PDA

View Full Version : Appalling Denigration of Ramayana by Nina Paley!

TatTvamAsi
05 June 2010, 02:02 PM
Namaste,

I came across an article about a short-film about Ramayana called "Sita Sings the Blues". It was masterminded by a mleccha (who else? :rolleyes:) in the US called Nina Paley.

In summary, this movie is highly deprecating of Rama, Sita, and Hinduism in general. To top it off, the movie begins with a fellow, with an Indian accent too, saying, "The Ramayana is NOT a true story like the bible is!" :banghead:

This is a clear attempt by another christian filth denigrating Hindus and Hinduism. The funny thing is that this female lived in Trivandrum (Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala) with her husband and was dumped soon after! LOL...

She then decided to do this film and portrays many of the characters disrespectfully and with disdain towards Hindus.

Those of you too disgusted to watch the entire thing, a few of the shockers are well described here: http://forumforhinduawakening.org/articles/id/preserving/sita-sings-the-blues

(For example, she shows Rama trampling on Sita's stomach while she is pregnant! :mad: )

Anyway, here is the link to the full movie on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzTg7YXuy34

I am especially keen on hearing your comments regarding this. Is this movie safe-guarded under 'free speech'/'freedom of expression' and consequently should it be allowed? Do you consider protest against such denigration "fundamentalist" or "threatening" as Nina Paley herself considers? Contrarily, why should it be removed and/or banned?

This is a similar situation to that loser MF Husain who was booted out of India for denigrating Hindu Gods and Goddesses.

In my opinion, Hindus should be educated enough about our philosophy, history, and scriptures that they would NOT be perturbed by such transgressions of mlecchas but would be wise enough to ignore it completely. The counterargument is that despite the fact that these "films" etc. are derogatory towards Hindus, they impel non-Hindus to research more about Hindus/Hinduism or the subject in this case, Ramayana.

Obviously, I am perturbed by it and cannot ignore such blatant denigrations of India/Hinduism.

JAI HIND!

Namaskar.

Eastern Mind
05 June 2010, 02:44 PM
Vannakkam:

You can officially protest this from this site. Add your signature.

http://www.hindujagruti.org/denigrations/sitasingstheblues

Apparently some 7000 + people already have.

TTA: Every country has unique laws. In Canada we have a more or less vague law against totally free speech called 'hate crimes'. There have been very few but some successful trials, mostly against anti-Jewish hate. A teacher in my province lost his license and was fined I believe for teaching his students the holocaust was a myth. Of course the Jewish anti-defamation group has some decent lawyers.

Hindus have been getting bashed now for a long time. I believe it was certainly worse during British rule era. Of course we still have your Anne Coulters and Pat Robertsons. I think that in a way they are good, because they let ordinary Christians see how stupid fundamentalism is. It also follows the idea tha any publicity is good publicity. I personally know that decent behaviour goes a very long way in dispelling myths about Hinduism. My Hinduism was never at the forefront on my teaching career although by happenstance it did come out. I was always lead to believe others thought Hinduism must be a good thing by my example.

But America always has and will for a long time yet take great pride in its free speech laws. I think the best we can do is protest. That's exercising the right as well.

HAF (I think), Hinduism Today (the magazine) and a bunch of vegetarian groups did successfully sue McDonald's over the false advertising about french fries. But that is more provable.

Some of your own tone and rhetoric towards Islam and Christianity would be construed as hate by some people in my country. A good lawyer might take on Satay over publishing that on HDF. So it all varies.

Personally, I am not easily offended, but will sign the letter because I don't like to see others getting offended, and understand their reasons.

(Remember the Ganesha statues debate in my city?)

Aum Namasivaya

Sahasranama
05 June 2010, 03:04 PM
I agree with you a 100%.

I have watched Nina Paley's comments on this film and I can tell you that she is welcoming angry reactions from people who have some degree of respect for the Ramayana. That way she can play the victim role against so called terrorists AND the artist hero who goes against the so called religious fundamentalist. She is blowing the critisism she is recieving and a bunch of youtube reactions out of proportion. Somehow any form of protest is only getting her off, it's a stroke to her ego.

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK9LGN6xHNE&feature=channel)

NayaSurya
05 June 2010, 04:35 PM
I watched the video.

