PDA

View Full Version : Astrology and Varnas?

Alise
17 June 2010, 12:22 PM
Namaste,

I joined one vedic astrology site to know moon sign etc. I got every information I needed (information actually was a lot), but then I saw word varna [sanskrit - class] Bramhin (mispelling of Brahmin?). And I'd like to know can astrology tell which varna you belong to or the word varna is used as something else in astrology?

And I have another question about astrology: Is sun sign in Vedic astrology usually like western astrology sun sign? Is it possible that sun signs are equal or different?

Have a nice day,
~Alice

NayaSurya
17 June 2010, 05:31 PM
"I joined one vedic astrology site to know moon sign etc. I got every information I needed (information actually was a lot), but then I saw word varna [sanskrit - class] Bramhin (mispelling of Brahmin?). And I'd like to know can astrology tell which varna you belong to or the word varna is used as something else in astrology?

And I have another question about astrology: Is sun sign in Vedic astrology usually like western astrology sun sign? Is it possible that sun signs are equal or different?"

lol this post helped me so much. See I wanted to post a link to show you how to do this. When I do this I realized that I had read mine wrong.

http://mokshaastrology.blogspot.com/2009/04/varna-refers-to-caste.html

The word varna is the same one you know.

As for the sun sign, it should be the same in both Western and Vedic natal charts.

My moon is Cancer/Karka- Pushya
My sun is Leo/Simha- Magha

In the West they are more interested in the Sun sign where as in the East the Moon is used.

I will give you a heads up, that some of the sites do not do the right calculations sometimes. Mine was wayyy off until I downloaded the free program in my post about Jagannatha Hora.

It actually did the calculations for me but also calculated them base on my birth in the West during daylight savings time. So mine was way off every time I had used those other sites.

My husband alerted me to this when he put in his info and his sun sign did not match up to his known sign. This was one sure fire way to tell if it's not doing it correctly.

Good luck<3

yajvan
17 June 2010, 06:28 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté nayasurua

As for the sun sign, it should be the same in both Western and Vedic natal charts.

This needs to be revisited. Western view will not = Jyotish when it comes to the sun's position. Why so? ayana - advancing or precession of the equinoctial and solstitial points.

sāyan system - proceeding in the way of ayana ; with the precession or the longitude of a planet calculated from the vernal equinoctial point
nir-ayan system - nir = not + ayan = precession i.e. without consideration of precession of the equinoxes.One system is tropical and considered Western astrology , the other is sidereal ( based upon the star locations and points) and is considered the jyotish approach.

Precession calculations influence here. Western and Jyotish calculation for sun will be different by ~ 23º (+/-) and hence different signs more often then not.

praṇām

NayaSurya
17 June 2010, 06:49 PM
Ahh I stand corrected. That is very very interesting to know. Thank you so much for your wisdom and correction<3

So the Sun sign is not always the same between these two types of Natal Charts.

My sign is the same in both, I suppose it was wrong to assume this as it obviously isn't always so.

I am a writer and today I have spent the day working on the second book. About an hour ago in my book, A baby was born and I chose the name Ayanna which is innocent.

I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw you use this word which is very similar...Ayana.

Just so folks don't think I was being silly. Mine is really the same:P

Mahalaya's Chart
Date: August 19, 1971
Time: 5:22:00
Time Zone: 4:00:00 (West of GMT)
Place: 82 W 38' 17", 38 N 28' 42"
Ashland, Kentucky, USA
Altitude: 558.00 meters
Lunar Yr-Mo: Virodha-krit - Sravana
Tithi: Krishna Chaturdasi (Ve) (47.74&#37; left)
Vedic Weekday: Wednesday (Me)
Nakshatra: Pushyami (Sa) (15.79% left)
Yoga: Variyan (Ju) (98.60% left)
Karana: Sakuna (Mo) (95.49% left)
Hora Lord: Moon (5 min sign: Sg)
Mahakala Hora: Mercury (5 min sign: Ar)
Kaala Lord: Saturn (Mahakala: Moon)
Sunrise: 6:51:22 (August 18)
Sunset: 20:16:51 (August 18)
Janma Ghatis: 56.2762
Ayanamsa: 23-27-38.81
Sidereal Time: 1:39:46

