PDA

View Full Version : hello

himavatputridasa
15 June 2010, 10:50 AM
Pranaams to everyone,

My name is Patrick.
I am Australian, and live in Sydney, a doctor by profession.
I have been interested in sanaatanadharma for more than 20 years.
I hope to learn a bit more here -- I can see the forum has people from many different paths in sanataanadharma.
Otherwise I am interested in sciece (physics) and maths.

svasti vo .stu

Eastern Mind
15 June 2010, 08:22 PM
Vannakam himavat:

Welcome to HDF. I hope your stay is fruitful. Seems to be a lot of Australians here lately.

Aum Namasivaya

yajvan
15 June 2010, 09:14 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté himavatputrīdāsaḥ ( your name in devanāgharī if I have it correct is हिमवत्पुत्रीदासः )

Welcome to the halls of HDF. A most robust name I may say: himavat + putri +dasa

himavat is himālaya + putri or putrī is a son or child + dasaš - I am sure you mean dāsa or dāsaḥ ? yes? meaning servant

Hence the son & servant of the himālaya-s

praṇām
1. dasa is defined as a demon. dāsa can also be certain beings conquered by indra i.e. namuci , pipru , śambara , varcin, etc.

Darji
15 June 2010, 09:39 PM
Seems to be a lot of Australians here lately.

Yes and Shaiva's as well. Might have to pack my vaishnava bags and seek higher ground :P

Jai Siyaram

BTW Welcome Doc!

NayaSurya
15 June 2010, 09:42 PM
That's a very beautiful name, welcome<3

isavasya
15 June 2010, 10:11 PM
Hello Himavatputridasa

Your name is very beautiful:), welcome to the forums.

Yajvan ji, just a little correction.
Himavat = king of mountains, himalayas, might be representing father of uma himavati (just father of her Uma's incarnation, she doesn't has any father as eternal adi parashakti)

putri= daughter

dasa = servant, devotee

so one meaning of name may be devotee of daughter of himalayas = Devotee of parvati devi, the eternal mother of this universe.

yajvan
15 June 2010, 10:51 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namast&#233; isavasya,

Yajvan ji, just a little correction.
Himavat = king of mountains, himalayas, might be representing father of uma himavati (just father of her Uma's incarnation, she doesn't has any father as eternal adi parashakti)

putri= daughter

dasa = servant, devotee

so one meaning of name may be devotee of daughter of himalayas = Devotee of parvati devi, the eternal mother of this universe.

Thank you for your offer... as I look and see the definition of himavat I see it defined as 'snowy mountain' , also as 'himālaya' , so we have a nice fit. It also is defined as 'having frost or snow' , and or 'being exposed to coldness or enduring it' . Yet I know of this Himavat you speak of and is offered in the mahābhārata or śiva puraṇa.

putrī is a son or child and also is a daughter when used in the feminine gender. Why did I pick son? himavatputrīdāsaḥ introduced himself as Patrick, so I chose the masculine gender for the word.

dāsa or dāsaḥ yes? meaning servant , devotee, we agree. Yet dasa without a long ā as found in dāsa is defined as 'demon'. This seems a bit unusual as 'dā ' in and of itself is a very positive word-sound. So where must this come? The 5th derivitive of 'da' is pain. It IMHO comes from this level. Yet if we look to 'das' again No long ā we get the definition of ' to suffer want' or 'to become exhausted'. So the 'demon' is that of desiring (want), being exhausted and/or experiencing pain.

A very robust word and the difference a long ā will make.

My resources for this is the M.Monier Williams Sanskrit Dictionary and encyclopedia both In paper and electronic versions 2006 and 2008.

That you again for the clarifications and help.

praṇām

Ramakrishna
16 June 2010, 12:36 AM
Namaste himavatputridasa, and welcome to HDF. I hope you learn a lot here.

Jai Sri Krishna

himavatputridasa
16 June 2010, 05:10 AM
Namas everyone,
thanks for the kind welcome!

And yes, 'Slave of Paarvatii or Umaa, Himavat's daughter'.

goodlife
16 June 2010, 05:17 AM
wow

that's an interesting user handle. may be the user himself can reveal what it means.

oh and btw welcme to the forums.

Shanti
16 June 2010, 12:00 PM
Welcome! :)

isavasya
16 June 2010, 05:37 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namast&#233; isavasya,

putrī is a son or child and also is a daughter when used in the feminine gender. Why did I pick son? himavatputrīdāsaḥ introduced himself as Patrick, so I chose the masculine gender for the word.

dāsa or dāsaḥ yes? meaning servant , devotee, we agree. Yet dasa without a long ā as found in dāsa is defined as 'demon'. This seems a bit unusual as 'dā ' in and of itself is a very positive word-sound. So where must this come? The 5th derivitive of 'da' is pain. It IMHO comes from this level. Yet if we look to 'das' again No long ā we get the definition of ' to suffer want' or 'to become exhausted'. So the 'demon' is that of desiring (want), being exhausted and/or experiencing pain.
praṇām

namaste yajvan ji,

Thanks so much for elaborating, there is so much learning in every post of yours:). Actually yes you are right about 'dasa' it can mean demon, today people do not pay much attention to spelling & phonetics, but what you said is 100&#37; right. I was not aware whether putrī can mean son also,in common usage in contemporary times the word putri पुत्री stands for daughter and putra पुत्र for son.

And yes, 'Slave of Paarvatii or Umaa, Himavat's daughter'.

Namaste himvatputridasa,

No body in this universe is slave of maa gauri, every one is her beloved child. :)

Odion
17 June 2010, 06:12 AM
Welcome to HDF! :)