PDA

View Full Version : World Cup FIFA 2010

satay
11 June 2010, 02:23 PM
http://entertainment.oneindia.in/music/news/2010/salim-sulaiman-mandela-100610.html

BryonMorrigan
11 June 2010, 04:38 PM
Is it bad of me that I'm rooting for England instead of my native country (USA)? I mean, the USA doesn't have a rat's chance in hell...but I am a huge Manchester United fan and I'd love to see Wayne Rooney kick some a--!

atanu
11 June 2010, 11:48 PM
Somehow, i think that i will make Argentina win this time. Any gambling on this?

satay
12 June 2010, 12:21 PM
Namaste,

Argentina wins Nigeria 1-0, cool.
USA Vs England this afternoon.
Hey Bryon, cheer for USA. :)

TatTvamAsi
13 June 2010, 01:52 PM
Any idea why in a country of 1.2 BILLION people (India), they can't come up with 11 guys to kick a ball around?! :D

Russell Peters said, "Do you know how hard it is to kick a ball with curly-toed slippers?" hahahahhaha.....

But seriously, why does India NEVER make it to the world cup?!

Since India is not in it, USA all the way!

BryonMorrigan
13 June 2010, 04:05 PM
Any idea why in a country of 1.2 BILLION people (India), they can't come up with 11 guys to kick a ball around?! :D

Russell Peters said, "Do you know how hard it is to kick a ball with curly-toed slippers?" hahahahhaha.....

Since India is not in it, USA all the way!

Indians are too busy playing cricket!

But I was appalled by how poorly the English team played yesterday. I mean, that had to be the most amateurish own-goal I've ever seen in a World Cup. I've changed my mind. The US team may suck in general (I think the US women's team is actually much better...) but I'm going with the underdog now...

Eastern Mind
13 June 2010, 06:12 PM
Vannakkam:

Go Canada!

oops, we're ranked 85th

Aum

atanu
14 June 2010, 12:57 AM
-

India abhors the logic of 22 guys craving and fighting for possession of a single ball. :)

Seriously, we are physically unfit, prefer lordly cricket, and most good people go abroad.

amith vikram
14 June 2010, 02:50 AM
Germany will win the world cup this time.there are so many nations playing football from so many continents,but germany is a class apart.they are huge,fast and fearless.........but i also wish gerrard steers his tem to the finals.....

Shanti
14 June 2010, 12:12 PM
Indians are too busy playing cricket!

But I was appalled by how poorly the English team played yesterday. I mean, that had to be the most amateurish own-goal I've ever seen in a World Cup. I've changed my mind. The US team may suck in general (I think the US women's team is actually much better...) but I'm going with the underdog now...

Because they're not allowed to play barefoot:D

They qualified (by default) only one time for FIFA World Cup in 1950, but had to forfeit because they couldn't manage with shoes on which were part of FIFA regulation.

Ramakrishna
26 June 2010, 05:06 PM
Namaste,

Darn, the USA is out! Oh well, they did better than most people thought they would. Just wait another four years and the USA will dominate :D

Jai Sri Krishna

A.Enlightened
29 June 2010, 06:05 AM
Brazil is my Favorite Team.

atanu
02 July 2010, 12:21 PM
Brazil is knocked out. I am sad.

amith vikram
03 July 2010, 04:32 AM
finals will be b/n holland and germany.who wants 2 bet?
it'll be a very nice match-robben vs mueller,sneijder vs podolski

Sahasranama
03 July 2010, 04:41 AM
Hup Holland! :D

satay
03 July 2010, 11:32 AM
German team is my fav now, though I also love the Dutch. Let us see.

atanu
03 July 2010, 11:38 AM
German team is my fav now, though I also love the Dutch. Let us see.

:ill:

satay
03 July 2010, 11:40 AM

Take care Atanu. Enjoy the games. :)
Go Muller...

atanu
03 July 2010, 11:49 AM
Take care Atanu. Enjoy the games. :)
Go Muller...

:)

Thanks Satay. But no. No Muller. This heart will stick with the artistic types -- with Xavi and Villa -- though i know it may be impossible for the little masters to replicate the European Championship results.

