PDA

View Full Version : Swastika and its use.

SethDrebitko
13 June 2010, 11:14 AM
From what I understand the symbol is still widely used in India, but I was curious how/if its use in western nations remains. Given its association with nazi propaganda has this symbol been abandoned by hindu's in the west?

sanjaya
13 June 2010, 11:26 AM
Honestly I never even saw the swastika used in a Hindu context until my father became a devotee of Shirdi Sai Baba and got an image of Baba which displayed one. And this was long after I had learned about its use by the Nazis. I guess it's not used so widely by us here in the West.

Odion
13 June 2010, 12:05 PM
From what I understand the symbol is still widely used in India, but I was curious how/if its use in western nations remains. Given its association with nazi propaganda has this symbol been abandoned by hindu's in the west?
It was in the mandir I was in yesterday, but not a very large one - there was a little piece of paper with a swastika on, too, but I think it's still somewhat widely used, although only within the mandir, in the East, on murti, etc. It's far less common in the West, at a guess.

I know a shorter version of a story where a guy was supposed to be going to a Tibet or something, and he had something with a swastika on in a post office and so people accused him of being a Nazi or something like that. I don't know how true it is, or even if it's from my country, but it's something I've heard.

I know a lot of people still see it as a symbol that should be avoided because it is 'tainted' (hell, I've even heard someone say it's an evil symbol!). That shouldn't be the case, though.

Sahasranama
13 June 2010, 01:02 PM
Swastika is a great symbol, let's not call it tainted.

TatTvamAsi
13 June 2010, 01:27 PM
Swastika is "that which is auspicious".

Hitler and his theosophy-loving cronies took it and made use of it.

Swastika is a Sanskrit word just like ARYA/ARYAN is.

Hindus = ARYANS.

Swastika is used very widely in Hinduism as well as Jainism.

It is a great symbol.

Odion
13 June 2010, 01:49 PM
Swastika is a great symbol, let's not call it tainted.
You'll hear no disagreement from me there. (It wasn't me who called it tainted, btw - I wouldn't. :))

Though, people need to learn that it is a great symbol, and it's not one of hatred, oppression, bigotry or anything. As TatTvamAsi points out, its name means "that which is auspicious" - it's tragic that it's become seen as a negative symbol.

If the West don't learn that it's not a symbol of negativity, though, it will take longer for the stigma of its usage there to erode. We can't blame the average Westerner for being ignorant of what it represents if we don't tell them. The media and education systems sure as hell won't.

SethDrebitko
13 June 2010, 02:28 PM
I have been trying to think of a way to increase the awareness of its use in positive reference. The problem I see is that neo-nazi organizations still use the symbol to enforce hate.

Eastern Mind
13 June 2010, 03:53 PM
Vannakkam; here is a link to a more lengthy explanation:

http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/lg/lg_ch-07.html

I like the swastika in Hindu form, but the Nazi formed has changed it in two ways: reversal, and angle of looking at.

Aum Namasivaya

yajvan
13 June 2010, 07:05 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

If I may let me offer my conjecture on the following...
swastika in saṃskṛt is spelled svástika or in devanāgarī script स्वस्तिक .

In sanātana dharma it (svástika) is most often seen as dakṣiṇa ( right facing) 卐. Can it be other wise i.e. left facing ? 卍 , yes , but I do not see this often ( others may wish to comment here).

This word assists us on what the symbol brings svá+sti+ ka , sv + asti + ka or sva +asti + ka

This sva means own , one's own , my own ,and can also be viewed as su or ṣū meaning to bring forth.
asti is existent , present from 'as' to live, to be.
ka - as a noun is happiness , joy , pleasure ; it is also splendor and light.
And sva +asti = svasti means well being, fortune , luck , success , prosperity Hence sva +asti + ka is to live ones own joy happiness and splendor. The symbol is that which brings these qualities i.e. good fortune. For me this is dakṣiṇa ( right facing) 卐 .

Right facing infers the right path, 'right facing' right action. In sanātana dharma we always move to the right or pradakṣiṇa.

