PDA

View Full Version : Yama 6 - Dhriti, Steadfastness

Eastern Mind
19 June 2010, 09:34 AM
YAMA 6 — Dhriti, Steadfastness

" Foster steadfastness, overcoming nonperseverance, fear, indecision and changeableness. Achieve your goals with a prayer, purpose, plan, persistence and push. Be firm in your decisions. Avoid sloth and procrastination. Develop willpower, courage and industriousness. Overcome obstacles. Never carp or complain. Do not let opposition or fear of failure result in changing strategies. "

I recall watching a pair of woodpeckers feed their young this spring. Talk about perseverance! Especially in the morning as the sun was rising. Back and forth, back and forth, only one goal - feed those youngsters. Its amazing what can be accomplished with perseverance over many days. Great paintings, great architecture, great literature are all outcomes of somebody's ability to persevere. At school, it the teacher asked for a 1000 word essay by the end of the week, we were all appalled. But some of the greatest novels ever written are 500 000 words! That's 500 weeks to the whiner. (An apt word for my mindset in high school)

Aum Namasivaya

NayaSurya
19 June 2010, 05:57 PM
I know of this. I feed 9 other people every single day much like those woodpeckers.

Sometimes I feel like a bird.:P

It's very true, almost every wonderful thing a human vessel can create takes much work and perseverance.