PDA

View Full Version : Lord Murugan

c.smith
27 September 2006, 04:20 PM
A Satguru that I've been studying suggests the mantra "Aum Saravanabhava" for those not yet initiated by a guru instead of the "Aum Namah Sivaya" mantra. I understand that Lord Murugan is the 2nd son of Siva but would like to know more about the mantra and more about the Lord. The Satguru suggests that this is the mantra to chant for one aspiring the guidance of a guru.

saidevo
27 September 2006, 11:32 PM
Namaste Smith,

Check these Websites to know about Lord Muruga (also called Skanda and Kartikeya):

http://www.kaumaram.com/
http://www.ratnagiri.org/

orlando
28 September 2006, 08:39 AM
A Satguru that I've been studying suggests the mantra "Aum Saravanabhava" for those not yet initiated by a guru instead of the "Aum Namah Sivaya" mantra. I understand that Lord Murugan is the 2nd son of Siva but would like to know more about the mantra and more about the Lord. The Satguru suggests that this is the mantra to chant for one aspiring the guidance of a guru.

I did read that,too.That satguru is of course Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami.
Now I will copy something from his book Dancing with Siva,
Hinduism's Contemporary Catechism

By http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/dws/dws_mandala-05.html

What Is the Nature of Lord Karttikeya?
SLOKA 24

Lord Karttikeya, Murugan, first guru and Pleiadean master of kundalini yoga, was born of God Siva's mind. His dynamic power awakens spiritual cognition to propel souls onward in their evolution to Siva's feet. Aum

BHASHYA

Lord Karttikeya flies through the mind's vast substance from planet to planet. He could well be called the Emancipator, ever available to the call of those in distress. Lord Karttikeya, God of will, direct cognition and the purest, child-like divine love, propels us onward on the righteous way through religion, His Father's law. Majestically seated on the manipura chakra, this scarlet-hued God blesses mankind and strengthens our will when we lift to the inner sky through sadhana and yoga. The yoga pada begins with the worship of Him. The yogi, locked in meditation, venerates Karttikeya, Skanda, as his mind becomes as calm as Saravana, the lake of Divine Essence. The kundalini force within everyone is held and controlled by this powerful God, first among renunciates, dear to all sannyasins. Revered as Murugan in the South, He is commander in chief of the great devonic army, a fine, dynamic soldier of the within, a fearless defender of righteousness. He is Divinity emulated in form. The Vedas say, "To such a one who has his stains wiped away, the venerable Sanatkumara shows the further shore of darkness. Him they call Skanda." Aum Namah Sivaya.

What Does Lord Karttikeya's Vel Signify?
SLOKA 25

The lancelike vel wielded by Lord Karttikeya, or Skanda, embodies discrimination and spiritual insight. Its blade is wide, long and keen, just as our knowledge must be broad, deep and penetrating. Aum Namah Sivaya.

BHASHYA

The shakti power of the vel, the eminent, intricate power of righteousness over wrongdoing, conquers confusion within the realms below. The holy vel, that when thrown always hits its mark and of itself returns to Karttikeya's mighty hand, rewards us when righteousness prevails and becomes the kundalini serpent's unleashed power thwarting our every effort with punishing remorse when we transgress dharma's law. Thus, the holy vel is our release from ignorance into knowledge, our release from vanity into modesty, our release from sinfulness into purity through tapas. When we perform penance and beseech His blessing, this merciful God hurls His vel into the astral plane, piercing discordant sounds, colors and shapes, removing the mind's darkness. He is the King of kings, the power in their scepters. Standing behind the temporal majesty, He advises and authorizes. His vel empowering the ruler, justice prevails, wisdom enriches the minds of citizens, rain is abundant, crops flourish and plenty fills the larders. The Tirumurai says, "In the gloom of fear, His six-fold face gleams. In perils unbounded, His vel betokens, 'Fear not.'" Aum Namah Sivaya.

Now I will copy some scriptural verses about Lord Murugan.