It is my humble opinion that Nazi Germany moved to and was always to the left. I have seen many svástika that were left facing.
Now this is not the offical position of their hakenkreuz (hāken+ kreuz or hooked cross) as they called it.

Their official position was standing on a corner of one arm , hence the svástika was rotated 45º. For me an unstable position which brought them no good fortune .

Now another view point and definition that must be considered is in sva +asti + ka. I mentioned the definition above for asti defined as to live, to be , yet it also means to thow off, to set or cast aside, drive away. And IMHO this is what nazi Germany did , they cast aside their good fortune.

But why so? It depends what side of dharma ( that which uplifts) you are on. When you are dakṣiṇa 'ka' uplifts or is tad-dhita 'good for that or him' . But when one is tamasic then this 'ka' turns

sva into a-sva or asva defined as 'having no property' i.e. not bringing forth. It does not bring forth good fortune and upliftment and alignment to dharma.

So is my conjecture based upon the words and their defintion found in to the roots of svástika.

praṇām

SethDrebitko
13 June 2010, 08:44 PM
Yes left facing would infer a negative connotation. The Germans almost certainly spelled it swastika based on a phonetical spelling. The W in German makes a V sound.

For example my born last name Bashwinger in American would be pronounced Boshvinger in German.

MahaHrada
14 June 2010, 06:22 AM
The Svastika is used in India both ways right and left turning and both are considered auspicous angled as well as flat. That one variety is good the other bad is a western occult superstition, influenced by christianity and its belief in Satan, we find the same situation with the upright or downward pointing five angled Pentagram which is also used both ways in Hindu Yantras while christians and new agers belive that the downward pointing one is "satanic". This atttude of "divine and satanic" symbols has even been applied to the up or downward pointing triangle which is of course also auspicous no matter which way it points. Reject this demonizing attitude, this is what is evil, the direction in which these ancient symbols face are innocent.

devotee
14 June 2010, 06:37 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

In sanātana dharma it (svástika) is most often seen as dakṣiṇa ( right facing) 卐. Can it be other wise i.e. left facing ? 卍 , yes , but I do not see this often ( others may wish to comment here).

Right from our childhood we were taught to use the Dakshina symbol & not the reverse one that was used by Hitler. In fact, I was told that it was the difference between the Swastika and Nazi sign.

OM

Sahasranama
14 June 2010, 07:05 AM
The Svastika is used in India both ways right and left turning and both are considered auspicous angled as well as flat. That one variety is good the other bad is a western occult superstition, influenced by christianity and its belief in Satan, we find the same situation with the upright or downward pointing five angled Pentagram which is also used both ways in Hindu Yantras while christians and new agers belive that the downward pointing one is "satanic". This atttude of "divine and satanic" symbols has even been applied to the up or downward pointing triangle which is of course also auspicous no matter which way it points. Reject this demonizing attitude, this is what is evil, the direction in which these ancient symbols face are innocent.

Yes, we should be very careful not to mix Hinduism with western occultic superstition.

MahaHrada
14 June 2010, 07:06 AM
Right from our childhood we were taught to use the Dakshina symbol & not the reverse one that was used by Hitler. In fact, I was told that it was the difference between the Swastika and Nazi sign.

OM

The right moving represents the sristhi power, (outward directed) it is more benefical in a material way, and therefore more appropriate for the grihasta and his aim to attract worldly auspicousness, the left moving is the return movement, samhara, the dissolving power, (inward directed) therefore more apppropiate or benefical for renunciation, yoga and sadhana. Both are auspicious.

saidevo
14 June 2010, 10:25 AM
namaste everyone.

It is interesting to have a look at the meaning of the SaMskRta particle 'svasti' from which the term 'svastikaH' is formed, from Apte's Sanskrit Dictionary:

• 'svasti' by itself means 'may it be well with (one)';
• 'svasti bhavate' means 'farewell', 'hail', 'adieu';
• 'svastyastu' is often used at the beginning of letters;

• 'svasti-ayanaM' means 'the means of securing prosperity', 'the averting of evils by the recitation of mantras or performance of expiatory rites' or 'the benediction of a brAhmaNa after presentation of offerings'. "prAsthAH nikaM svastyayanaM prayujya"--RaghuvaMsha, 2.70.

