PDA

View Full Version : Hi There

Storm
14 June 2010, 10:41 PM
I would have said "namaste," but I wasn't sure whether it would be taken as respectful or pretentious.

Anyway, Odion and I know each other from another forum, and he mentioned this place to me. Sounded like a good oppurtunity to learn, so here I am.

I'm a rather bizarre panentheist, and my religious affiliation is Unitarian Universalism. My theological background is pretty colorful - everything from atheism to hard polytheism. I seem to've settled down a bit, though, lol.

Anyway, in the course of developing my beliefs, I've reinvented a few wheels. The more I learn about Hinduism, the more familiar it seems. So, I'd like to learn more.

Madhuri
14 June 2010, 10:52 PM
Welcome Storm! Good to have you here.

devotee
14 June 2010, 10:56 PM
Welcome to the forum, Storm ! :)

OM

Storm
14 June 2010, 11:09 PM
Thank you.

What would be a good place for a thread inquiring about the nature of Shiva, and comparison to another God?

Madhuri
14 June 2010, 11:13 PM
Thank you.

What would be a good place for a thread inquiring about the nature of Shiva, and comparison to another God?

Probably 'God in Hindu Dharma', up the top of the home page.

Storm
14 June 2010, 11:14 PM
Thanks.

saidevo
14 June 2010, 11:51 PM
namaste Storm.

Welcome to HDF!

I understand that Unitarian Universalism, your religious affiliation, came up by the merger of two Christian denominations.

Although the dictionary definition of Universalism is "the theological doctrine that all souls will eventually find salvation in the grace of God"

and Hinduism is SanAtana Dharma, that is, Dharma for the entire mankind,

traditional Hinduism does NOT teach the current idea of Universalism that all religions are equal and all paths lead to the same goal,

despite the prominent concept in Hinduism that only by God's grace can an individual soul--jIva attain salvation--mukti, and that salvation is the birth-right of every soul, but it has to seek personally and individually but only eventually.

If you understand this, you will be in a better position to appreciate the multitudinous streams of bhankti--devotion, and jnAna--knowledge in Hinduism, which are united by the Dharma of the Vedas as their Mother.

bp789
15 June 2010, 12:12 AM
Welcome :). Are you from the Religious Forums? I think I've seen you there before?

Eastern Mind
15 June 2010, 07:39 AM
Vannakam Storm:

Welcome to these forums.

From the Hindu's point of view, there is no need to compare Gods. God is God, and encompasses all. (Not all Hindus of course, but mine, and many others) So what value in comparing? It leads to confusion, or debates, or arguments over which is better or supreme. Comparing is an intellectual process. Hinduism is essentially an experiential path, not an intellectual one.

All I need is Siva (or whatever view is held by your sect). There is no need for anything else.

Aum Namasivaya

Storm
15 June 2010, 09:40 AM
Well, I hope my thread did not offend you. It wasn't about "which God is better" but a possible similarity of nature.

Eastern Mind
15 June 2010, 11:48 AM
Well, I hope my thread did not offend you. It wasn't about "which God is better" but a possible similarity of nature.

Vannakkam Storm:

Not sure who you are addressing, but if it was me, you can trust that I am not easily offended. My point was just, "Why bother comparing?" Why not just work on getting closer to your own version of God? Unless of course you don't have your own version, and are still deciding what that might be. Then obviously there would be some value in that process.

Aum Namasivaya

Storm
15 June 2010, 12:04 PM
Vannakkam Storm:

Not sure who you are addressing, but if it was me, you can trust that I am not easily offended. My point was just, "Why bother comparing?" Why not just work on getting closer to your own version of God? Unless of course you don't have your own version, and are still deciding what that might be. Then obviously there would be some value in that process.

Aum Namasivaya
Yes, I was addressing you, and I'm glad to hear I gave no offense.

To answer your questions:
Comparison can be a useful tool in the pursuit of knowledge, and "all knowledge is worth having."

While I most definitely have my own version of God, as you put it, I also believe that virtually all religions are flawed, yet worthy attempts to understand God. (Before you ask, yes, my own understanding is flawed as well. I don't know how, exactly, but I do know I don't have the market cornered.) So, I want to learn all I can.

Also, while I want to learn and understand all the names of God (impossible as that may be), Hinduism is especially intriguing. It seems closest to my own beliefs, even moreso now than the neopaganism in which I'm rooted. It appeals to me, and helps me to feel a bit less freakish, lol. It also keeps me humble, reminding me that I stand on the shoulders of giants and am not as revolutionary as I might be tempted to think.

Does that make sense?

ETA: Oh, and what does "Vannakkam" mean?

Eastern Mind
15 June 2010, 12:28 PM
ETA: Oh, and what does "Vannakkam" mean?

It's the Tamil version of 'Namaste". I use it because tamil version of Saivism is what I'm familiar with, although I'm not Tamil.

Aum Namasivaya

Storm
15 June 2010, 12:38 PM
It's the Tamil version of 'Namaste". I use it because tamil version of Saivism is what I'm familiar with, although I'm not Tamil.

Aum Namasivaya
OK, thanks.

Ramakrishna
16 June 2010, 12:40 AM
Namaste Storm, and welcome to HDF. I hope you learn a lot here about Sanatana Dharma.