More sobbing

satay
03 July 2010, 12:04 PM
Just curious. Why no Muller? Have you watched the German games? Since I am a neutral I try to cheer for the best performance, no matter the country. Now, German team is all mostly young players. They came in the world cup with pundits saying the team is too young and inexperienced but if you watch their games...they keep annihilating the giants like England, Australia and now Argentina...

Thanks Satay. But no. No Muller. This heart will stick with the artistic types -- with Xavi and Villa -- though i know it may be impossible for the little masters to replicate the European Championship results.

More sobbing

atanu
03 July 2010, 12:20 PM
Just curious. Why no Muller? Have you watched the German games? Since I am a neutral I try to cheer for the best performance, no matter the country. Now, German team is all mostly young players. They came in the world cup with pundits saying the team is too young and inexperienced but if you watch their games...they keep annihilating the giants like England, Australia and now Argentina...

Mueller is out. Well, Australia is no giant in soccer. But yes, I have watched Germans against England and just now against Argentina. I applaud them and their performance, which reduced England and Argentina to puppets; and think the present German team is something - almost invincible. Well almost --.

I know that football is a total game, yet I prefer the artistry more than the athleticism -- a personal preference.

Ramakrishna
07 July 2010, 10:25 PM
Namaste,

Well Germany got tamed by Spain. The Spanish goalie must be really good, they've only allowed 2 goals the entire tournament!

I'm going with the Netherlands for the championship, though. They seem like a more complete team, and Spain doesn't score a lot of goals. Of course, I'm no expert on soccer at all.

Jai Sri Krishna

atanu
10 July 2010, 02:40 AM
Namaste,

Well Germany got tamed by Spain. The Spanish goalie must be really good, they've only allowed 2 goals the entire tournament!

I'm going with the Netherlands for the championship, though. They seem like a more complete team, and Spain doesn't score a lot of goals. Of course, I'm no expert on soccer at all.

Jai Sri Krishna

Namaste Ramakrishna

Spain did not fall prey to the mistakes that Englad and Argentina commited of allowing very fast forwarrd line of Germany to mount counter attack but dominated the game unabated by using their own experitise of one touch passing.

Even experts wonder at the efficieny of the one touch passing game of the present spanish team. Experts call it a self-less team. The whole team works as one organism juggling the ball from one part to another, creating beauty in the process. They are able to kill speed in the opponent. But being more self-less than individualistic, are less on scoring goals. For me the beauty is breathtaking and work of art. As such I adore 5 foot 7 inches Xavi and only slightly bigger David Villa. It was surprising to see that how these small men dominated the game. This gives me hope that someday Asians also will come up.

Netherlands are more like the German team, fast on capitalising on opportunities. Both teams are almost equally poised. Let's see. This should be an interesting final game.

Om Namah Shivaya

sm78
10 July 2010, 09:16 AM
I'm going with the Netherlands for the championship, though.

I am going with Paul the Octpus and Spain. Unless Netherlands hits the net from one shot from somewhere in midfield, I don't think they would have a chance.

BryonMorrigan
10 July 2010, 11:43 AM
As such I adore 5 foot 7 inches Xavi and only slightly bigger David Villa. It was surprising to see that how these small men dominated the game. This gives me hope that someday Asians also will come up.

HOBBIT POWER!

(Full Disclosure: I am 5'6"...)

I'm frankly surprised that the Dutch team is doing so well without my favorite Dutch players (Edwin van der Sar and Ruud van Nistelrooy).

atanu
11 July 2010, 04:29 AM
Exaggeration

atanu
11 July 2010, 02:31 PM
HOBBIT POWER!

(Full Disclosure: I am 5'6"...)

I'm frankly surprised that the Dutch team is doing so well without my favorite Dutch players (Edwin van der Sar and Ruud van Nistelrooy).

IMO, Holland is vicious on fouling. But done. First WC final for Spain.

Sahasranama
11 July 2010, 04:20 PM
The referee was partial against Holland. If the game was played fair, the goal of spain should not have been counted, the ball was offside before they hit the goal. :mad:

Ramakrishna
11 July 2010, 10:15 PM
Namaste,

It was a good World Cup. Congrats to Spain. I've never watched so much soccer in my life. It's not that bad of a sport, really. Hopefully in four years the United States will win :D

Jai Sri Krishna

atanu
12 July 2010, 12:54 AM
The referee was partial against Holland. If the game was played fair, the goal of spain should not have been counted, the ball was offside before they hit the goal. :mad:

;) Ball was offside?