• 'svastidaH, svastibhAva' are epithets of Shiva;
• 'svasti-mukha' is a letter or a brAhmaNa or a bard, panegyist;

• 'svasti-vAchanaM, svasti-vAchanakaM, svastivAchanikaM' are the religious rites preparatory to a yanja or any other religious observance. It also means a complementary or congratulatory present of flowers etc. to anyone attended with good wishes and blessings;

• 'svasti-vAchyaM' means 'congratulations', 'invoking blessings'.

Among the other meanings of the term 'svastika' are:

• The crossing of the arms over the chest, making a sign like the cross; "stanavi nihita hasta svastikArbhivachUbhiH"--mAlatI-mAdhava, a play by BhavabhUti

• A palace of a particular form.

• A particular symbol made with ground rice and shaped like a triangle.

• A particular mode of sitting practised by yogins. This yogAsana is considered to evoke good luck. shAnDilya upaniShad of the Atharva Veda has this AsanA among the eight, and describes it "as the sitting at ease with body erect, placing each foot between the thighs and knees of the other."

Ref:
http://books.google.com/books?id=uSTAo147osYC&pg=PA1393&lpg=PA1393&dq=%22svastika%22+veda&source=bl&ots=5XRt5j7CRf&sig=kAqnvHphvAEXHeh4mhkPWCp3UJE&hl=en&ei=V0cWTNexGtG_rAekuritCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CCsQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Some svastika references:

• According to VAyu PurANa serpents bear a sign of it on their hoods.

• It also represents the fire-making apparatus of old times, used for kindling the sacrificial fire (homAgni).

• PANiNI, the great Indian scholar, used this symbol as the name of a sign in his grammatical treatise, AshtAdhyayI ("Eight Chapters", 450 BCE).

Ref: http://www.indiancultureonline.com/details/Svastika.html

The Svastika was the symbol of the Sun and it’s rays and represented the Self. The chariot was the subtle body, and it’s wheels the chakras. The horses were pranas, and all different animals personified the sense-organs in man. These symbols become apparent in Rig Veda. (http://satyavidya.com/cosmicvibrations.htm)

rcscwc
14 June 2010, 11:58 PM
Swastika is known as Ganeshji too. Any Hindu ritual or rite requires an altar with swastika drawn on it. It has to in turmeric yellow, vermilion red or saffron colors. Even flowers too can be arranged to form it. But never, never black. Without it an altar is not complete.

It is widely used for religious purposes, and hardly ever for secular ones. Invitation cards for weddings, and other rites invariably a swastika. Envelopes for cash gifts too have swastika printed on them. The symbol is on the neck chains too. A middle class Hindu in India takes the new vehicle to the temple where the priest blesses it, and a swastika is drawn on its front. Account books, not all, have this on their cover page, as also the cash chests in shops. It is invariably found on the holy books, sometimes their pages have a border of swastikas. Average Hindu household has a number of these symbols in the homes.

Swastika is interwoven into Hinduism to an extent that it cannot be taken off it. In west, Hindus might be prohibited from exhibiting it publicly, but their right to use and rever is recognized.

You can take swastika away from a Hindu, but not a Hindu from swastika, even in the west.

Hindus do not care or mind if the ignorant in the west take as a purely nazi symbol, which anyway is not a swastika.

Interesting : Many Hindus think that Hitler abused and perverted the symbol of Ganesha. And that he paid the price for it.

NayaSurya
15 June 2010, 11:25 AM
I am a member of a group of Facebook to take back the swastika. See, there are places in this world that having one is outlawed.

The best thing to do is to educate others who are ignorant. I have had my children bring in swastika numerous times to school to speak about this travesty. It has really helped educate many many children about the truth.

I have not met one person whom, after given the truth of the situation didn't fully understand. Sadly, there are countries in Europe that are still slow to remove this misunderstanding due to their past.

BryonMorrigan
15 June 2010, 11:40 AM
Sadly, there are countries in Europe that are still slow to remove this misunderstanding due to their past.

