PDA

View Full Version : Shoes

NayaSurya
05 June 2010, 05:46 PM
Hello, Recently I went through my local stores and realized that almost every single shoe was leather, or had parts which were leather. All the dress shoes were this way, all sandals with the exception of the flip flop and even many of them were also leather.

Could you all tell me your favorite shoes? Especially dress shoes for boys and men? Also belts for business attire? We could only find fabric with leather ends which makes the purchase pointless.

Thank you so much for your help.<3

ScottMalaysia
05 June 2010, 09:08 PM
I understand the trouble it can take to get non-leather shoes. The sad thing is that most Westerners are sick and want genuine leather shoes so that's what the stores cater to. They don't realise that to other people such as Hindus, leather shoes are extremely offensive.

I got my shoes from the Warehouse, a local department store. I have a pair of sports shoes that I normally wear which of course aren't leather, but finding a pair of dress shoes that were synthetic took longer. The shoes here say on the sole what they're made of (Synthetic Upper, Synthetic Lining etc).

Maybe trying some budget shops might turn up some synthetic shoes. Leather, after all, is expensive, so if you go looking for cheap shoes, then they probably won't be leather.

If you want an alternative, try http://www.vegetarian-shoes.co.uk/ They can ship to the United States for &#163;12 (around US$17).

Eastern Mind
06 June 2010, 06:45 AM
Vannakam Naya:

Have you tried just googling, 'vegan shoes' or such things? They are more available on line especially than 20-30 years ago. There are also the canvas/denim/rubber ones we wore when we were kids.

Aum Namasivaya

NayaSurya
06 June 2010, 09:13 AM
Actually, the shoes we wear almost all the time here are Converse canvas chucks from the 1970's. I'm an old school girl and the children loved the style because apparently it is back "in" they tell me:P

My most favorite pair is Converse One Star denim low rise sneaks. We all have a pair in this house. But we had to buy them online because the stores only have DC, NIKE and Adidas 100&#37; leather and partial leather.

We got lucky to find Chuck's at Target online..But for business shoes, this has been impossible.

lol I have to giggle about the title vegan shoes. I was searching for canvas or "looks like leather".

It didn't occur to me that vegan applied to clothes products so thank you<3

ScottMalaysia
06 June 2010, 08:34 PM
lol I have to giggle about the title vegan shoes. I was searching for canvas or "looks like leather".

The keyword 'leather' in searches like the one you did will bring up real leather products. Try 'artificial leather shoes', 'fake leather shoes', or 'vegetarian shoes'.

kiya kabooter
29 August 2010, 11:41 PM
Actually, the shoes we wear almost all the time here are Converse canvas chucks from the 1970's. I'm an old school girl and the children loved the style because apparently it is back "in" they tell me:P

My most favorite pair is Converse One Star denim low rise sneaks. We all have a pair in this house. But we had to buy them online because the stores only have DC, NIKE and Adidas 100% leather and partial leather.

We got lucky to find Chuck's at Target online..But for business shoes, this has been impossible.

I love Chuck Taylors! :) They will always be in fashion in my mind, though I don't care much these days what is in fashion. Too much work! :)

And yes, "vegan" extends to anything worldly you can think of. Well, the concept anyway - the practice, not so much.

NetiNeti
30 August 2010, 12:10 AM
Mens Dress shoes: Walmart and Payless. State street brand has a lot of nice shoes, non-leather for a good price.

Belts: Skate shops in the mall like pac-sun have cheap fake leather belts.

I try to dress very fashionable and have very little trouble finding vegan versions of current trends. A little internet research gets it done.

PARAM
30 August 2010, 08:13 AM
This is an old tradition,
One of the reasons for the defeats of Hindus by Muslims was that, Muslim Cavalry used saddle made of leather, and Hindus used cloth materials that made Hindu Cavalry slow.