Let us know that Supreme Being and meditate upon Him, the Supreme General of the great deva army. May He enlighten us and lead us to be one with Him, Lord Skanda.Krishna Yajur Veda, Taittiriya Aranyaka 10.6.2-3 (Shanmukha Gayatri). LW, 112

In the heart of those who recount His name, He reveals His gracious feet. Thus He appears to those who chant the hallowed name Murugan. He stands immanent in all.Tirumurai 11, Nakkirar. KD, 224

The moon, sun and fire are in unison radiating their resplendent effulgence. Radiating the luminous sparks is Murugan, who lights up the world by His peerless light.Kathirgama Purana. KD, 220

Murugan, Kumaran, Guhan -- to utter and melt and have divine experience -- when shall Thou grant this, O guru supreme, worshiped by the devas devout and mortals alike, O abode of virtues eight![I]Kandar Anubhuti 15. KA, 116

Regards,
Orlando.

sarabhanga
28 September 2006, 07:48 PM
SKANDA KARTTIKEYA (http://www.geocities.com/sarabhanga/skanda.html)

The First-born Son of Shiva-Shakti grew from Rudra’s fiery seed that fell into Gangama, and was known as Skanda.

He is Karttikeya: too intense for Shri Ganga to bear, he was consigned to the rushes on her bank (cf. Moses).

Rudra-Shiva is guardian of the Unmanifest, and the conception of Manifestation was accidental. That first conception was perfect and pure ~ a virgin birth of a perfect reality ~ and from the inert expanse of perfect Ideas (the Mind of God, and the very body of Lord Shiva) is born the perfect incarnation, the ideal form, the physical form of the Ideal, an Avatara.

Shiva and Shakti remain in eternal coitus; but in worldly legend, the device of Spilled (Skanda) Seed (Bija) preserves the maidenhood of the Devi. That fiery Bija is the Pranava, a product of Shiva's great Tapasya, which was deposited into Shri Ganga. Her immortal flow could not actually bear its intense heat; and to preserve Her own perfection, Skanda was driven to Her side, where he dwelled in the vegetation until his true nature was recognized by the six Karttikas, who kindled his light and raised the youthful spark up to a blazing reality.

The six Matrikas (recognized as Adityas and known as the Karttika sisters, whose constellation rules the harvest month of Karttika) were sent to kill infant Skanda; although, lactating at his sight, they nursed him, and named him Karttikeya, who became the six-headed commander of the legions of Rudra. The Matsya-Purana (c. 1000 AD) lists some 190 bloodthirsty Matrikas, created by Shiva to defeat the demon Andhaka. Karttikeya became the supreme commander of this hysterical host. His emblem is the blue-necked peacock, and it is perhaps amalgamation with the Karttikeya-cult (which was presumably not achieved without conflict) that gave Shiva his blue throat (Nilakantha).

The Adityas are generally counted as six or seven. Six is the number of spatial cardinals (East, West, North, South, Zenith, and Nadir); and, just as the prime number five is reserved for Shiva, the esoteric seventh point at the heart of this six-fold symmetry came to be understood as the transcendent seat of Shakti.

In Yoga, the Son becomes the equal of his Father, since their Light is ultimately One Light. Shiva and Skanda are but the source of light and the light itself; both the sacrificial fire and its essential nature, which are an effectively inseparable conjoined twin. And Shakti is Power ~ the Power of transformation, without which the Vision could not be made Flesh ~ so that all three of the Father, the Mother, and the Child, together frame the original nuclear family.

Karttikeya, just like his father, has a connexion with Keshin, and it is the action of the potent poison of all the worlds’ evil, which was churned from the primal ocean by Vayu (the Wind, father of the ancient storm-god Rudra) that is often given in explanation of Nilakantha Shiva, who held the venom in his throat and survived.

Shiva, Shakti, and Skanda, are but three forms of essential Fire, or Agni; and Agni is Rudra, and both Agni and Rudra are known as Tryambaka.

The Mahabharata mentions Rohitaka (modern Rohtak District, in Haryana) as the home of Karttikeya, who was tutelary deity of the ferocious orgiastic Mattamayuraka tribe (Matta = Drunk).

Although Karttikeya has received orthodox acceptance and royal patronage, his cultic origins have been retained by the Kanphata (Split Ear ~ from their initiatory insertion of large Kundala through the centre of each ear) Yogins, who worship the Samadhi of Mastnatha (Intoxicated Lord) at Astal Bohar, near Rohtak. Every night, three huge pipes are prepared for Mahayogi Mastnatha and his two assistants, and I am assured that every morning they are found to have been fully smoked. The Panjab Census Report (1891) described their annual Mela (Fair) as disreputable.

yajvan
29 September 2006, 09:08 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~~

SKANDA KARTTIKEYA (http://www.geocities.com/sarabhanga/skanda.html)

Rudra-Shiva is guardian of the Unmanifest, and the conception of Manifestation was accidental.

