PDA

View Full Version : 2012 [Hindu & Mayan]

Alise
16 June 2010, 04:20 AM
Namaste,

I'm really bad at understanding the Vedic calendar, so I try to search on google info. Obviously I don't know, if someone post this already & if it's in wrong forum, so let me know...

As you know Mayan calendar ends December 21, 2010, Also Kali yuga (Sanskrit yuga = age/epoch) in Vedic calendar ends the same day.

Here I quote from about.com Hinduism section:
We live in the Kali Yuga — in a world infested with impurities and vices. People possessing genial virtues are diminishing day by day. Floods and famine, war and crime, deceit and duplicity characterize this age. But, say the scriptures, final emancipation is possible only in this age.

This is actually very accurate, I read this (http://veda.harekrsna.cz/encyclopedia/kaliyuga.htm). Quoting part, which made me feel really weird...

But since the men of the Kali Age are full of greed, lust, gluttony, they will on that account neglect sadhana and will fall into sin, and having drunk much wine for the sake of the pleasure of the senses, will become mad with intoxication, and bereft of all notion of right and wrong (61). Some will violate the wives of others, others will become rogues, and some, in the indiscriminating rage of lust, will go (whoever she be) with any woman (62). Over eating and drinking will disease many and deprive them of strength and sense. Disordered by madness, they will meet death, falling into lakes, pits, or in impenetrable forests, or from hills or house-tops (63-64). While some will be as mute as corpses, others will be for ever on the chatter, and yet others will quarrel with their kinsmen and elders. They will be evil-doers, cruel, and the destroyers of Dharma (65-66). I fear, O Lord! that even that which Thou hast ordained for the good of men will through them turn out for evil (67). O Lord of the World! who will practise Yoga or Nyasa, who will sing the hymns and draw the Yantra and make Purashcharana? (68). Under the influences of the Kali Age man will of his nature become indeed wicked and bound to all manner of sin (69). (M.t. 1.61-69)

Next, since Mayan calendar ends, people think this is gonna be end of the world. But I was really surprised to read in about.com Hinduism section (direct link here (http://hinduism.about.com/od/basics/a/fouryugas.htm)) this:

What Happens Next?
It is predicted that at the end of the Kali Yuga, Lord Shiva shall destroy the universe and all the physical body would undergo a great transformation. After such dissolution, Lord Brahma would recreate the universe and mankind will become the 'Beings of Truth' once again.

I feel really strange & I would really be much happier to know that I misuderstood something than to know that 2 ancient cultures predict the end... I would really like your opinion on this.

Have a nice day,
~Alice

Madhuri
16 June 2010, 04:48 AM
I think the idea of the world ending in 2012 is nonsense. Firstly, even Mayan people remianing today do not believe their calander indicated an end of world scenario. It signified a new era, to them. Why should a Hindu trust a Mayan calender anyway?

And also, it is generally understood that Kali yuga is many thousands of years in duration. I would like to see some good argument as to why Kali Yuga is supposed to end in 2012.

Eastern Mind
16 June 2010, 07:45 AM
Vannakkam:

The 'end of the world' syndrome has been around for a long time. Remember Comet Kahoutekh (sp), or the beginning of the new century when all the computers were going to crash? Countless other doomsday predictions have come and gone. The cynic in me is that it is a Christian invented syndrome to put more fear into the minds of the gullible ones so they take Christ as their saviour before the 'end'. Another silly ploy.

It is far more rational to think that if there is some sort of natural disaster that there could be a shrinking in earth's population, but total wipeout? That's a little far out, I think.

I have a flight booked for India on December 25th. Something tells me I'll be getting on it.

Aum Namasivaya

Darji
16 June 2010, 08:11 AM
in 999ce the catholic church was preaching that Jesus was to return in 1000 ce

1010 years later we are still here, and no Jesus, just his nut job followers still preaching the rapture is at hand. You have to love your local death worshiping apocalyptical cult for tenacity lol

Alise
16 June 2010, 08:50 AM
Namaste,

I don't believe in end of the world, but I do believe something will happen...

