PDA

View Full Version : sanātana dharma - upholding

yajvan
06 June 2010, 07:05 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

When we talk of sanātana dharma, the words are quite telling as to the profoundness of the darśna¹ ( sight/system).

sanātana is defined as eternal , perpetual , permanent , everlasting , primeval , ancient

With the long ā this word could be looked as as sanā-atana or sana-atana or sana-ātan-a
sanā is defined as 'of old' and we can quickly see the connection to 'eternal'.
sana - is defined as 'lasting long' , again the connection to 'everlasting'
atana is a passer on, or the act of passing on
ātan is to extend or stretch over , penetrate , spread , overspread (said of the light) , illuminatedharma is from dhṛ - that which upholds, preserves , keeps ; and dharma then is defined as that which is established or firm , steadfast

So this sanātana dharma is that which upholds (dhṛ), establishes firm that which ancient ( sanā ) and ever lasting (sana) that spreads over (ātan) and is passed on (atana).

My question for your consideration - In your opinion/learning/understanding - What is that , that sanātana dharma is upholding permanently?

praṇām

words
darśna - becoming visible or known; view , doctrine , philosophical system

Kumar_Das
06 June 2010, 07:35 PM
Namaste,

I thought about it myself.

I look at it from a Vaishnava perspective

thri saptha samidha krutha

Vishnu avatara follows evolution of mankind accordingly.

Dharma of God is the foremost. Vishnu upholds Dharma.

I hope I made sense. Thats my personal understanding thus far.

Om Namah Shivaya

saidevo
06 June 2010, 10:31 PM
namaste Yajvan.

An interesting question, which is asked and explained here:
What is Sanatana Dharma - A Definition
http://www.sanatanadharmafoundation.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=54

Essentially, I think, what is upheld boils down to svadharma, maintaining the Rta of a person's life, recongnizing that every being--chetana and jaDa--sentient and insentient--has its own Rta which must be upheld in parallel.

Avazjan
07 June 2010, 02:45 AM
Namaste.

My opinion on what the dharma upholds is the evolution of the jivatman until it merges into paramatman. Without a process of purification and perfection, one cannot attain a state of perfection.

Dharma is then the moral evolutionary force uplifting all sentient beings who arise due to matter becoming conscious of itself on this particular worldly plane of existence. Of course, it is already consciousness, being supreme Shiva, on innumerable planes.

This secondary limited consciousness is the seed of our individuality, and also represents the instilling of the ego. When that false egotistical ignorance is removed the Self is revealed as a unique aspect of Brahman, the One.

Dharma is the process by which mankind is redeemed from egotism, and all beings are evolved in order to develop the qualities of godhead.

Namaste

yajvan
07 June 2010, 12:37 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Thank you all for your contributions and most insightful views on this subject. Your views are very attractive and congruent with what I wish to offer.
For me, and this is only my view, this sanātana dharma is that which upholds bhṛ & bṛh. This bhṛ is to balance , hold in equipoise ; to lift up , raise. And bṛh is to increase , expand , further , promote . I see these two fundamental qualities as the driving principles of this creation.
Brahman at its very root (√) is bṛh. Brahman means growth, expansion , development , swelling. This growth (bṛh) occurs in a balanced (bhṛ) way. This is the beauty or elegance of the Divine. Balance and repose yet expansion.

We see these qualities in the offers of :

Kumar_das offers us the insight of viṣṇu - from √ viṣ , all-pervading . Perfect alignment to bṛh.
Saidevo offers my favorite - ṛta ( some write ṛtaṁ) and is defined right , fit , apt ; enlightened , luminous - aligns with bṛh as both have a definition to shine or illumine.
Avazjan offers 'evolution'. Yes, I see this as the natural expansion of the individual to the Divine (parātman).I have been taught that this sanātana dharma is that Cosmic Intelligence that administers and manages all, and everything, from the finite to the infinite. It finds its joy in expansion (bhṛ & bṛh) and balance.
It is when one puts themselves into the hands of this Cosmic Intelligence that all is taken care of. That no faults occur, that one is the exponent of this Reality.

This IMHO is what one is liberated to - to the Infinite Being of Intelligence that manages this whole creation with just 1/4th of its Being ( so say the śāstra-s).

praṇām

yajvan
08 June 2010, 11:52 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

I also thought to add this sanātana dharma is considered ārṣa jñāna . Many know this but thought it was worthy to repeat what this is.

ārṣa - relating or belonging to or derived from ṛṣi-s ( seers of truth, of Reality);
and we know jñāna is knowledge. So sanātana dharma is anchored upon, founded in, and supported by the knowledge of the seers of Reality.
This is why sanātana dharma is so profound, so insightful. It comes from the seers that know, the exponents of Reality. That is those seers that are exponents of this Infinite Being of Intelligence and can speak from direct personal experience. Yet the term 'personal' is a bit constrained as these beings are the ambassadors of brahman.

praṇām