One, of the sickening filthy things wrong with this to me, is the fact she has made beautiful modest Sita look like a tramp. All the women in this are half clothed. It's an afront to every woman on the planet.

How can on one hand this women's liber' speak of how weak Sita was, yet this woman has created half clothed women in shameful depictions?

The only thing that brought me peace out of all of this. This woman has been given ill fate since she did it, and still doesn't understand why.

Her husband went to India on business, and instead found his true home.

She insisted on following him halfway across the planet and when she got there she was completely disgusted. But, her husband had become quite infected with the truth and light which is Sanatana Dharma.

Nina Paley is a bitter, ignorant anglo who was dumped by email by her husband while she was peddling this movie to producers in New York.

She was also sued for using the jazz music (it was still under copyright) and had to take out a loan to pay the 50,000 fine.

If someone could figure out the artist for the Indian music in this film...they just might be able to sue her and force her completely to withdraw the movie?

Edit:
I went back and read through the entire credits, it seems she hired certain people to perform those parts of music. But it wouldn't hurt to comb over the whole thing to make sure there isn't anything which could be used to stop her.

Kumar_Das
05 June 2010, 05:19 PM
LOL old stuff. Its a hilarious movie. I like the music score and the narration. The narrations especially were absolutely hilarious.

sanjaya
06 June 2010, 03:49 PM
I'm not sure I get it. Who is this woman, and what's the source of her disdain for Hinduism that motivates her to produce something like this?

I found an interview with her on YouTube, in which she likens Hindus to terrorists. In all liklihood, she won't find herself at the forefront of any terrorist attacks. I would suggest that she try doing the same thing with Islam, but we already know about the fiasco with the Mohammad cartoonists. I have no idea why she would attack a peaceful religion which doesn't sanction attacks against its denigrators. But seeing as how there will be no retaliatory attacks that end her life, hopefully she'll someday realize her mistake.

Eastern Mind
06 June 2010, 04:40 PM
Vannakam Sanjaya:

Some westerners are so naive that they put Islam and Hinduism as brother/sister religions because of geography alone. I know of one Hindu temple that suffered vandalism after 9 - 11. Maybe she is that naive. Your average westerner isn't the brightest light on the street.

Aum Namasivaya

Kumar_Das
06 June 2010, 05:11 PM
I'm not sure I get it. Who is this woman, and what's the source of her disdain for Hinduism that motivates her to produce something like this?

I found an interview with her on YouTube, in which she likens Hindus to terrorists. In all liklihood, she won't find herself at the forefront of any terrorist attacks. I would suggest that she try doing the same thing with Islam, but we already know about the fiasco with the Mohammad cartoonists. I have no idea why she would attack a peaceful religion which doesn't sanction attacks against its denigrators. But seeing as how there will be no retaliatory attacks that end her life, hopefully she'll someday realize her mistake.

Amen.

Vannakam Sanjaya:

Some westerners are so naive that they put Islam and Hinduism as brother/sister religions because of geography alone. I know of one Hindu temple that suffered vandalism after 9 - 11. Maybe she is that naive. Your average westerner isn't the brightest light on the street.

Aum Namasivaya

*facepalm*

If there are two religions who hate each other the most and whose followers are contenders that strangle at each other it cant be any other than Islam vs Hinduism.

Hindus would be deeply offended that anyone would mistake their religion for Islam.

BryonMorrigan
06 June 2010, 05:36 PM
I'm more interested in finding out more about this:

http://blog.beliefnet.com/omsweetom/2010/05/tim-burtons-ramayana-in-3-d.html

Odion
07 June 2010, 03:54 AM
I'm more interested in finding out more about this:

http://blog.beliefnet.com/omsweetom/2010/05/tim-burtons-ramayana-in-3-d.html
Tim Burton, eh? Hmmm.
If it's by him, he'll probably make it weird. I find him kind of creepy!

Your average westerner isn't the brightest light on the street.
Hmmm, I get what you're saying but I personally don't think it's about intelligence or anything, just ignorance. Most Westerners are ignorant of what a Hindu is. They usually see an Indian as someone who has brown skin, and may or may not be a Muslim fanatic. Sometimes those who know of Hinduism usually know so little about it or only have a superficial understanding of it.

