PDA

View Full Version : Dream of the goddess Ganga?

David242
15 June 2010, 08:37 PM
Hello,

I had a dream the other night that I've had trouble interpreting, and was wondering if someone might be able to help?

In the dream, I was in a temple/shop sort of area. I was just about to leave when the owner of the temple, a middle-aged Northern Indian woman who gave off a goddess-like feel, came out of a back room and gave me three books on spiritual matters of some sort. She then proceeded to wrap one arm around me, kiss my forehead and tell me that she was "my new mother." She had a skinny looking husband standing behind her.

Not being a follower of Hinduism, I can't say for sure whether or not it was the goddess Ganga in my dream, but subsequent research has uncovered images of the goddess that very closely resemble the woman I dreamt about. Also, her husband resembles King Shantanu, thus leading me to my conclusion.

If any one more familiar with Hinduism would care to offer their thoughts/insights, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

NayaSurya
15 June 2010, 10:07 PM
I am a fool here, but dreams and things are my thing...:p

This is a wonderful dream because truly Mother Ganga, is Mother to all<3

Three is very important. The three books represent learning. But, I immediately think also of my mantra I recite over and over again all day.

Om Guru Brahma, Om Guru Visnu, Oh Guru Devo Maheshwara.

Creation, Preservation, Destruction or Return (Return is a lot more positive to me:P)

The three worlds, Bhu, Bhuvah, Swaha. Also of time....past, present future.

Three the braids on Beloved Siva's head, three eyes...the trident.

Such a lovely dream, surely it means very good things are to come to you in the form of learning.

Eastern Mind
15 June 2010, 10:11 PM
Vannakkam David:

Must be auspicious as you are already getting good answers.

Welcome to these forums , BTW.

Aum Namasivaya

sambya
16 June 2010, 02:37 AM
welcome david .

dreams have played an important part in hinduism since ages . countless temples have been constructed by the wealthy based on dreams alone . many noble and great works have also be undertaken after dreaming something . dreams reflect our subconscious and other hidden layers of mind which we cannot see otherwise .

when a man attains sufficient purity and his mind calms down , he can percieve the divine in his dreams .
here his own little conscious mind is feeling the universal consciousness .
but that happens to sadhaka after much sadhana , usually .
reflection of divine in dreams , is a mature phenomenon occuring in the highest stages of sadhana .

for the vast majority of others it is just a mental projection .
your subconscious wishes , desires and past experiences mould themselves to form a complex story which surfaces in such dreams . needless to say , they are not 'divine' .

therefore one has to certain whether the kind of dream he has experienced is really divine or just a mental projection . however the only person who can tell you this is someone who has already experienced god , or atleast have gone through those elementary stages . and such a soul is hard to come by .

so personally my opinion would be not to lay too much importance on dreams and other paranormal events and carry on with your life . if you are having an inclination to hinduism or want to realize god through the hindu way , feel free to do so . come into the new world and explore . if you are sincere , you yourself would find answer to all your querries .

best of luck . :)

David242
16 June 2010, 05:44 AM
Thank you for your replies and welcomes everyone, they are very much appreciated.

I was leaning towards subconcious projection, being the skeptic that I am, but upon reflection it did seem to contain some Hindu imagery, so I thought I might ask around. At first I thought the dream might just be about South East Asia, or the exotic in general, but when I was wandering around the library here the other day trying to find some kind of meaning to it, I spotted a travel book on Uttarakhand and felt everything click by a kind of intuition. " Mother Ganga, of course!" Then I found images linking her to the woman in my dream.

At the very least I feel charged to find out more about the Hindu way of life, which is a subject I haven't really looked into previously with any great seriousness.

Thank you again for your time and kind words everyone.

shian
17 June 2010, 03:15 AM
Jai Gangga Maiya

Eastern Mind
17 June 2010, 07:08 AM
Thank you for your replies and welcomes everyone, they are very much appreciated.

I was leaning towards subconcious projection, being the skeptic that I am, but upon reflection it did seem to contain some Hindu imagery, so I thought I might ask around. At first I thought the dream might just be about South East Asia, or the exotic in general, but when I was wandering around the library here the other day trying to find some kind of meaning to it, I spotted a travel book on Uttarakhand and felt everything click by a kind of intuition. " Mother Ganga, of course!" Then I found images linking her to the woman in my dream.