Namaste sarabhanga,

I have read this, and do not understand, can you add some clarity?
What is there to guard? and how was/is manifestation ( assume creation) accidential?

As I understand it, creation is we wish to call it that, happens over and over again after pralaya [ pra or 'away' + li or 'disolve' ].
We see this pralaya daily in us, coming back from deep sleep we are 'reborn'. we see this pralaya after the end of a kapla and mahakapla.

Please help me better understand the spiritual significance of these concepts.

Pranams,

sarabhanga
02 October 2006, 05:59 PM
Namaste Yajvan,

All that is born must eventually die ~ indeed, all (created) things must pass.

Rudra is unborn and comprised of all that is immortal.

Eternity cannot be born, and Rudra (representing the Unborn) logically demands it!

The eternal Brahman should never have been born, and at the timeless moment of Brahma’s rising pride (the very moment of Creation ~ the first blush of the very first Dawn) of Himself, as Brahmani or Annapurna (who arises from, is loved by, and selfishly consumed by, the very same Brahman).

At the first glimmer of creative impulse, Hara (the Hunter) fired his potent shaft, which is Sthanu as the fatal bolt of the all conquering arrow of Time, which will of Itself in the end destroy all of the created (and thus finally mortal) Worlds!

There is no thing (as such) to guard, but the price of Creation (the temporal illusion of Maya) is ignorance, suffering, and death. And from the ultimate perspective of the Aja Ekapada Rudra, the greatest loss is ultimate Perfection (the untainted completeness of pure Advaita) beyond Time.

Hara Hara, Mahadeva !

orlando
10 December 2006, 12:36 PM
Namaste all.
By http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/dws/lexicon/k.html

Karttikeya: (Sanskrit) Child of the Pleiades, from Krittika, "Pleiades." Second son of Siva, the brother of Ganesha. A great Mahadeva worshiped in all parts of India and the world. Also known as Murugan, Kumara, Skanda, Shanmukhanatha, Subramanya and more, He is the God who guides that part of evolution which is religion, the transformation of the instinctive into a divine wisdom through the practice of yoga. He holds the holy vel of jnana shakti, which is His Power to vanquish darkness or ignorance.

Kumara: (Sanskrit) "Virgin youth; ever-youthful." A name of Lord Karttikeya as a perpetual bachelor. See: Karttikeya.

By http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/dws/lexicon/m.html

Murugan: (Tamil) "Beautiful one," a favorite name of Karttikeya among the Tamils of South India, Sri Lanka and elsewhere. See: Karttikeya.

By http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/dws/lexicon/s.html

Skanda: (Sanskrit) "Quicksilver; leaping one." One of Lord Karttikeya's oldest names, and His form as scarlet-hued warrior God. See: Karttikeya.

Skanda Shashthi: (Sanskrit) A six-day festival in October-November celebrating Lord Karttikeya's, or Skanda's, victory over the forces of darkness.

Now I will copy something from the book Dancing with Siva,
Hinduism's Contemporary Catechism by Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami.

By http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/dws/dws_mandala-20.html

What Are the Main Karttikeya Festivals?

SLOKA 99

Vaikasi Vishakham celebrates the anniversary of Lord Karttikeya's creation. Skanda Shashthi is a six-day festival honoring His conquest of light over darkness. Tai Pusam is a time of sadhana and public penance. Aum.

BHASHYA

On Vaikasi Vishakham day, Lord Karttikeya's birthstar, Vishakha nakshatra, in May-June, elaborate abhisheka is conducted in all His temples. It is a time of gift-giving to panditas and great souls, weddings, feedings for the poor, caring for trees, spiritual initiation, diksha, and conclaves of holy men. Skanda Shashthi is celebrated on the six days after the new moon in October-November with festive processions and pujas invoking His protection and grace. It honors Karttikeya's receiving the vel, His lance of spiritual illumination, jnana shakti, and culminates in a dramatic victory celebration of spiritual light over asuric darkness. Tai Pusam occurs on Pushya nakshatra in January-February. During this festival we fast and perform public penance, called kavadi, seeking Karttikeya's blessings to dispel our selfishness, pride and vanity. His special monthly days are Krittika nakshatra and Shashthi, the sixth tithi after the new moon. The Vedas say, "Like the cry of watchful birds swimming in water, like the loud claps of thundering rain clouds, like the joyful streams gushing from the mountain, so have our hymns sounded forth to the Lord." Aum Namah Sivaya.