I wouldn't say it's their fault, with the Western media obsessing over Islam and Hinduism or even Sikhism almost never coming up on TV, it's no wonder most Westerners have a shoddy understanding or knowledge of Sanatana Dharma's existence. We should try and educate them, as well as let them know: Hindus are not Muslims.

From a friend, I know that you can't say "Hindu" in Spanish because it means Indian. To say "I am Hindu" you also say "I am Indian". That must make it difficult to explain other Dharmic paths.

Eastern Mind
07 June 2010, 06:52 AM
Odion:

Yes, I really meant 'with regard to other cultures'. I personally believe some Americans believe the world ends at their own borders. I know this is a generalisation, and certainly doesn't apply to all. From here in Canada it is more apparent. There are plenty of mocking Youtube videos portraying this stereotype.

Yet there is the conspiracy theory that the American government has in the past purposely underfunded education to keep their citizens naive so they don't go against Conservative Christian ways. Not sure if I buy that one, but a lot of people opt for private schools when they can afford it.

But itf you don't care about something, then why bother to learn about it. I know very little about the Philippines for example.

Aum Namasivaya

Sahasranama
07 June 2010, 07:41 AM
I don't think Nina Paley is unaware though, she is doing this on purpose.

isavasya
07 June 2010, 09:59 AM
Well this is not new, denigration of hindu religion is very common even in Indian film industries. But what makes me feel helpless is the attitude of hindus towards every act of anti-hindus. Most of Indian movies mock on Hindu rituals, show priests as jokers and try to show how by showing Hindu religion being disrespected a new reform is coming in society. Most films potray muslims or even terrorists as heroes. In real life most of the superstars of indian films are ISI agents, you can see jaya parda, govinda, anil kapoor, anu malik etc dancing in show of daud ebrahmin in Dubai. The same people who were dancing so cheaply in courts of big terrorists like daud ebrahmin go on to become member of parliament in India. (ex jaya parda, govinda). what has happened to us, neither we have respect for Hinduism , nor even for India . shame on congressy and communists.

In a film called 'Lajja' madhuri dixit played the role of sita maa and in one scene she rejects to give agni pariksha, I have no problem If a imaginary heroine rejects to give agni parisksha, but why change the thinking and view of real character like maa janki in reel life ? Have we got the right to potray real life people in false way ? some hindus protested against this filthy movie but most were supportive of it. I am sick of attitude of cool hindus of today, their country and religion is being killed each and every day and they enjoy everything as expression of freedom. At the same time none of the Indian films show the fatwa launching mullas as subject.

NayaSurya
07 June 2010, 10:01 AM
Yes, she was angry at her husband for choosing the Indian culture and religion over her. She picked up the Ramayana to try to "understand" why he dumped her...

Watch her interviews, she says this over and over again.

But, how could a man stay with a woman who was denigrating God? The answer to her question lies in her own actions.

I posted on one of her videos explaining it to her...I doubt it will change anything. But she claims to be "educated" so perhaps she can understand.

Sahasranama
07 June 2010, 10:39 AM
@Isavasya

Bollywood indeed has a trend to show respect towards Christianity and Islam while making fun of Hindu culture and religion. Nobody, except the "cool Indians" think much of bollywood films. Most people think they are eclectic, chaotic, long winded and unoriginal. Many muslims around the world love bollywood though.

@ Nayasurya

Realistically, I think her husband left her because she is not that good looking and because she has many personality flaws. It's a miracle she got married in the first place.

Odion
07 June 2010, 11:02 AM
Odion:

Yes, I really meant 'with regard to other cultures'. I personally believe some Americans believe the world ends at their own borders. I know this is a generalisation, and certainly doesn't apply to all. From here in Canada it is more apparent. There are plenty of mocking Youtube videos portraying this stereotype.
Oh, I misunderstood then, sorry. In that case I definitely agree with you here. :)

Yet there is the conspiracy theory that the American government has in the past purposely underfunded education to keep their citizens naive so they don't go against Conservative Christian ways. Not sure if I buy that one, but a lot of people opt for private schools when they can afford it.