In some cases, this can be somewhat comical. For example, in the German version of the movie "American History X," where Ed Norton plays a skinhead that turns away from racism...the swastika tattoo on his chest is censored out! Personally, I think doing things like that gives more "power" to the idea that these symbols have "evil occult powers."

Also, I prefer to refer to the Nazi version as they did: They often called it the "Hakenkreuz"(*) or "hook-cross." This helps to differentiate it from the original Hindu symbol.

(*) This would be phonetically pronounced as "HAH - Ken - Kroitz."

Storm
15 June 2010, 11:41 AM
If I may offer an outsider's perspective....

I have mixed feelings about the goal of reclaiming the swastika. On the one hand, such a beautiful symbol should not be lost to perversion. On the other, I wonder if it's not too late. Even though I know better, every time I see one, I'm filled with revulsion, and there's a part of me that thinks this is proper.

Sometimes it seems we're on the verge of forgetting the agonizing lessons of the Holocaust, and I for one, do not wish to have to learn them again. History must be honored.

Do you think a balance can be struck?

TatTvamAsi
15 June 2010, 12:16 PM

I have mixed feelings about the goal of reclaiming the swastika. On the one hand, such a beautiful symbol should not be lost to perversion. On the other, I wonder if it's not too late. Even though I know better, every time I see one, I'm filled with revulsion, and there's a part of me that thinks this is proper.

The Swastika is used daily in all Hindu/Jain prayers. It never was, is, or ever will be a symbol that will be done away with just because some mlecchas don't understand it or are hurt by it.

Every temple across the world uses swastikas. And that is just how it is going to be.

Storm
15 June 2010, 02:37 PM
but go back and read EVERY educational post by Yajvan.
I did a search, and wow! That's a LOT of threads. Can you recommend a starting point?

Darji
15 June 2010, 02:49 PM
I did a search, and wow! That's a LOT of threads. Can you recommend a starting point?

The Beginning.

Not trying to be smart, just you have to realize how vast this is. If you want more of a Hinduism 101, and seeing you are pointed toward the Shaiva side of things then check out http://www.himalayanacademy.com/basics/

One thing I used to absolutely hate about this forum is the fact no one gives a direct straight answer to anything, I've come to the understanding that there are no straight answers. So unless you have a guru or talk regularly with someone who is on the same path, everything here will be general. So just be a sponge, and, if this is the path for you and Bhagavan finds you worthy, then a teacher will present him/ herself to you. When I first started out, not to long ago actually, I pretty much convinced myself I was a Nimbark, even though the magic eight-ball said "All signs point to No", then finally I stopped looking, centred myself, and sat down and started chanting Rama Nama (for no real or evident reason) and the very next day I found my path and was in communication with a Ramanandi parivar and was welcomed with open arms and I felt at home and suddenly all my thoughts, feelings and beliefs came into focus. So my advice to any noob here, relax, learn the fundamentals, centre yourself and ask God for guidance HE WILL LISTEN and send you someone when you are ready (sometimes when you are not).

Storm
15 June 2010, 02:57 PM
The Beginning.
:D

Not trying to be smart, just you have to realize how vast this is.
I have an inkling, at least. But I'm ambitious, lol.

If you want more of a Hinduism 101, and seeing you are pointed toward the Shaiva side of things then check out http://www.himalayanacademy.com/basics/
That looks perfect! Thank you yet again.

One thing I used to absolutely hate about this forum is the fact no one gives a direct straight answer to anything, I've come to the understanding that there are no straight answers. So unless you have a guru or talk regularly with someone who is on the same path, everything here will be general. So just be a sponge, and, if this is the path for you and Bhagavan finds you worthy, then a teacher will present him/ herself to you.
Excellent point. :)

Darji
15 June 2010, 02:58 PM
damn that was a fast response!, My screen hadn't even refreshed yet!

Well good to see you are all over it :)

Storm
15 June 2010, 03:05 PM
LOL, I'm eager, too.

Eastern Mind
15 June 2010, 04:44 PM
One thing I used to absolutely hate about this forum is the fact no one gives a direct straight answer to anything, I've come to the understanding that there are no straight answers.