It's just really strange how 2 ancient civilizatiions living in 2 different places ends their calendar circle in same time.

I know about 'end of the world', that was the reason why my younger sister is baptized at orthodox church instead of catholic like my mom and older sister. Orthodox church just could allow it faster, others had higher requirements...

But don't you think it's weird that the age of Kali is like it was written about time ago?

Have a nice day,
~Alice

P.S. Of course, I can't really argue with you. Almost everyone here is older and smarter than me.

Eastern Mind
16 June 2010, 08:57 AM
P.S. Of course, I can't really argue with you. Almost everyone here is older and smarter than me.

Vannakkam SA:

Chronological age has little to do with it. You have as much to offer as anyone else, perhaps more, because you haven't had as much conditioning, and your subconscious mind won't have hardened into patterns as much as the grumpy old men like me.

Many of the greatest saints of India like child Tamil Nayanar Saint Sambandar attained mahasamadhi at young ages.

Please don't devalue your observations based on that single criteria.

Aum Namasivaya

NayaSurya
16 June 2010, 08:57 AM
At first I was as you all believe, I didn't believe in the end of the world.

The christian groups always have some sort of fear thing going with this claiming jesus is on his way. This always made me laugh.

When I was very little the mormons took me out of my pretty Sunday school class and put me in a private group just for some of these comments. I asked. "jesus says the end will come like a thief in the night when no one expects...but with all of these crazy religions constantly saying it's here....how could that ever happen?"

For some reason this conversation unsettled them a lot, even from a child.

Would it surprise you all to know that lastnight, in the middle of the night, my husband and I just had this exact conversation.

Sometimes, I come on here and see my exact words being used and I am floored.

The Mayans used to take a thorny vine and run it through the genitals of their king...it was a very very harsh civilization.

So everytime some person use to bring up the "hoogety boogety" end of the world this girl would laugh.

"Isn't it just s'posed to roll over?" I would say and everyone would then hear about the thorny vines...and so it goes.

But, then I realized that two separate cultures with no contact(at least I can't find any) have made the same date as a roll over point.

My husband and I were married on Winter Solstice in the snow...I wore red...very beautiful. The Solstice is the roll over point for the whole year...isn't it appropriate it would be the roll over for the generations?

So here's the fools opinion now that I have thought about this countless years.

I think we are heading for a new era. Why on earth would Siva bring so many people such as myself back to the truth and not have a reason?

I believe there must be...why would he bring us this far for no end?

Perhaps it's just a Mother having very unsettling things happening and trying to make some sense of it. But it's the only thing that gives me comfort. Because so many anglos from every corner of the world are coming to this same place...without any seeming reasons.

If the world ends tomorrow, my family and I would celebrate at the foot of God.

If it doesn't...then we work to find a way to serve Him at the feet until we are removed from our vessel.

But, I no longer can believe these two cultures made the same convenient roll over date without a purpose. Perhaps, some of our more numbers inclined folks could shed some light on why two cultures have such a common thing, without knowing each other?

Perhaps it has to do with how difficult the math was for the Mayans once it reached a certain point?

If someone could explain it rationally, I would accept it. But, until then, I don't see 2012 as the end, it's truly the begining.

May Siva allow all of us to see that day.

As far as getting on a plane, I can't see any better place to ring in the New Year than in the arms of Mother India.

NayaSurya
16 June 2010, 09:02 AM
Honestly, that this conversation happened today after such an intensive conversation lastnight...I take it as just another breadcrumb...on the trail of this journey.

I'm still over here floored by it.

Madhuri
16 June 2010, 10:33 AM
Nayasurya, do you feel very confident that Veda points to 2012? I am curious to know why because the generally accepted date is many thousands of years from now. I think that a few people around the globe have tried to adjust their views to match this 2012 for whatever reason. But is it valid?