At the very least I feel charged to find out more about the Hindu way of life, which is a subject I haven't really looked into previously with any great seriousness.

Thank you again for your time and kind words everyone.

Vannakkam: It would seem logical to me that its not subconscious projection as you indicated that you are totally unfamiliar with anything about Ganga. I suppose it would depend on how unfamiliar you are. Perhaps way back in some long-forgotten memory But still available in the subconscious), there was a story you read in school or something, but it doesn't sound like it. Another method is to analyse clarity of the dream, and when it occurred in your sleep. Mystical dreams tend to be pretty clear, and happen more often right before awakening, or just after one enters sleep. Best of luck figuring it all out.

My dear spouse's name is Ganga, so I dream about Ganga all the time.

Aum Namasivaya

NayaSurya
17 June 2010, 09:08 AM
This is a question of my lifetime. Which dreams are Divine, which are not?

I can never deny God, but He makes it easy most times. The dreams are far too clear and symbolic.

If I dream I'm at a party and a dog is the clown. I know this dream is something my mind has conjured up in recreation. But, let me tell you of a time many years ago before I understood my dreams were much more.

My Mother had died, and since that moment where she saw the golden sparkles on me I had begun to unlock many doors once closed to this very rigid thinker.

The gift, priceless to the creature I am now.

But, on this day, still clouded with doubt, I dreamed.

It was a dream that my Mother led me through the house silently holding me by nothing more than my elbow. She brought me to her bathroom...it was torn up..the beautiful flower covered wall paper tore from the wall.

Behind this was a mark...engraved into the very wall. The shape of a tree...the tree I climbed as a child in the front yard. It had an unusual chubby trunk which made it easy to navigate.

The dream so clear, I wrote it down and drew the tree in a book. A few weeks later my sister call and the dream immediately came back to me and I say...Oh! I dream of our home and Mother's bathroom being tore up and on the wall was the tree. I tell her that it is the tree from the front yard...and that it was literally engraved into the front wall. My Mother pointed to this tree in the dream and said nothing.

I tell my sister how clear it was...that my Mother was simply spirit. My sister got very upset. Because I was not talking to my stepfather who still lived in the home because he had an affair less than a month after my Mother's passing with a very very close, very very very much younger family friend, the best friend of my sister. So I could not bear to speak to him or visit. Or even speak of him.

She tell me that he had torn down my Mother's bathroom wall paper, tore the whole room up. Then...I began to cry very hard when she tell me that....the worse thing of all. See my Mother love nature, the birds...she was very compassionate. One thing on her deathbed she plead...to her husband. Please, promise me...you will always take care of the two trees in the yard, never cut down. My step father a hard man, angry...and kills things always. He want to cut trees down always.

But, on her death bed, he promise that he will never cut them down.

With tears in my eyes I hear the truth...the chubby trunked tree was cut down the same week of my dream.

It was a dream, of things which were happening...so clear that it was undeniable what it meant once the truth was known.

The mark engraved, as his promise....being ripped up.

Within a few months this memory went. I have a B12 defeciency which harms my memory. But, something about these dreams makes them fade very quickly. What the rational mind can not explain, it tries to cover with mundane.

This story was lost in time until this morning, upon waking I dropped my cell phone and found the dream book had fallen off the shelf. I picked it up and read this dream. I can not believe I had completely forgotten it.

But this is the way of the gross physical mind. It simply moves on away from such things.

From that innocent moment the dreams flow endlessly. It may be only two or three times a week I get such a dream. But everyone of them I now speak of immediately. I think once God knows he has our attention, and that we're paying attention, he picks up the pace.

If you have a dream such as this, write it down...it will help you many years from now.

What may seem completely silly, bathroom and a tree could bring another piece of the puzzle.

charlebs
01 September 2010, 11:13 AM
perhaps you are now under the guidance of a God.

I myself dreamed of Kalki, but I only saw his back as he flew through the sky on his white horse.
I take it as a big blessing! :)