This is so true. Everyone will have two answers or more. I know for me, if I am hosting an educational tour, at out temple, and when I get a question, I often say. "Which answer do you want, what Hindus generally believe, what my particular sect believes, or my own personal opinion?"

All three answers will vary. As far as a direct answer goes, personal opinion is most apt at directness. But here again we have many people who actually don't know what they themselves believe. All they are doing is regurgitating what they have read somewhere.

It also gets confusing when people express their opinion maintaining it is what all Hindus believe, or ethnocentricity, village mentality. They need to move a round a bit more, I think.

Then again most questions can be answered on two or more levels, certainly an intellectual one, and also a mystical one. So if someone like Storm may ask a simple question and get 7 different answers. Then he has to sit down and ask, "Which of these makes the most sense to me?" which is what he is doing now.

Aum Namasivaya

rcscwc
15 June 2010, 09:54 PM

I assure you that Hindus do not need to reclaim it; it was never lost to them. If someone uses the swastika as weapon to break heads, surely it is not be blamed. Then you will have to ban the kitchen knife too.

If you try to understand swastika's stutus among Indian faiths, then there would be no reason to revile it.

Sometimes it seems we're on the verge of forgetting the agonizing lessons of the Holocaust, and I for one, do not wish to have to learn them again. History must be honored.

Do you think a balance can be struck?
Hindus, Hinduism and Hindu symbols are not even connected with holocaust, which was due to religious and racial hatred for Jews.

What sort of balance do you have in mind?

yajvan
15 June 2010, 10:11 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

I assure you that Hindus do not need to reclaim it; it was never lost to them.
Hindus, Hinduism and Hindu symbols are not even connected with holocaust, which was due to religious and racial hatred for Jews.

A most wise post - thank you.

Alise
16 June 2010, 02:48 AM
Well, people still associate swastika with holocaust.... Especially in Latvia. Socialism is famous here... There is still hatred of jews here..

I wouldn't use it in Latvia, 'cause people would misuderstood... But I like swastika as symbol & it's meaning is great. I read it was widely used even in Western world before holocaust as good luck sign and so on..

But I remember that Zara had purse with swastikas and flowers. Of course not associated with holocaust. Jews were complaining (I have nothing against jews), so they stopped to sell it...

People should remember the real meaning of swastika & use it again as good luck sign. Holocaust is bad past (I don't denial Holocaust), but it was not swastika's fault wrong people misused it in wrong time... Hope you understand my point.

Have a nice day,
~Alice

devotee
16 June 2010, 03:33 AM
The right moving represents the sristhi power, (outward directed) it is more benefical in a material way, and therefore more appropriate for the grihasta and his aim to attract worldly auspicousness, the left moving is the return movement, samhara, the dissolving power, (inward directed) therefore more apppropiate or benefical for renunciation, yoga and sadhana. Both are auspicious.

Any scriptural reference to support this view ?

OM

Eastern Mind
16 June 2010, 07:38 AM
Well, people still associate swastika with holocaust.... Especially in Latvia. Socialism is famous here... There is still hatred of jews here..

I wouldn't use it in Latvia, 'cause people would misuderstood... But I like swastika as symbol & it's meaning is great. I read it was widely used even in Western world before holocaust as good luck sign and so on..

But I remember that Zara had purse with swastikas and flowers. Of course not associated with holocaust. Jews were complaining (I have nothing against jews), so they stopped to sell it...

People should remember the real meaning of swastika & use it again as good luck sign. Holocaust is bad past (I don't denial Holocaust), but it was not swastika's fault wrong people misused it in wrong time... Hope you understand my point.

Have a nice day,
~Alice

Vannakkam SA:

I agree that fully knowing something is hurtful, and shoving it in one's face would be just plain rude. We all need to follow some sort of cultural sensitivity. The painting of the Nazi symbol (wrongly misinterpreted as a swastika) on a synagogue is hate, period. We would certainly take exception to something similar to a Hindu temple.

I am curious as to how rational or more liberal Jewish people view the swastika in its original form. Perhaps they don't react as much as we might believe. Anyone here have a Jewish friend they could ask?

Regarding bullying behaviour, judgment should always be in the eyes of the victim, not the bully.