Regards,
Orlando.

orlando
10 December 2006, 12:43 PM
Namaste all.
By http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/lws/lws_ch-45.html

Lord Murugan was created by God Siva's shakti and given a vel of spiritual discernment, a lance of divine intelligence. Pray to Lord Murugan to unravel the great mysteries of the universe. Pray to Lord Murugan to make you a spiritual person. Pray to Lord Murugan to release you into the arms of Lord Siva by teaching you more about your Saivite religion.

Regards,
Orlando.

Agnideva
18 December 2006, 03:28 PM
Namaste C.Smith,

Both Ganesha and Kārtikeya-Murugan are Mahādevas, sons of Shiva, as you know already. If I understand Gurudeva’s writings correctly, Ganesha rules over the physical plane; Kārtikeya rules over the astral plane, and Shiva as Parameshvara rules over the causal plane of existence, so to speak. This is why Ganesha is said to be seated on the mulādhāra chakra, Kārtikeya on the manipura chakra, and Ardhanārishvara on the ājña chakra. At least, this is how I think this is described in Saiva Siddhānta.

I really like the AUM Saravana Bhava mantra myself. Here’s something I found about this mantra:

“He (Lord Kārtikeya-Murugan) is meditated upon by the six-lettered mantra ‘sa-ra-va-Na-bha-va’ . The six syllables connote Him who manifested as a personification of Auspiciousness, Light, Splendour, Bounty, Purity and Infinite Prowess. saravaNa-bhava therefore means the one who is a combination of all these.” [Source (http://www.geocities.com/profvk/gohitvip/1201.html)]

“When the cruelties of the asuras became unbearable, the Devas again appealed to Siva. This time Siva opened His third eye and out of it came six rays of light. These were received by Agni and diverted into a marshy lake called Saravana or 'forest of reeds', where each ray turned out to be a child. Hence, we hear of the six syllables Saravana-bhava, 'born in the forest of reeds'.” [Source (http://kataragama.org/kaliyuga.htm)]

I hope that helps.

Regards,
A.

sm78
19 December 2006, 01:41 AM
Ganesha is surely the discriminating power of intellect and hence the source and inspiration for all relational knowledge, science and engineering etc. It is very natural for me for example, to accept him as the ruler of the physical plane.

Murugan is not a standard inclusion to the Panchayet system (particularly in our tradition), so not sure what he signifies in particular...we see a more an essence of shakti in him.

Agnideva
19 December 2006, 06:40 PM
Murugan is not a standard inclusion to the Panchayet system (particularly in our tradition), so not sure what he signifies in particular...we see a more an essence of shakti in him.
Namaste SM,

Who is at the center of your Panchayatan, and how do you decide? Is it particular to a family?

Both Ganesha and Murugan are definitely associated with shakti. Ganesha’s shakti is that of intelligence and achievement/fulfillment, while Murugan’s Shakti is that of discernment and spirituality. Murugan's lance (vel) signifies piercing through the darkness of ignorance.

OM Shanti,
A.

sm78
20 December 2006, 12:56 AM
Shakti is the center of the Panchayatan representing the full expression of Godhead. The other partial expressions of Iswariya shaktis are represented by Shiva, Vishnu, Surya and Ganesha. They are rulers of causal, higer mental planes (chitta) and intelligence.

I believe this explanation come from a shakta tradition. Shakti or Ishwara must be para-shiva in saiva siddhanta.

The Murugan seems to share aspects of all the other 4 deities.

If we take him as the ruler of astral mental planes we may have too many rulers there (vishnu, surya, murugan) :)

Agnideva
20 December 2006, 02:47 PM
Very interesting SM, thank you for that. I’ve been reading about Shakta theology and philosophy as well, and hope to learn more from you.

In Shaivism, generally, we see the Divine in three perfections:

1. Parashiva/Paramashiva – Unmanifest Reality
2. Parāshakti – all-pervasive Divine consciousness, substratum of all form
3. Parameshvara – Supreme Lord (Shiva-Shakti)

In Vedantic terms, the first perfection is equated with Nirguna Brahman, and the second two are equated with Saguna Brahman. And as with Shaktism, everything manifest is an expression of Shiva’s Shakti.

