PDA

View Full Version : What if you don't know your time of birth?

Odion
11 June 2010, 08:43 AM
Namaste brothers and sisters,

I have a question regarding jyotish: what if you don't know your time of birth? Is it still possible to find out information accurately?

I personally don't know my own time of birth, but know I'm somewhere in the 11th hour in the morning. It could be anywhere from 11:00 to 11:59, I'm not sure, though.

Reason I'm curious is because I'd like to find out what would be an "auspicious" name for myself. Would the time of my birth matter in finding that out?

Sorry for such a newbie question. :)

Pranam

yajvan
11 June 2010, 11:49 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Yes, there are several techniques. Within 1 hr of one's birth much can happen.
First the aspirant needs to find out if the lagna ( ascendant) changes within that 11 to 12 time period.

Note that there are 12 signs, 30º each , so in a 24 hr. period the lagna will change every two hours ( 12 X 2 = 24 hours = 1 day).
Then one can see by behavior if one takes on the characteristics of one sign (rāśi¹) verses another and make the right choice of which sign one was born.

Then one's sign is a least known; This assists by seeing all the grāhaka ¹ (planet's) locations in general will be ~fixed~. Yet the moon can move from one rāśi and/or nakṣatra ¹ ( or even pada; 4 pada's to 1 nakṣatra) to another. So more refinement is needed, hence:

A competent jyotiṣa will look at the various daśa periods to ascertain events in one's life: marriage, school, etc. and this will help refine the time.
A competent jyotiṣa will look to the technique of vigati to better define the minute of birth as this will tell him/her of a male or female birth.
Vigati is vi + gati
vi = is interesting as it means the following: Most likely from an original dvi , meaning 'in two parts' Hence your 'departing from mother' is the application here. It also means apart , asunder. Again leaving mother, so the key here is to express 'division' & 'distinction' i.e. mother and child.
gati = state , condition , situation , proportion , mode of existence
Hence vi + gati is the time, state or condition of division or distinction. Hence , applied to one's birth time i.e. male or female. If a time is generally calculated, and it does not meet the
vigati result, then one adjusts the birth time to get the proper gender.

Please note that I have no desire to do these calculations, but offer the concepts to the reader for their consideration.

praṇām

words

rāśi राशि- is a heap, a mass, a pile, a group; in joytiṣ it is the name given to sign, as a collection point.
grāhaka - one who siezes or takes captivegraha ग्रह- seizing , laying hold of , holding i.e. a graha ~seizes~ or influences the circumstances of the native.
nakṣatra's - an asterism or constellation through which the moon passes some call lunar mansion ; 27 , later 28 , i.e. śraviṣṭhā or dhaniṣṭhā , śata-bhiṣaj , pūrva-bhadrapadā , uttara-bhadrapadā , revatī , aśvinī , bharaṇī , kṛttikā , rohiṇī or brāhmī , mṛga-śiras or āgrahāyaṇī , ārdrā , punarvasū or yāmakau , puṣya or sidhya , āśleṣā , maghā , pūrva-phalgunī , uttara-phalgunī , hasta , citrā , svātī , viśākhā or rādhā , anurādhā , jyeṣṭha , mūla , pūrvāṣāḍhā , uttarāṣāḍhā , śravaṇa ; abhijit ( is the 28th and has special qualities)

yajvan
12 June 2010, 01:24 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Vigati is vi + gati

vi = is interesting as it means the following: Most likely from an original dvi , meaning 'in two parts' Hence your 'departing from mother' is the application here. It also means apart , asunder. Again leaving mother, so the key here is to express 'division' & 'distinction' i.e. mother and child.

gati = state , condition , situation , proportion , mode of existence

Hence vi + gati is the time, state or condition of division or distinction. Hence , applied to one's birth time i.e. male or female. If a time is generally calculated, and it does not meet the
vigati result, then one adjusts the birth time to get the proper gender.

How much is one vigati then in terms of adjustment? A ghatika or ghati = 1/60th of the day which = 24 minutes. A vigati = 1/60th of a ghati and = 24 seconds. So the jyotisha using vigati can resolve a birth chart with this technique to within 24 seconds of birth.

More on vigati here if there is interest:
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2335&highlight=vigati
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=15076&postcount=2
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=17158&postcount=7

praṇām