By the way, the Mayans may have come from Vedic/Indian background. I remember reading something about it and should look into it again.

NayaSurya
16 June 2010, 10:56 AM
This is where the topic of the end date of Kali Yuga is discussed.<3

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=5360

SethDrebitko
16 June 2010, 12:41 PM
I am going to go with possible coincidence. When you think about it out of hundreds, and hundreds of of societies who all predicted things about the future 2 of them landing on he same year is not that coincidental. On top of that the calendar ending on a certain date is not that much of an omen when you think about it. I mean we make our calendars for 1 year in advance so the fact that they continued it on so long in advance is pretty amazing.

Not saying there isn't something to it possibly, just that it takes allot of assumptions built on assumptions to get to end of the world.

yajvan
16 June 2010, 05:43 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~~

namast&#233;

My assessment ( & I could be wrong):

What happens when the week ends on śani vāsara ( the day vāsara owned by śani or saturday) ? A new week begins and we begin with ravi vāsara ( the day owned by ravi the sun or sun-day) and begin a new week.

What happens when soma ( the moon) ends in rēvati nakṣatra (asterism or constellation) ? The moon once again begins in aśvinī.

And what of a saṃvat ( year) ? It begins again and a new year starts.

So, the Mayan calendar ends December 21, 2012 - would not a new calendar period begin? Seems reasonable to me.

praṇām

sunyata07
13 August 2010, 04:01 PM
I don't believe in end of the world, but I do believe something will happen...

Namaste everyone,

My apologies for the late contribution, but I have been thinking about this "armageddon" date for a while now. A good friend of mine (a devout Christian) is also convinced it may mean the actual end of the world, but I hadn't the heart to argue with her how silly that sounds. In my opinion, I don't think it's so much the end of the world on the physical state as it might suggest the end of a way of thinking (for the better possibly?), and indirectly, the way in which the world exists now. But maybe I'm being a bit too optimistic?

OM Shanti

Kumar_Das
13 August 2010, 04:07 PM
Namaste,

I'm really bad at understanding the Vedic calendar, so I try to search on google info. Obviously I don't know, if someone post this already & if it's in wrong forum, so let me know...

As you know Mayan calendar ends December 21, 2010, Also Kali yuga (Sanskrit yuga = age/epoch) in Vedic calendar ends the same day.

What? No, it doesnt lol.

Rasa1976
14 August 2010, 07:02 PM
Namaste everyone,

My apologies for the late contribution, but I have been thinking about this "armageddon" date for a while now. A good friend of mine (a devout Christian) is also convinced it may mean the actual end of the world, but I hadn't the heart to argue with her how silly that sounds.OM Shanti

I'd been thinking about it as well. The movie 2012 with John Cusack and Danny Glover was silly enough to make me believe it won't happen.

kallol
15 August 2010, 06:44 AM
If we move to macro science of the inter-relations between us, the trees, the animals and the earth, the bigger picture will come out.

Take this system of Earth, animals, trees and humans as one system. human out of greed, vice like mind (at individual, society and country level) have been destroying the ecosystem equilibrium by may means.

This has been pronounced in the kali yuga. As this reaches peak, the system reacts to bring in balance and set to the new equilibrium. It will react in such a way so as to oppose the causes of change.

Which we are begining to witness with sporadic change in climate and geological upheals.

The reaction time varies with the different levels of ecology. For earth it takes 100s of years to react. For us a little. For plants some where in between.

Now what the next equillibrium be ? how will it affect the human race.

Generally there will be several shrinkage of the number over a period, which will again bring in some parity of resource availibility and demand.

It can be that the orientation towards aligning the mind with nature will also bring in a reduction to the reaction from earth.

Now this is macro ecological science which is what has been depicted by vedic knowledge.

Love and best wishes