PDA

View Full Version : It start today

sadhaka3
11 June 2010, 01:24 PM
So I think I'm starting this today. (being a vegetarian I mean).

These days I've been hearing stories that simply disgust me. They way they treat animals in my country (USA) disgusts me.

Maybe if they treated animals a bit more humanely I wouldn't have a problem with it. But at the same time people were telling me about people in certain tribes that eat mokey and I was thinking "they are so similar to us... where do we draw the line?"

I'm still going to eat animal by products though like dairy (including cheese) and eggs.

The most difficult meat for me to give up will be pork. Chicken wont be easy either. But pork especially. And lamb.

Beef wont be difficult kind of. I ate a cheeseburger the other day and it actual made me feel sick to my stomach. The only thing is my family. It's difficult because I'm Argentine.

I've just got to find good enough food that it will extinguish the craving for it and I wont have to think about it because I wont specifically want it.

...wish me luck.

devotee
11 June 2010, 08:24 PM
Best of luck, Sadhaka ! :)

OM

BryonMorrigan
11 June 2010, 08:35 PM
Do it gradually.

To begin, just say, "I will only eat meat on Fridays," or something like that. If you just quit "cold turkey," you'll probably find yourself craving it in a month or so, and you'll never stick to it. If you give in once a week, then it won't be as bad when you change that to once a month...and by then it will be easy. I've known too many friends who tried to quit cold turkey who ended up quitting after a few weeks or so.

Ramakrishna
11 June 2010, 11:18 PM
Namaste sadhaka3,

Congratulations! You are making one of the greatest and most important decisions of your life, and you will be rewarded greatly for it.

When I became a vegetarian nine years ago, I just quit cold turkey. But I never ate much meat to begin with, just some chicken every now and then, but never beef or pork or anything else. But it sounds like you would have trouble going cold turkey, so I agree with BryonMorrigan to do it gradually. Set up some sort of system like where you eat meat once a week, then once every two weeks, and so on until you eventually forget about eating meat or you don't miss it anymore. I wish you the best of luck, and remember that you are making a great decision.

Jai Sri Krishna

anupj
11 June 2010, 11:35 PM
namaste sadhaka3

where there is a will there is a way. be determined on avoiding as much non-veg food as possible, and i am sure one day you would not want it. i did not had to struggle to become a vegetarian, as earlier i only used to eat eggs, hence there was not much of a problem to leave it. i have seen people who were addicted to non-veg food, yet they suddenly left eating it and became strict vegetarians. so i would suggest you to focus on becoming a vegetarian, and reading stuff, recipes, benefits of vegetarianism, may be it can help you.

All the Best

pranam

Eastern Mind
12 June 2010, 07:53 AM
Vannakkam sadhaka3:

If you think it is difficult, it will be. If you think it is easy, so it will be. Here are some reasons its easy.

Compared to giving up alcohol or nicotine or any addictive substance, there are absolutely no physical withdrawal symptoms. In fact, you will feel better, almost immediately.

Your variety of diet will increase, not decrease, as you can experiment with so many different cuisines like Italian, Greek, Mexican, and of course Indian. It can be a real culinary adventure, and there are dozens of excellent cookbooks to guide you.

Think flesh instead of meat. That rids you of the great disconnect that the meat industry does on us. For it really is flesh, not some different substance of food in a store pretending to be obtained from nowhere. If you really want to experience the actual connection, book a tour in a slaughterhouse. Then you can see what you're actually eating: the flesh of another living breathing crying loving creature.

Search the internet for vegetarian and veg-friendly restaurants. They are on the increase.

Aum Namasivaya

SethDrebitko
12 June 2010, 08:50 AM
Do it gradually.

To begin, just say, "I will only eat meat on Fridays," or something like that. If you just quit "cold turkey," you'll probably find yourself craving it in a month or so, and you'll never stick to it. If you give in once a week, then it won't be as bad when you change that to once a month...and by then it will be easy. I've known too many friends who tried to quit cold turkey who ended up quitting after a few weeks or so.

Another important thing to consider is that your body is not going to be used to nearly as much fiber as you will be eating. You should probably phase one vegetarian meal into your diet each week. This way over the next 3 weeks the transition where you will be very gassy, and need to use the bathroom more frequently as you balance out wont be nearly as harsh.

Sahasranama
12 June 2010, 11:21 AM
It depends on your determination. I quit meat eating cold tofu 13 years ago. My parents and cousin also stopped cold tofu, but they are eating meat again and not just a little, but they have become heavy meat eaters. My sister and another cousin also stopped cold tofu and are still vegetarian just like me.

Ramakrishna
12 June 2010, 12:42 PM
It depends on your determination. I quit meat eating cold tofu 13 years ago. My parents and cousin also stopped cold tofu, but they are eating meat again and not just a little, but they have become heavy meat eaters. My sister and another cousin also stopped cold tofu and are still vegetarian just like me.

Cold tofu. I like that :D

Jai Sri Krishna