PDA

View Full Version : Yoga and parapsychology

akshayp
13 June 2010, 08:34 AM
The texts on yoga offer us hints on techniques to be practised for perception of realms beyond the normal waking state of mind. It is not, to say the least, an easy path and the seeker of evidence and truth of phenomena such as telepathy, psychokinesis, precognition, etc. is faced with several obstacles, some of which are erosive of even his initial enthusiasm to pursue the truth using the recommended method.

Therefore we have here a necessity to rely on anumAna and Agama. In this regard, I would greatly appreciate it if fellow members could link me to any (auto)biographies of persons who have explored parapsychological domains in depth and with open-minded rationality. (I am already aware of yogAnanda and aurobindo, I need other pointers)

Eastern Mind
13 June 2010, 03:48 PM
Vannakkam akshayp:

Welcome to these forums.

Can you define or give examples of parapsychology, so we know what you mean.

Aum Namasivaya

akshayp
14 June 2010, 05:49 AM
By parapsychological domains I was referring to the phenomena of extrasensory perception, clairvoyance, psychokinesis, precognition, etc. In our traditions we have hundreds of hagiographical accounts but we hardly ever find biographies with a critically expository approach, or at least there is the peculiar exaggeration of the saint's qualities and powers rather than a frank assessment.