDA

View Full Version : Namaste (:

Alise
31 May 2010, 04:25 PM
Namaste,

My name's Alice, I'm 16 and I live in Latvia. Sadly I'm not a hindu, but I've loved asian culture since I was child [Well... when I was pre-schooler I didn't know India was asian country]. I was catholic, but now I'm kind of anti-christianity...
Like many people world wide I misuderstood Sanathana dharma, but it all started with interest in ayurveda & then I actually found information that changed my view. Funny thing is that I actually have birth mark, where hindu brides have bindi. I also read that people are into religions from past lifes & birth marks also from what happened in past lifes (if you understand what I mean, I think I made this too confusing).
BTW I could consider myself Shaivite one. But I can't formally convert, due the fact that Latvia has ISKCON temple, but that is all I can find. [I got reply saying, that ISKCON wants to be considered religion itself, not within Sanathana Dharma]

I'm sorry for any spelling & grammar mistakes. My computer doesn't work, but this one doesn't have spell-check. Sorry that I wrote so long & confusing.

Have a nice day,
~Alice

goodlife
03 June 2010, 10:32 AM
welcome Alice

i hope you have a good time interacting with the members of the forum.

goodlife

Eastern Mind
03 June 2010, 12:03 PM
Vannakkam Alice;

Welcome to these forums. I believe it is true what you said about birthmarks. It can also be a sign of past karmas.

There is a nice Saiva temple in Hamm, Germany, dedicated to Ganesha.
Not sure of your circumstances or distances as I'm in Canada.

Aum Namasivaya

saidevo
03 June 2010, 08:20 PM
namaste Alice.

From Russia with love for Hinduism! Welcome to HDF! As for the absence of a temple of your preferred deity, there are many Websites you can have online darshan, e.g.: http://www.ganesh.us/online-darshan.html

You are surely among the youngest members of HDF, and your interest in SanAtana Dharma from such an early age will take you to heights, I am sure, with disciplined follow-up.

Ramakrishna
03 June 2010, 09:36 PM
Namaste Alice,

Welcome to HDF! I know exactly what you are saying about the birth marks, as I have read things about how birthmarks are signs of what happened in your past lives. It is quite amazing. I hope you enjoy your time here, and if you have any questions about Sanatana Dharma feel free to ask.

Hare Krishna

Odion
04 June 2010, 04:47 AM
Welcome to HDF!

Alise
04 June 2010, 12:04 PM
thanks for welcoming (: I was afraid that I will not be accepted, but thank you very much. I have question about texts. You know transliteration of Hindi/Sanskrit/or any other language... Why some letters are capital in word? As latvian, hindi is read like it's written, so for me it's easy, but I'm just learning hindi alphabet, so when I find transliteration:

shrIvishvanAthakaruNAmR^itapUrNasindho shItAMshukhaNDasamalaMkR^itabhavyachUDa |bhasmA~NgarAgaparishobhitasarvadeha vArANasIpurapate tava suprabhAtam ||

It's in sanskrit (transliterated) after After getting up in the morning prayer I found on shaivam.org.

So what about capitalized characters, is here topic explaining this?
Have a nice day,
~Alice

Avazjan
05 June 2010, 08:09 AM
Namaste.

That transliteration method is called ITrans, see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITRANS

It is supposed to better represent the phonetics. Personally, I can't stand it, and anything written that way is virtually impossible for me to read, but I understand it works fairly well for other people.

As far as not being a Hindu, and not being able to "formally convert"... I assure you, if you live by the dharma, venerate god in your heart and nurture interest and knowledge in Sanatana Dharma, you are a Hindu. Temples are wonderful but external observation is not strictly necessary and is actually an impediment for some.

May I ask what draws you to Shiva?

Namaste

Alise
06 June 2010, 12:08 PM
Namaste, Avazjan!

Well, as you know 'paths are many, truth is one'. And it really doesn't matter how you call It. I read 'What is Hinduism?' book & compared my beliefs with major sects (I know Hinduism is more personal religion than any other)... But I don't really know why I feel much closer to Shiva than any other God. My beliefs are most closer to Shaivite denomination. Could I know what do you consider yourself?

Have a nice day,
~Alice

Avazjan
07 June 2010, 02:17 AM
Namaste, Avazjan!

Well, as you know 'paths are many, truth is one'. And it really doesn't matter how you call It. I read 'What is Hinduism?' book & compared my beliefs with major sects (I know Hinduism is more personal religion than any other)... But I don't really know why I feel much closer to Shiva than any other God. My beliefs are most closer to Shaivite denomination. Could I know what do you consider yourself?

Have a nice day,
~Alice

Namaste. I am somewhere in between a Shaiva and Shakta, and I identify with both.