Sahasranama
12 July 2010, 03:41 AM
I meant that the player was offside. :o

BryonMorrigan
12 July 2010, 11:22 AM
Oh, and in a final parting note regarding the World Cup: I'm a firm believer in diversity, as well as giving jobs to the physically-challenged. However, I do wonder about the employment of blind people as referees. I think FIFA should look into this practice. LOL.

Jeez. I can't believe that the ref overlooked that obvious second yellow card on Puyol. Spain should've been playing with 10 players from then on.

atanu
14 July 2010, 08:13 AM
Oh, and in a final parting note regarding the World Cup: I'm a firm believer in diversity, as well as giving jobs to the physically-challenged. However, I do wonder about the employment of blind people as referees. I think FIFA should look into this practice. LOL.

Jeez. I can't believe that the ref overlooked that obvious second yellow card on Puyol. Spain should've been playing with 10 players from then on.

Namaste namaste

You may be very correct but I have not seen this assessment from any report. Secondly, I having been a football player, know that football should be played with the ball and not bodily with the opponent. It is a fantastic representation of the life process itself. But again, as in life, some will do anything. Especially, iron booted kicks delivered to thighs and chest of opponent players by Van Bommel and De Jong, make me think that it was a game of kick boxing.

Johan Cryuff, the greatest Dutch player ever says so.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/98394564.html

And every report I have read says so. Even the Dutch coach has acknowledged that they did not play a clean game. I am not emotional and I do not have any relationship with the spanish team. I am only talking from the perspective of favouring BEAUTY against BULLYING. The way this Spanish team played there was no other way to stop them other than body tackling (instead of ball tackling). This has happened enough. In Pele's heyday, 3 players would attach to him and bring him down. After a particular match, Pele left the field crying.

Surely there might have been lapses but I never thought that the referee was blind. There was a scramble in Dutch penalty area when one after another, 3 spanish players were brought down -- Iniesta, Xavi and the third I do not remember.

I have written long because I love football. Please pardon me.

Om Namah Shivaya

Kickboxing below:

isavasya
14 July 2010, 08:49 AM
Player was not offside at all, the goal was perfectly legal, also puyol didn't deserved any second yellow card, the only mistake referee made was that just before gaol was scored, holland deserved a corner, somehow referee couldn't see that. I do say spaniards were maintaining the cool and dutch had lost it from very begining, they were very desparate. Spain deserved the victory, I think they only scored 8 goals in the tournament, but their defense line and captain goalkeeper were superb.:)

My favourite team was Argentina, but sadly got knocked off.

Sahasranama
14 July 2010, 09:28 AM
It's not about being the best player, it's about scorring. The goal would not have happened if the referee paid better attention and Holland would have a change with the penalty shots.

BryonMorrigan
14 July 2010, 12:19 PM
Player was not offside at all, the goal was perfectly legal, also puyol didn't deserved any second yellow card, the only mistake referee made was that just before gaol was scored, holland deserved a corner, somehow referee couldn't see that. I do say spaniards were maintaining the cool and dutch had lost it from very begining, they were very desparate. Spain deserved the victory, I think they only scored 8 goals in the tournament, but their defense line and captain goalkeeper were superb.:)

My favourite team was Argentina, but sadly got knocked off.

You don't think this deserved a yellow card, at least? (I personally think it was a red card in and of itself, according to the "last man" rule...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwEG1n5qqro

I also think the referees obviously missed a bunch of times where the goalie's hand touched the ball, making it a corner, but it was declared a goal kick instead. He did this twice for Spain that I caught, and then there was the time that he gave the Netherlands a corner when it wasn't deserved. Major props for the Netherlands kicking that one to the Spanish goalie.

I think Spain deserved to win, as they played better overall. I just hate for the World Cup to be besmirched by such bad reffing. There were so many obvious mistakes, that the ref could have seriously impacted the game by making these wrong calls.