To be honest I'm not surprised; public schools are usually chaotic, and the whole "should we teach creationism in the science classroom" fiasco is insane. In what is supposed to be the greatest country on Earth at this time we have people expecting a science professor to say "Of course, there is every possibility that God created the world in six days and made man from the ground"? It'd be laughable if it wasn't so worrying.

But itf you don't care about something, then why bother to learn about it. I know very little about the Philippines for example.

Aum Namasivaya
That's definitely a good point, but what do we do to help those who are genuinely interested learn more? I know a lot of Westerners are who aren't becoming materialists thinking that with death there is nothing are beginning to come closer to Hindu thought, for example pantheism/panentheism, and reincarnation is no longer something that raises an eyebrow, at least, not from my experience anyway (in the UK). There is a lot of misinformation out there after all that come from a superficial understanding of the Dharma.

I do think Nina Paley is doing this deliberately and she is using any criticism to play the martyr. "Those big meanie Hindu fanatics are picking on me and stifling my creativity and free speech!!1" and all that. :rolleyes: She is effectively doing a revenge act, by insulting the culture and history that her partner fell in love with, she is also getting back at him, and at the same time attempting to make Hinduism look a backwards, woman-hating, oppressive (and whatever else she can) faith, when we know nothing is further from the truth. Problem is a lot of the public don't.. :(

@Sahasranama I'm afraid I don't think much of a lot of Bollywood films, myself. So many start out good but seem to be dragged out later on. If anyone here can recommend some good (preferably Sanatana Dharma-influenced, respecting, about, or even stories of the history of the Dharma) Bollywood films for a non Indian speaker it'd be great - but that'd probably de-rail the thread. :D

Kumar_Das
07 June 2010, 12:19 PM
Well this is not new, denigration of hindu religion is very common even in Indian film industries. But what makes me feel helpless is the attitude of hindus towards every act of anti-hindus. Most of Indian movies mock on Hindu rituals, show priests as jokers and try to show how by showing Hindu religion being disrespected a new reform is coming in society. Most films potray muslims or even terrorists as heroes. In real life most of the superstars of indian films are ISI agents, you can see jaya parda, govinda, anil kapoor, anu malik etc dancing in show of daud ebrahmin in Dubai. The same people who were dancing so cheaply in courts of big terrorists like daud ebrahmin go on to become member of parliament in India. (ex jaya parda, govinda). what has happened to us, neither we have respect for Hinduism , nor even for India . shame on congressy and communists.

In a film called 'Lajja' madhuri dixit played the role of sita maa and in one scene she rejects to give agni pariksha, I have no problem If a imaginary heroine rejects to give agni parisksha, but why change the thinking and view of real character like maa janki in reel life ? Have we got the right to potray real life people in false way ? some hindus protested against this filthy movie but most were supportive of it. I am sick of attitude of cool hindus of today, their country and religion is being killed each and every day and they enjoy everything as expression of freedom. At the same time none of the Indian films show the fatwa launching mullas as subject.

How many educated Hindus actually watch Bollywood?

Its always the Muslims and Sikhs who do. Muslims especially and not just Muslims from South Asia but also North Africa, Arabia, Iran and even Central Asia.

TatTvamAsi
08 June 2010, 11:59 PM
Nina Paley is a bitter, ignorant anglo who was dumped by email by her husband while she was peddling this movie to producers in New York.

That is precisely it. Well said!

TatTvamAsi
09 June 2010, 12:01 AM
LOL old stuff. Its a hilarious movie. I like the music score and the narration. The narrations especially were absolutely hilarious.

Since you "LOL" like the movie, you must be a fan of Nina Paley as well. What about MF Husain? You "LOL" love his work too? LOL.. LOL.. LOLOL...

Alise
09 June 2010, 06:05 AM
Namaste

This will be ONLY my opinion & I'm NOT on Nina Paley's side.

