PDA

View Full Version : Something I've always wondered about Kali Yuga...

Riverwolf
17 June 2010, 03:22 PM
Why are the names of the Dark Age (Kali Yuga) the same as one of the names for the Great Mother (Kali)? That's always confused me.

Odion
17 June 2010, 05:44 PM
Kālī is the Great Mother. Sanskrit: काली (from root: kaala: "time")
Kali is the Demon-Thing. Sanskrit: कलि (from root kad: "suffer")

Kali Yuga is: कलियुग Kaliyuga, it doesn't have the long i or a. :)

Riverwolf
17 June 2010, 06:09 PM
Kālī is the Great Mother. Sanskrit: काली (from root: kaala: "time")
Kali is the Demon-Thing. Sanskrit: कलि (from root kad: "suffer")

Kali Yuga is: कलियुग Kaliyuga, it doesn't have the long i or a. :)

So Kaa-lee is the Great Mother, and Kuh-lih is the Demon?

yajvan
17 June 2010, 09:23 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

If I may, I'd like to offer the following for one's consideration.

kali is rooted in kal and is a name of the die or side of a die ( dice) marked with one dot , the losing die . The implication? Kali is that yuga with 1 leg of dharma remaining.

kali is also another name for strife , discord , quarrel , contention. Personified as the son of krodha or 'anger' and hiṃsā 'injury' , and generating with his sister durukti , 'calumny' to which children are born - bhaya , 'fear' and mṛtyu , 'death' . (a happy family eh? )

Lets look at kālī - when used in its masculine gender it is black, dark color, dark-blue . We see Mother kālī defined as durgā (durgatināśinī), and she ( as kālī ) is always shown as black or dark blue.

I am fond of looking at kālī in this manner: kā+ lī

kā = to seek , desire , yearn , love +
lī to melt , liquefy , dissolve .
Hence we can look to 'Mother' as we yearn, seek and melt in Her love.It interesting (to me at least) that kālī-ma's bījā (seed) sound/vibration is kṛṃ कृं (the sound kreem) and Śrī Kṛṣṇa's bījā sound/vibration is klīṃ क्लीं ( the sound kleem). I find the similarities uncanny and thought to just all it out.

But there is more ...
Another view also of kāla - which again is black, dark color, dark-blue. looking to the 3rd derivative this kāla is rooted in kal , 'to calculate or enumerate ' a fixed or right point of time, a space of time , time (in general). And kalā is a digit or one-sixteenth of the moon's diameter.

This kalā in jyotish is a minute of a degree. In kaśmir śaivism the definition of kalā is actively used as creativity as it comes from the definition of 'skill , ingenuity' and 'any fine art'.

praṇām

If interested a bit more can be found here on HDF: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3226&highlight=Mother+Divine (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3226&highlight=Mother+Divine)

Riverwolf
17 June 2010, 09:50 PM
Thanks!

Odion
18 June 2010, 02:21 AM
So Kaa-lee is the Great Mother, and Kuh-lih is the Demon?
Yep, exactly that. It can be pretty confusing. :D