Still I too love the swastika as a symbol.

Aum Namasivaya

Darji
16 June 2010, 08:15 AM
Especially in Latvia. Socialism is famous here... There is still hatred of jews here..

I perfectly understand your situation, on of my best mates ever is Latvian, and well I done think I ever heard a good thing about jews roll from his lips, so it is understandable in that climate if you want to shy away from its use. BUT you have to remember you can't do away with a holy symbol that is such an intrical part of the faith and used for thousands upon thousands of years all because a syphilitic nut case used it for 20 only years

NayaSurya
16 June 2010, 09:32 AM
I almost posted about Sagan yesterday, but with this crazy things going on by a certain person I didn't because the fire was too hot to add the log...so to speak..er type.:p

I have, rather, had a Jewish friend named Carl Sagan...he spoke most of his whole lifetime about the importance of the swastika in societies all over the world. He put it in books.

He discovered the Native Americans had something very similar and also many other cultures all over the earth.

He did not see the symbol as a hate symbol...and he was Russian Jew.

So, if my beloved friend Sagan, a Russian Jew, a friend to us all...can accept it as a significantly important, ancient and wonderful symbol.

Then all of us should feel comfortable doing the same.

After all, if some crazy group used the Statue of Liberty as their symbol...and killed millions of people, would we take it down?

I don't think we would. It would stand forever as a reminder of that evil...and how we as humans persevered.

MahaHrada
16 June 2010, 09:39 AM
Any scriptural reference to support this view ?

OM

No. i don´t know of any shastra that does so much as even mention the svastika.

What we know is rather through oral transmission, the svastika connects to astronomical observation and is related to the agni, surya and soma and describes how the dimensionless point, the bindu expands into space, the two crossing lines, and adds time, the movement represented by the side arms, which is either solar, clockwise or lunar anticlockwise. It also relates to Mount meru, Kailash, the pole star the earth spin the saptarishi constellation and related topics such as the story of the churning of the ocean and its connection to the subtle body chakras and kundalini etc. The direction commonly used by Hindus is clockwise, and the Nazi "Hakenkreuz" shows the same direction.

SethDrebitko
19 June 2010, 10:51 AM
I don't have much else to offer other than thanks for all the varied and interesting opinions!

Shanti
22 June 2010, 09:02 PM

OM

This is what I was taught also.

This is very interesting to learn, thank you.

rcscwc
10 August 2010, 08:17 PM
Vannakkam SA:

I agree that fully knowing something is hurtful, and shoving it in one's face would be just plain rude. We all need to follow some sort of cultural sensitivity. The painting of the Nazi symbol (wrongly misinterpreted as a swastika) on a synagogue is hate, period. We would certainly take exception to something similar to a Hindu temple.

I am curious as to how rational or more liberal Jewish people view the swastika in its original form. Perhaps they don't react as much as we might believe. Anyone here have a Jewish friend they could ask?

Regarding bullying behaviour, judgment should always be in the eyes of the victim, not the bully.

Still I too love the swastika as a symbol.

Aum Namasivaya

I too am curious about how many Jews are aware that swastika is the most holy symbol in Hinduism. Nay, it is synonimous with Lord Ganesha, and is also called so.

In fact more atrocities against jews have committed by those holding aloft the cross.

Kumar_Das
10 August 2010, 11:23 PM
Swastika is a symbol to Hindus, Jains and Buddhists. It means welfare. Su as in Suvaha, + Asti + Ka translation "that which is of good-being".

It has nothing to do with Dharma.

Dharma is represented by the Chakra.

ScottMalaysia
13 August 2010, 08:49 AM
The Hindu swastika sometimes has four dots in the centre, like this:
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:sbPLOO_4qBM8YM:http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh261/GS-Diatu/HinduSwastika.jpg

I saw a house with a Hindu swastika on the door the other day. There was also a brass statue of Lord Ganesha outside. The swastika had tapered ends unlike the Nazi perversion, which is completely straight. Still, any Jewish people who walk by that house might misunderstand and think that the person who lives there is racist or anti-Semitic.

rcscwc
28 August 2010, 07:46 AM
Time jews educated themselves.