Body Longitude Nakshatra Pada Rasi Navamsa
Lagna 14 Cn 19' 44.21" Push 4 Cn Sc
Sun - DK 2 Le 17' 27.55" Magh 1 Le Ar
Moon - MK 14 Cn 33' 42.75" Push 4 Cn Sc
Mars (R) - AmK 21 Cp 11' 57.69" Srav 4 Cp Cn
Mercury (R) - BK 15 Le 06' 02.81" PPha 1 Le Le
Jupiter - GK 4 Sc 06' 41.11" Anu 1 Sc Le
Venus - AK 29 Cn 59' 40.99" Asre 4 Cn Pi
Saturn - PiK 12 Ta 13' 39.68" Rohi 1 Ta Ar
Rahu - PK 20 Cp 17' 47.95" Srav 4 Cp Cn
Ketu 20 Cn 17' 47.95" Asre 2 Cn Cp

yajvan
17 June 2010, 08:17 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté nayasurya

Let's take an example of difference in positioning of the sun:

Date: June 15, 2010
Time: 1:00:00 am
Sun entered Gemini 0 Ge 00' using Jyotish calculations ; sidereal ( based upon the star locations and points) and is considered the jyotish approach.

If we look to Western calculations on this same day the Sun is calculated at 24º 01' Gemini and is the tropical calculation. From the 'Wests' view the sun entered Gemini around May 21st and will remain there till ~ June 21st.

Also mentioned,

In the West they are more interested in the Sun sign where as in the East the Moon is used.

Yes, this can be true, yet jyotish has the highest respect for the sun.
Why so ? it is the natural atma-kārakā. Now moon ( soma) is of great import, but moon does not 'eclipse' the sun in importance.

Some times people consider candra as caṇḍī (chandi or caNDi) चण्डि. This caṇḍī is defined as a passionate woman; also a female attendant of durgā (some call umā).
Yet can चन् ( recall 'ca' is pronounced 'cha') is rooted in 'kan' which means to shine, as this brings up back to candra चन्द्र- glittering, shining. Yet this 'kan' also means to please, delight, to enjoy and to be satisfied with.
The moon is associated with mother , the one who delights, nurtures, pleases. And the moon is associated with mind and emotions that looks to be delighted and become pleased.
Sun or sūrya सूर्य
sūra is the sun. If we consider it as sūra+ ya it is the sun (sūra) + mover (ya). This su means excellent , right , virtuous , beautiful , easy , well , rightly , much , greatly , easily , willingly , quickly. It also means 'su' means to go, move, but also means to possess supremacy, as the Sun is Supreme almost the graha-s.

Yet what of sū सू? It means to grant or bestow. What is on this earth that is not bestowed by the sun?
Both together are the luminaries. In the West the moon may be of less import, but I am not the western expert.

praṇām

NayaSurya
17 June 2010, 08:29 PM
Yes, the sun is most important in the West. Had it not been that I did western charts for years I would not have known my moon sign at all.

lol silly story: When I was 7 I had this wonderful pair of pajamas that had the Leo on it. It had matching underclothes. This is very common where I live to have sleep clothes or tee shirts with the sun sign.:p

If you go to grocery here they have little scrolls of information solely based on sunsign.

Honestly, the west takes a few weeks to master. But Sidereal...it's a whole new world. It is my opinion that it is far more indepth and true to a person's birth.

Thank you again for providing us all this information. This is a vast sea I cross.

Alise
18 June 2010, 11:02 AM
Namaste,

So I read that if you're born within 5 days until end of that one western zodiac sign, your vedic sun sign is same as your western one.

So by the moon sign I'm scorpio. Does that make me Brahmin?
Or is this by vedic sun sign? I'm aquarius in vedic sun and pisces in western.

I search about vedic astrology and some sites don't say if the info is about moon or sun sign. But if that's indian astrology site, it's always about moon sign (if not stated otherwise)?

NayaSurya, Western astrology is really easy, but vedic is not... I wish I would have always learned vedic astrology instead of western...

Have a nice day,
~Alice

NayaSurya
19 June 2010, 10:48 AM
I agree wholey...and as for learning Sideral instead of western...also very much agree.<3

Sahasranama
19 June 2010, 11:29 AM
So if you are a guy and have a brahmin sign, you can marry any chick and if you are a chick with a shudra sign, you can marry any guy.

yajvan
20 June 2010, 02:38 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

One place one can look regarding varṇa is the nakṣatra-s¹ and their divisions ( pada), the 6th house ( service) and the 10th house (career).

It is my humble opinon that most excelled jyotisha is the one that knows the influences of the nakṣatra-s and the planets that frequent these 108 ( 27 x 4 = 108) locations.

praṇām

1. nakṣatra an asterism or constellation through which the moon passes , a lunar mansion