So you know I started to watch that movie to actually know what everyone's talking about. Today I almost finished it, but my computer is noit working & my mom's not working, so we use the very old one.... But I saw most of the movie and must say:

Latvia, the country I live in, is very secular country. Many people are in church just because, but they don't care about religion (besides kids now very rude curse words by the age of 7, right now).
If latvians would watch this movie, they wouldn't take it seriously, they would only think about it as parody. And I must say any open-minded teen/adult would never think this is true represention of story. More likely they would want to find the real story and compare. As I have lived in secular world, but when someone is mean to my favorite religion, I'm so angry and try to change that.
Reasons why people will not think this is true:
#1: Title of movie is Sita sings the blues, real story is called Ramayana. Even if movie would be called something like The New Ramayana or anything like that people of other faiths would still understand that it's not true story.
#2: Story telling. Movies with story tellers who argue are not taken seriously.
#3: Different graphics: When movie has different graphics and drawings all the time it's not taken seriously.
#4: She put her own break-up in this movie. In this case this is made clearly thast story she's telling is not real Ramayana.

Read comments on youtube, people who watched this movie would like to read real epic Ramayana.

I remember to find about muslims and their prophet's head on dog's body. And atheist compared to hindus saying, that even though hindus are not allowed to eat beef meat, they don't go into McDonald and say you can't eat it.

I understand Rama is one of Vishnu's avataras, but remember if you are against this movie, just don't care about it. REMEMBER haters make someone more famous then he/she is. I didn't know this movie until you told me.

I wouldn't want kids to watch this, not because they would believe that it's true story of Rama & Sita, but for other reasons...

And also, remember ahimsa (non-violence by words, what you do or what you think) and remember we still have fairness in world, we have karma. She already is in debt, because of this movie. Besides she doesn't represent Hinduism as bad as religious peoples who actually believe what they tell everyone. She read the Ramayana, because it's really popular love story in Sanathana Dharma, so she decided to make fun of it to get back at her husband.

I have read much, much worse things about India (when I went to private school, school had bankrupt and church bought it. In church newspaper there was really bad article about India...) but Sanathana Dharma is really great and beautiful religion and it's religion.

And as I said, I don't take this movie seriously at all.

Sorry, if you really disagree with me.

Have a nice day,
~Alice

TatTvamAsi
11 June 2010, 01:26 AM
Your approach would work with reasonable people.

Nina Paley is NOT a reasonable person. You see, this is the problem with westerners in general. Although they keep a "calm" face and don't raise their voice, they really spew hate and vitriol with their messages. It is really a christian trait; preach love while spewing hate.

Indians are actually the opposite; we are stupidly naive and trusting and take everything, even blatant insults, as innocuous suggestions. If we get upset, we tend to raise our voices and sound unreasonable. Hypocrisy, which comes so easily to the likes of Nina Paley, is foreign to us Hindus.

It is easy to ignore such transgressions and that is what has been done by Hindus for centuries.

The British split our country, stole immense wealth and resources, rewrote our history to suit their peculiar agendas and stereotypes, as well as supported our arch-enemy the terrorist-ridden hell-hole pakistan since its inception.

And what do Indians (Hindus) do? "Chaltha hai yaar!" That is the typical apathetic, ignorant, foolhardy, and highly dangerous reaction of the majority of Hindus. Sadly, any assertive Hindus or those who want to stand with their heads high are labelled as fanatics, extremists, and bigots. Such is Kali Yuga! Only Bhagavan can save us.

I pine for the day we Hindus can live in a world without christians, communists, muslims, and other anti-Hindus. Then there shall be peace, peace, and only peace.

Namaskar.

Namaste

This will be ONLY my opinion & I'm NOT on Nina Paley's side.

So you know I started to watch that movie to actually know what everyone's talking about. Today I almost finished it, but my computer is noit working & my mom's not working, so we use the very old one.... But I saw most of the movie and must say:

Latvia, the country I live in, is very secular country. Many people are in church just because, but they don't care about religion (besides kids now very rude curse words by the age of 7, right now).
If latvians would watch this movie, they wouldn't take it seriously, they would only think about it as parody. And I must say any open-minded teen/adult would never think this is true represention of story. More likely they would want to find the real story and compare. As I have lived in secular world, but when someone is mean to my favorite religion, I'm so angry and try to change that.
Reasons why people will not think this is true:
#1: Title of movie is Sita sings the blues, real story is called Ramayana. Even if movie would be called something like The New Ramayana or anything like that people of other faiths would still understand that it's not true story.
#2: Story telling. Movies with story tellers who argue are not taken seriously.
#3: Different graphics: When movie has different graphics and drawings all the time it's not taken seriously.
#4: She put her own break-up in this movie. In this case this is made clearly thast story she's telling is not real Ramayana.

