PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed!

Alise
08 June 2010, 06:45 AM
Namaste (:
So as everyone else on this forum, I'm interested in Sanathana Dharma...
I need advice for this:
I have anaemie because of iron deficiency. Doctor told me (and my mom) that a lot of iron is in meat, especially in beef. Also pharmacy sells something like candy bar [but not really] called Hematogen but it has bull's blood.

I am not really big meat eater (I do eat pork & chicken meat sometimes, not beef). I have though [for a while] that I should & will become vegetarian, but anaemie made me think what should I do?

And if Hematogen contains bull's blood, does that mean that Sanathana Dharma devotees are not allowed to consume it?

Hope I didn't write it too confusing.

Have a nice day,
~Alice

TatTvamAsi
09 June 2010, 12:16 AM
First, you're underage. That means you must get advice related to your health ONLY from a licensed professional (aka doctor) and your family.

Secondly, once you are of sound health, your interest in Sanatana Dharma will be magnified and you can practice it with more sraddha (implicit faith).

Good luck.

Avazjan
09 June 2010, 05:33 AM
Namaste

First, you're underage. That means you must get advice related to your health ONLY from a licensed professional (aka doctor) and your family.

This may be true in a legal sense, but not in any other. It is an unfortunate fact that most GPs know little outside of the narrow parameters of their training, which is mostly in the economic interest of big pharma.

Other vegetarians in my family have a history of anemia (before they became vegetarians) and have managed to commit to vegetarianism and maintain adequate hemoglobin levels.

My recommendations are as follows:

*A tablespoon or two of molasses per day, blackstrap.

*Among vegetables, sea vegetables are the ones highest (by far) in iron. If such are available in your area, try to eat as much seaweed as you can.

*Other good sources are parsley (a great parsley heavy dish is tabouleh, which goes great with hummus from garbanzos), garbanzos, oat and wheat bran, tofu, lentils, peppers, borage, artichokes, potatoes, grape leaves, spinach, kale, beets, asparagus, broccoli.

*Find a good brand of iron supplements that are both cheap and effective. Not all supplements are created equal, and the quality/availability of the nutrient inside varies widely. Do your research first. And make sure you stay committed to taking them regularly, not just on and off.

*Vitamin C plays a critical role in iron absorption, so try to consume vitamin C together with iron. Orange juice is an obvious one, but grapefruit, grape, peaches, papayas and cranberrries are also excellent sources. Broccoli and peppers are well balanced with both, and some others too. A lack of vitamin C, even with adequate iron intake, can easily lead to anemia.

*Consult your doctor about this, tell him that you are committed to becoming a vegetarian, and that you have devised a strategy that should allow you to do this. Request his help, namely in making sure that your haemoglobin is regularly tested. If you are unable to maintain adequate haemoglobin levels with a vegetarian diet, you will have to resort to eating meat. He may also be able to direct you to a nutritionist or dietitian. If he is not willing to support your efforts, find a doctor who will if you can.

If tests show that you are not able to maintain adequate haemoglobin levels using the above, you will have to consume some meat, at least for the time being. If you do so, I recommend eating nothing higher than fish or poultry and never beef.

If you need help coming up with dishes which use these foods, I'm sure people would be happy to assist with that as well.

Namaste

devotee
09 June 2010, 05:50 AM
Namaste SA,

TTA and Avazjan have offered good suggestions. I hope that would take care of your anxiety.

Even if you decide to go for non-veg for health reasons, it is not necessary that you eat beef for red meat. Instead, you may take mutton which should be as effective as beef. The doctor is in a better to advise you. Hindus also have to manage the issue of anaemia but they never take beef. However, it all depends upon your decision. You may also try including Amla (gooseberry) pickled in honey. It is tasty and will also improve your haemoglobin count.

OM

Eastern Mind
09 June 2010, 07:15 AM
Vannakkam SweetAlisija:

Avazjan has given you excellent nutritional advice, but it may not be possible since you live within a family yet. The key really is variety. I know some foolish people who went vegetarian and then ate french fries and dry cereal. Lots and lots of green vegetables, and all the ones Avazjan recommended. You can also buy iron supplements but sometimes they are hard to digest.

You hit the vegetarian nutrition nail on the head though, for it is iron, not protein, that is the main 'problem'. Although my wife had low counts escpecially during pregnancy, we have always managed.

Best wishes with it. Hopefully tou can find a doctor who isn't completely pro-meat still. Some doctors I have met thing vegetarianism is a bad idea.

Aum Namasivaya

Sahasranama
09 June 2010, 07:31 AM
Have you done a blood test for vitamin b12? Vitamin b12 is linked to iron deficiency.

Don't eat beef or cow blood candy. There are a ton of good iron sources, vegetarian or non vegetarian.

NayaSurya
09 June 2010, 02:12 PM
I have the Vit B12 Vit D and anemia situation that you just mentioned above.

It is very correct to look at the B12 if anemia is present.

Since it was discovered that I was severely deficient and that I could have something very bad happen, I was forced into immediate weekly shots.

I would suggest asking your doctor for another alternative to the blood candy. Just saying those two words together is an abomination to me. Never in my life could I have imagined such a thing existed.:P

Feratab would be much more easier. One pill a day.

Good luck and hugs<3

Ramakrishna
09 June 2010, 07:26 PM
Namaste SweetAlisija,

Avazjan has given you excellent advice. Basically any dark green leafy vegetables are high in iron. Beans are also a good source of iron. Try drinking a glass or orange juice everyday. Orange juice is very rich in Vitamin C, and that will help your body absorb iron.

You don't need to eat meat to get the proper intake of iron that your body needs. But obviously it depends on how deficient you are. Stay away from that candy bar, though. Bull's blood??? That just sounds awful!

Jai Sri Krishna

Shaan
01 November 2010, 08:12 PM
Anemia will be gone with a 15 day of figs and dates diet, figs esp with cow's milk. all natural fruits no harm.

RVR
30 November 2010, 05:41 AM
Please eat `dates' regularly

http://www.vegfamily.com/health/boost-iron-intake.htm

`dates' contains lot of iron.

All the best

yajvan
30 November 2010, 07:02 PM

hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namast&#233;

Many above have given reasonable / sound advice. Yet one thing one must consider... Do we know the 'constitution' of SweetAlisija is working correctly and the the foods consumed are processed? This happens often with vitamins. People take them as say they feel no different. Many times the body cannot process them or just gets rid of any of the excess A, B, D, etc.

Its like a car - my car won't move forward. Well give it more gas, fill the tank with gas. A reasonable idea. Yet what if the engine is just not processing the gas correctly?

This is what needs to be considered - that agni is strong and can process. If agni is not strong, then what to do? Many things can 'kindle' agni.

praṇām

Eastern Mind
01 December 2010, 07:17 AM
Vannakkam SA, Yajvan et al: There is so much truth in Yajvan's post, and it extends far beyond nutrition. Similar concepts applied in various areas of life is called horizontal transfer. First we need to understand the underlying constitution. Here are some more adages and observations expressing the same point.

Teachers need to know the learning style of students.
Different strokes for different folks.
In religion, some are in university, and others are in the kindergarten class.
Doctors do consultations before treatment.
What works for you may not work for me.
For a headache, some people take acetaminophen, some take ASA, some take caffeine, some take food, and others take rest.

This is exactly why the best teachers be it secular, or in SD, give personal individual advice.

Aum Namasivaya