If we take him as the ruler of astral mental planes we may have too many rulers there (vishnu, surya, murugan) :)
Unless, of course, they are all one and the same ;).

OM Shanti,
A.

Sudarshan
07 January 2007, 07:20 AM

There are three guNas associated with ahamkArA, and in many systems of vaiSNavism, Ananta, garuDa and Rudra represent the rulers of the three guNas, ie the mental plane.(antakaraNa). Many other rulers of the lower mind are usually recognized.(like Indra, kubera etc)

Eastern Mind
09 September 2007, 05:11 PM
In the countries of Malaysia, Mauritius, Fiji, and of course South India, Muruga is popular. In Mauritius, its spectacular. HA's latest issue of Hinduism Today has a huge article on Thai Pusam in Malaysia. The reporter, himself a north Indian wasn't familiar with Murugan bhakti, and wrote the article with a tone of astonishment and amazement. Which leads me to two questions... Are we that ethnocentric within Sanatana Dharma that we aren't even familiar with other Hindu's Gods? If so,why? Is it purely geographical? And my other question is about Kavadi in India. Is the practice officially banned by the government? If there is a South Indian out there, I'm curious as to the history of kavadi (I mean the more severe kind) more or less disappearing. Seems to me the British did us (the spreading of some practices) a favour with indentured labour bit.
Vetri Vel Muruga

Nachiketa
09 September 2007, 08:20 PM
In the countries of Malaysia, Mauritius, Fiji, and of course South India, Muruga is popular. In Mauritius, its spectacular. HA's latest issue of Hinduism Today has a huge article on Thai Pusam in Malaysia. The reporter, himself a north Indian wasn't familiar with Murugan bhakti, and wrote the article with a tone of astonishment and amazement. Which leads me to two questions... Are we that ethnocentric within Sanatana Dharma that we aren't even familiar with other Hindu's Gods? If so,why? Is it purely geographical? And my other question is about Kavadi in India. Is the practice officially banned by the government? If there is a South Indian out there, I'm curious as to the history of kavadi (I mean the more severe kind) more or less disappearing. Seems to me the British did us (the spreading of some practices) a favour with indentured labour bit.
Vetri Vel Muruga

Namaste Eastern Mind,
no Kavadi is not banned( and I dont see a reason why it should be banned). It still is practised every year at Lord Muruga's shrines.

Information about the origins of this practise could be had from this website:http://palani.org/kavadi.htm

Hari Om

Agnideva
10 September 2007, 08:04 AM
Namaste EM,

In the countries of Malaysia, Mauritius, Fiji, and of course South India, Muruga is popular. In Mauritius, its spectacular. HA's latest issue of Hinduism Today has a huge article on Thai Pusam in Malaysia. The reporter, himself a north Indian wasn't familiar with Murugan bhakti, and wrote the article with a tone of astonishment and amazement. Which leads me to two questions... Are we that ethnocentric within Sanatana Dharma that we aren't even familiar with other Hindu's Gods? If so,why? Is it purely geographical? Vetri Vel Muruga

There are obviously many regional differences in the way Sanatana Dharma is followed. I think this is largely because of geography and linguistic barriers. Murugan bhakti is largely unknown outside of the Tamil world. Obviously everyone knows about Murugan, but the rest know Him by the name of Skanda or Kartikeya. In non-Tamil traditions, there is no Valli or Deivayani (His Shaktis), there is only Kartikeya. He is always represented alone. The Thai Pusam festival is also unknown outside of Tamil tradition. In non-Tamil traditions, Murugan has a different birthday altogether!

BTW, did you see the newest issue of HT? It has an feature article on the six temple pilgrimage of Murugan.

Aum Sharavana Bhava..
A.