Jai Sri Krishna

Shanti
16 June 2010, 11:58 AM
Welcome Storm! :)

Odion
17 June 2010, 06:11 AM
Belated welcome Storm! (Net went again :D)
Nice to have you here! :)

Eastern Mind
17 June 2010, 07:16 AM
Also, while I want to learn and understand all the names of God (impossible as that may be), Hinduism is especially intriguing.

Vannakkam Storm,

Do you realise that almost all Hindu deities have 1008 names, and there would be variations on the lists from place to place? My favorite long name of Ganapati is Sailendratanujotsukamanasaya. At one time I had 108 memorised.

But if you're serious, you can search for the lists on line. They're all available. Not sure if English translations are though.

Aum Namasivaya

Storm
17 June 2010, 09:46 AM
Vannakkam Storm,

Do you realise that almost all Hindu deities have 1008 names, and there would be variations on the lists from place to place? My favorite long name of Ganapati is Sailendratanujotsukamanasaya. At one time I had 108 memorised.

But if you're serious, you can search for the lists on line. They're all available. Not sure if English translations are though.

Aum Namasivaya
1) I was speaking figuratively, meaning I want to learn about all the various religious traditions humanity has created, all the understandings of God we have come to. :)

2) I noted that that's an impossible goal, myself. I may not know much about Hinduism right now, but I DO know I could probably spend a lifetime studying and never finish. And that's just Hinduism.

I'm well aware that my ambition is greater than my capacity. I just don't let it stop me trying. :D

*fights urge to post a video of "The Impossible Dream"*

Storm
27 June 2010, 09:21 AM
In case anyone's wondering where I've gotten to, I picked up a copy of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Hinduism. Hopefully I'll be back with at least slightly less ignorant questions. :)

Onkara
27 June 2010, 09:26 AM
In case anyone's wondering where I've gotten to, I picked up a copy of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Hinduism. Hopefully I'll be back with at least slightly less ignorant questions. :)

I prefer ignorant questions, I at least might have a chance of provding an answer :D
Seriously, I think you should ask what you feel inclined, and don't hold back...

Do let us know if the book is helpful, I haven't read it.

Storm
27 June 2010, 09:30 AM
I prefer ignorant questions, I at least might have a chance of provding an answer :D
Hee.

Seriously, I think you should ask what you feel inclined, and don't hold back...
Will do. Everyone here is so kind!

Do let us know if the book is helpful, I haven't read it.
Well, I have a very dear friend who, while not Hindu herself, was raised in an ashram. She said it was "not bad," so I figured it would at least be an adequate starting point.

Eastern Mind
27 June 2010, 09:50 AM
Well, I have a very dear friend who, while not Hindu herself, was raised in an ashram. She said it was "not bad," so I figured it would at least be an adequate starting point.

Vannakkam Storm: I find this comment curious. Was it a 'yoga' ashram? Since the term ashram I believe has Hindu roots or is Sanskrit, it sounds like it could have been a Hindu ashram, but she didn't know it. For a longer book that introduces Hinduism, I would recommend Subramuniyaswami's Dancing With Siva. Check out some of the reviews on Amazon, and you'll get the picture. Of course, I have a bias there.

Aum Namasivaya

Storm
27 June 2010, 10:16 AM
Vannakkam Storm: I find this comment curious. Was it a 'yoga' ashram? Since the term ashram I believe has Hindu roots or is Sanskrit, it sounds like it could have been a Hindu ashram, but she didn't know it.
It was Hindu ashram, and she did know it. :) She's just not Hindu, and as far as I know, neither are her parents. I'm not quite clear on why they lived in an ashram, myself, but I can ask her about if you like.

Is a yoga ashram something different?

For a longer book that introduces Hinduism, I would recommend Subramuniyaswami's Dancing With Siva. Check out some of the reviews on Amazon, and you'll get the picture. Of course, I have a bias there.

Aum Namasivaya
Thank you for the recommendation. Once I have money again, I'll pick that one up. I think I saw it when I was looking for the Idiot's Guide.

Eastern Mind
27 June 2010, 10:20 AM
Vannakkam again: Oh I'm sorry for the misunderstanding about the ashram. It is curious though as to why a non-Hindu would be living in a Hindu ashram.

Aum Namasivaya

Storm
27 June 2010, 10:24 AM
It is curious. I think I'll ask her more about it today.

Ramakrishna
27 June 2010, 05:31 PM
Namaste Storm,

Going off of what Eastern Mind said, I would recommend the book "What is Hinduism? More Adventures into a Profound Global Faith", by the editors of Hinduism Today Magazine. You can download this book as well as "Dancing with Siva" and many other books from the Himalayan Academy website at http://himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/
Try to check them out sometime. They are really great resources for both new and experienced Hindus.

Jai Sri Krishna

Storm
27 June 2010, 07:04 PM
What a wonderful resource! Thank you so much!

Storm
28 June 2010, 08:47 AM
Vannakkam again: Oh I'm sorry for the misunderstanding about the ashram. It is curious though as to why a non-Hindu would be living in a Hindu ashram.

Aum Namasivaya
OK, so I asked and she said it was "more of a yogic ashram" with a "buffet style" spirituality. So, I was wrong on that, sorry.