Read comments on youtube, people who watched this movie would like to read real epic Ramayana.

I remember to find about muslims and their prophet's head on dog's body. And atheist compared to hindus saying, that even though hindus are not allowed to eat beef meat, they don't go into McDonald and say you can't eat it.

I understand Rama is one of Vishnu's avataras, but remember if you are against this movie, just don't care about it. REMEMBER haters make someone more famous then he/she is. I didn't know this movie until you told me.

I wouldn't want kids to watch this, not because they would believe that it's true story of Rama & Sita, but for other reasons...

And also, remember ahimsa (non-violence by words, what you do or what you think) and remember we still have fairness in world, we have karma. She already is in debt, because of this movie. Besides she doesn't represent Hinduism as bad as religious peoples who actually believe what they tell everyone. She read the Ramayana, because it's really popular love story in Sanathana Dharma, so she decided to make fun of it to get back at her husband.

I have read much, much worse things about India (when I went to private school, school had bankrupt and church bought it. In church newspaper there was really bad article about India...) but Sanathana Dharma is really great and beautiful religion and it's religion.

And as I said, I don't take this movie seriously at all.

Sorry, if you really disagree with me.

Have a nice day,
~Alice

anupj
11 June 2010, 01:35 AM
Namaste,
i watched that movie long back, and then i searched the net for any protests to the movie. i found that only some hindus had reacted. But there were no beheadings, no riots, and no bombings that had happened. Basically this is where hindus have won. i read somewhere that she says hindus are terrorists, if that was so then we terrorist hindus are terrorizing everybody peacefully.

and anyways i believe that the audience have a sense of checking out what the original story is, because the whole movie that Nina Paley has produced is just a waste.

pranam

Alise
12 June 2010, 07:46 AM
Namaste,

TTA, I actually wrote her e-mail asking to make things clear (aka telling that she has nothing against hindus and hinduism etc.) and she replied, that she loves hindus and hinduism. And that she has stated that in her interviews & that should be obvious... And that there are many hindus who like this movie & only some hindus misunderstood the purpose of it etc.

I don't have a place in this argument. I do understand her AND I understand hindus. I love Sanathana Dharma very, very, very much and I wouldn't want it to look bad in anything, but people from the West are more interested in searching info about Sanathana Dharma than before. As I stated before - comparing real epic with this movie.

Have a nice day,
~Alice

TatTvamAsi
13 June 2010, 01:31 PM
Namaste,

TTA, I actually wrote her e-mail asking to make things clear (aka telling that she has nothing against hindus and hinduism etc.) and she replied, that she loves hindus and hinduism. And that she has stated that in her interviews & that should be obvious... And that there are many hindus who like this movie & only some hindus misunderstood the purpose of it etc.

I don't have a place in this argument. I do understand her AND I understand hindus. I love Sanathana Dharma very, very, very much and I wouldn't want it to look bad in anything, but people from the West are more interested in searching info about Sanathana Dharma than before. As I stated before - comparing real epic with this movie.

Have a nice day,
~Alice

Hi Alice,

Well, that is truly a surprise! You were able to get a response from her I see.

I'm glad you love Sanatana Dharma.

Nonetheless, I and many other Hindus feel she has portrayed Lord Rama in a negative way.

I want her to make a similar video of jeebus, I mean jesus and muhammad. Can you email her asking her that. I already know what her answer will be. She is a coward because she knows Hindus don't react violently.

Peace...

Odion
13 June 2010, 02:00 PM
I want her to make a similar video of jeebus, I mean jesus and muhammad.
Eep. Could you imagine the reactions worldwide if that was done, or even if one superimposed images, so Rama's head was replaced with Muhammad, and Sita's with Aisha's? Scary.

but people from the West are more interested in searching info about Sanathana Dharma than before. As I stated before - comparing real epic with this movie.
Ahhh, at least a good thing is coming out of something not so good, don't you think so? :)

Sahasranama
12 September 2010, 07:56 AM
article from hinduism Today:

http://www.hinduismtoday.com/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=5123