Eastern Mind
10 September 2007, 06:07 PM
Nachiketa: What I meant by the question was the more 'severe' body piercing kavadi found in Malaysia and elsewhere.. even here in Canada, at one particular temple. I don't find pictures on the net of that at the Murugan temples of South India. I know that here the native American ritual of sundance which has body piercing was officially banned by the government which at the time and still is quite British. They found the ritual too harsh I guess. They also banned a custom called potlatch. Sundance is making a comeback, if only in a somewhat secretive way. Potlatch was really interesting, because it involved chieftains giving away great amounts of wealth in possessions in order to gain esteem in the society. Maybe there is a lesson there for our billionaires...just a thought. Potlatch was banned I believe, because of the partying associated with it.
I have yet to see the HT issue on the 6 temple Murugan pilgrimage, but I have it as one of those 'must do's' that seem often to not get done. I least I'll have a decent guide.
Aum Namshivaya

Nachiketa
10 September 2007, 08:56 PM
Nachiketa: What I meant by the question was the more 'severe' body piercing kavadi found in Malaysia and elsewhere.. even here in Canada, at one particular temple. I don't find pictures on the net of that at the Murugan temples of South India. I know that here the native American ritual of sundance which has body piercing was officially banned by the government which at the time and still is quite British. They found the ritual too harsh I guess. They also banned a custom called potlatch. Sundance is making a comeback, if only in a somewhat secretive way. Potlatch was really interesting, because it involved chieftains giving away great amounts of wealth in possessions in order to gain esteem in the society. Maybe there is a lesson there for our billionaires...just a thought. Potlatch was banned I believe, because of the partying associated with it.
I have yet to see the HT issue on the 6 temple Murugan pilgrimage, but I have it as one of those 'must do's' that seem often to not get done. I least I'll have a decent guide.
Aum Namshivaya

Namaste EM
my bad,
......the history of the 'severe' forms of Kavadi I do not know but they are not banned in India. I have myself been a witness to a few though not as severe as found in Malaysia.
Pranams

Eastern Mind
16 September 2007, 09:50 PM
Nachiketa; Yes, I got the current issue of HT. I find it interesting that the pilgrimage order isn't geographical, lots of backtracking. Regarding kavadi in India, as my wife was sitting here, she said 'Putting up with the British was a kavadi in itself." Maybe that's why its not 'needed' in such an intense way there. Already been done.. Aum Namashivaya

Eastern Mind
20 January 2011, 07:05 AM
Vannakkam: Today and tonight is the date of the auspicious Thai Pusam festival. Best wishes for austerity and clarity of mind for anyone partaking in Murugan's Vel piercing our ignorance.

http://www.mmail.com.my/content/61491-thousands-hindus-celebrate-thaipusam

Aum Saravanabhava

anatman
20 January 2011, 09:32 AM
Swamiyae, Sharanam Aiyappa!!

Eastern Mind
20 January 2011, 10:11 AM
Swamiyae, Sharanam Aiyappa!!

Vannakkam anatman: Do you have Murugan and Ayyappan confused perhaps? Just wondering as your post didn't seem to fit my announcement.

Aum Namasivaya

anatman
20 January 2011, 10:33 AM
Vannakkam anatman: Do you have Murugan and Ayyappan confused perhaps? Just wondering as your post didn't seem to fit my announcement.

Aum Namasivaya

Jai Shankara!!

Lord Murugan and Lord Aiyappa are different!!!????

Educate me plzzzzzz

Eastern Mind
20 January 2011, 10:40 AM
Vannakkam: I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

Here are the links to wikipedia articles. Perhaps though, as per your bottom line re Shankaracharya, some would consider all gods to be the same. I don't

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murugan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayyappan

Aum Namasivaya

anatman
20 January 2011, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the links...

And "NO", I ain't been sarcastic.

Eastern Mind
21 January 2011, 05:22 AM
Vannakkam: Today and tonight is the date of the auspicious Thai Pusam festival. Best wishes for austerity and clarity of mind for anyone partaking in Murugan's Vel piercing our ignorance.

http://www.mmail.com.my/content/61491-thousands-hindus-celebrate-thaipusam

Aum Saravanabhava

Vannakkam: We shared in the celebration last night at my local temple. We held a small milk pot kavadi parade, and someone sponsored the 1008 name archana. We have one particularly ardent Murugan bhaktar here who sponsored abhishekham for the 10 nights preceding as well, so it was fairly electric. I find it interesting how the comfort (read no distractions) of one's own temple is so conducive to feeling it. In ancient places like Palani and Tiruchendur, there are other distractions like crowds, noise, etc., so although the energy is coming through in big unseen ways beyond comprehension, you're less aware from the conscious mind of it. At home you can just relax in the familiarity of it.