Oh, and Atanu, I played football all through middle and high school. I don't know how physical the sport is played in Spain or the Netherlands, but in English soccer leagues, it's even more violent than what was going on in this last game. Personally, I think Algeria was the most violent team in the World Cup (that I saw...I didn't catch every game....).

atanu
14 July 2010, 12:31 PM
You don't think this deserved a yellow card, at least? (I personally think it was a red card in and of itself, according to the "last man" rule...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwEG1n5qqro

I also think the referees obviously missed a bunch of times where the goalie's hand touched the ball, making it a corner, but it was declared a goal kick instead. He did this twice for Spain that I caught, and then there was the time that he gave the Netherlands a corner when it wasn't deserved. Major props for the Netherlands kicking that one to the Spanish goalie.

I think Spain deserved to win, as they played better overall. I just hate for the World Cup to be besmirched by such bad reffing. There were so many obvious mistakes, that the ref could have seriously impacted the game by making these wrong calls.

Oh, and Atanu, I played football all through middle and high school. I don't know how physical the sport is played in Spain or the Netherlands, but in English soccer leagues, it's even more violent than what was going on in this last game. Personally, I think Algeria was the most violent team in the World Cup (that I saw...I didn't catch every game....).

Namaste

I said you may be correct from your standpoint. But no expert, no player, has said what you say. If there was one occassion that Spain should have got a red card, then there were 3 occassions for Holland, especially the kick boxing episode.

Just compare the high technical level of play that happened in Germany-Spain match.

I repeat that I am not emotional because spain is not my country. And the funniest thing is that it is Holland who taught the world about Total football. Because Algeria placyed rougher cannot be the justification. Well, I now look forward to 2014.

Om Namah Shivaya

Ganeshprasad
14 July 2010, 03:07 PM
Pranam Atanu ji

I have written long because I love football. Please pardon me.

Om Namah Shivaya

Kickboxing below:

i am pleasantly surprised because not many i know in India are so passionate about Football, i personally love the game both as playing in my youth(i still do this youth in me don't let go) and watching it.

as to the world cup was huge disappointment to me because England just did not turn up.

As for the final i wanted the Dutch to win, unfortunately their tactic were all wrong and played such rough game, all those yellow cards and lack off red card, stopped the flow off the game. the referee had a tough job to handle.

I think England were the most unlucky in the refereeing decision, although Tavez offside decision was bad enough.

do you follow premiership football?

Jai Shree Krishna

BryonMorrigan
14 July 2010, 03:20 PM
I said you may be correct from your standpoint. But no expert, no player, has said what you say. If there was one occassion that Spain should have got a red card, then there were 3 occassions for Holland, especially the kick boxing episode.

The US commentators on the match mentioned all of the things that I mentioned. I don't remember who they were for that match.

Just compare the high technical level of play that happened in Germany-Spain match.

Best game of the Cup, IMO.

do you follow premiership football?

MAN U ALL THE WAY!

Ganeshprasad
14 July 2010, 03:31 PM
Pranam BM

MAN U ALL THE WAY!

Wow what can i say, man out of own heart, Man U since a long time.

Jai Shree Krishna

Eastern Mind
14 July 2010, 05:35 PM
Vannakkam :

Now we know some of these hooligans who go off to Europe and get banned for destroying streets nearby stadiums in the name of Man U. Not representing Sanatana Dharma very well, are we.

I will give odds of a million to one against Canada winning in 2014 in Brazil.
Is it Brazil? Shows how much I know. Can we just talk baseball or ice hockey instead?

Aum

yajvan
14 July 2010, 08:00 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

cup? what is this cup?... did I miss an event? :)

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/college_guide/college_guide/images/tea_cup.jpg

atanu
14 July 2010, 11:02 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Oh yes. You missed.:Cool: Without eating a mango, how can one even imagine what is missed?

It is the World Cup. The CUP that holds the WORLD.

Om Namah Shivaya

satay
14 July 2010, 11:42 PM
namaskar,

hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

I don't know how you missed it with all your jyotish knowledge! :)

yajvan
15 July 2010, 12:35 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

world cup?

http://www.gocatalyst.com/images/Hands%20holding%20world.jpg

Ganeshprasad
15 July 2010, 01:03 PM
pranam

How does that song go?

He's got the whole world in his hand

Jai Shree Krishna