Aum Namasivaya

GodisLove
22 January 2011, 11:43 PM

I have just come across somebody saying that as well. if you dont mind me asking was it from the publishers of "Hinduism Today" (which is a beautiful magazine) that you saw that?

murugan
19 February 2011, 12:28 AM
http://www.tiruchendurmurugantemple.com/WebResource.axd?d=DtSS-38jFoS2d0k13WkiZvERC9HL2gaYo8zJ0g3bFs3YbHnZ66yPNVMX6XXYrBkG6xywTJd_DtP4Sgs1njoabvyaEZ41&t=634287416878995408 (http://www.tiruchendurmurugantemple.com/MiraclesofLord.aspx#ctl00_SiteMapPath1_SkipLink)Miracles of Lord Arumuga

The History of Dutch pirates, who had stolen the idol of Lord Arumuga:
It is said that the Dutch pirates who looted this temple during the 17th century had broken the granite statues and carried the Panchaloka idol of Arumuga Peruman to their ship. Suddenly, there was heavy storm and rain

Filled with fear of this sudden development, they tied a rope to the idol and dropped it in the sea. The storm was said to have stopped immediately.

On finding the idol of Arumugha Nayanar missing from the temple, the devotees grew worried. Lord Muruga appeared in the dream of Vadamalaiyappa Pillai, who was an ardent devotee of the Lord and showed the place in the sea where he was lying.

Immediately, Vadamalaiyappa Pillai rushed to the spot with some people and saw a lemon was floating on the waters. Garuda, the holy eagle was flying over the spot. They dived into the waters and recovered the idol.

This incident took place on Friday, the 29th day of the Thai month in Kollam year 829, that is, in 1653 A.D. This fact is taken from the inscriptions.

Eastern Mind
19 February 2011, 05:19 PM
http://www.tiruchendurmurugantemple.com/WebResource.axd?d=DtSS-38jFoS2d0k13WkiZvERC9HL2gaYo8zJ0g3bFs3YbHnZ66yPNVMX6XXYrBkG6xywTJd_DtP4Sgs1njoabvyaEZ41&t=634287416878995408 (http://www.tiruchendurmurugantemple.com/MiraclesofLord.aspx#ctl00_SiteMapPath1_SkipLink)Miracles of Lord Arumuga

The History of Dutch pirates, who had stolen the idol of Lord Arumuga:
It is said that the Dutch pirates who looted this temple during the 17th century had broken the granite statues and carried the Panchaloka idol of Arumuga Peruman to their ship. Suddenly, there was heavy storm and rain

Filled with fear of this sudden development, they tied a rope to the idol and dropped it in the sea. The storm was said to have stopped immediately.

On finding the idol of Arumugha Nayanar missing from the temple, the devotees grew worried. Lord Muruga appeared in the dream of Vadamalaiyappa Pillai, who was an ardent devotee of the Lord and showed the place in the sea where he was lying.

Immediately, Vadamalaiyappa Pillai rushed to the spot with some people and saw a lemon was floating on the waters. Garuda, the holy eagle was flying over the spot. They dived into the waters and recovered the idol.

This incident took place on Friday, the 29th day of the Thai month in Kollam year 829, that is, in 1653 A.D. This fact is taken from the inscriptions.

Welcome to these forums, Murugan. Do you live in Tiruchendur. if so, lucky you! By the way, for some reason the link doesn't work.

Aum Namasivaya

murugan
07 March 2011, 05:10 AM
Thanks for the notification Eastern Mind.

This is the link where you can find more miracles of lord Murugan

tiruchendurmurugantemple.com/MiraclesofLord.aspx (http://www.tiruchendurmurugantemple.com/MiraclesofLord.aspx)

Eastern Mind
07 March 2011, 02:02 PM
Vannakkam Murugan:

Yes, I've been there twice now, each time for about 2 full days. Very beautiful temple. Just this morning I was chatting about it with our local priest, who just returned from there as well as many other places in TN, Sri Lanka , and India.

Aum Namasivaya

murugan
14 March 2011, 12:51 AM
Vannakkam Eastern Mind

Yes Tiruchendur is the second abode of the six chosen spots of Lord Murugan. Each day thousands of people visit the temple to vow their offerings. In the coming months of May - June Vaikasi Visagam is celebrated in the temple.

A large number of devotees, numbering about two lakhs, participate in the festival. A procession of Sri Jayanthinathar with Valli and Deivanai is conducted in the night.