PDA

View Full Version : Do you pray for family? How?

SethDrebitko
19 June 2010, 10:55 PM
My grandmother was diagnosed with cancer and is in the hospital. When I was once christian long ago I would have prayed for her well being. I personally have the feeling that what ever happens will make no difference. Regardless she will always be with or about me. My question is: is there a ritual/prayer one would say for the well being of a loved one?

I imagine this would be more of an informal thing but thought I would see.

sanjaya
20 June 2010, 01:02 PM
My grandmother was diagnosed with cancer and is in the hospital. When I was once christian long ago I would have prayed for her well being. I personally have the feeling that what ever happens will make no difference. Regardless she will always be with or about me. My question is: is there a ritual/prayer one would say for the well being of a loved one?

I imagine this would be more of an informal thing but thought I would see.

This probably is no expert opinion. But I know that sometimes, people will do the Satyanarayana Puja for their families. I have a friend whose mother just did this for him shortly after he left on a month-long trip back to India. Doing Satyanarayana Puja certainly never hurts. Its rewards include blessings in this life, and salvation in the next.

Hindus aren't so much known for audible prayer. For example, you're not going to find us getting in circles and verbally repeating prayers for everyone else to hear. But we do pray for each other, and there's nothing stopping you from doing this. Others here on this board can pray for your grandmother too. I will do so.

Eastern Mind
20 June 2010, 03:08 PM
Vannakkam seth:

Some Hindus also commonly purchase pujas like archanas for ill family.The priest will recite the person's name in front of the deity while praying.

Aum Namasivaya

SethDrebitko
20 June 2010, 03:51 PM
Thank you both. I always thought a puja was only to show respect for the God and reverence not a general form of prayer.

Eastern Mind
20 June 2010, 05:51 PM
Vannakkam Seth:

Different people will give different interpretations, as you know. In my personal mystical tradition, a puja decreases the barriers between our plane and Siva's plane, so it is an excellent time to pray. A puja is done to call upon Siva or Ganesha. It's like saying directly, "Come closer to me," or a beckoning call. So from that point of view, it is the best time to mentally pray. Most Hindus in this tradition will have it very clear in their heads what they are praying for, and it won't just be some general thing. If you observe the individual devotee standing in front of a temple murthy, you may glimpse their mouths uttering exact words. From that, occasionally prayers are answered so dramatically or directly that the devotee gets unconditional faith in the power of the deity.

Aum Namasivaya

devotee
20 June 2010, 11:02 PM
Dear Seth,

Hindus pray in different ways to God & there is no fixed formula. You can do either of these :

a) Simply recite name of your chosen Ishta Devata and keep praying for her well-being.
b) Sit down in Puja. Repeat some mantra concentrating on form of God & Mantra for say, 10 x 108 times. Keep a little water in some pot & end the end of every 108th mantra breath out with your mouth (covering the water with your hand) towards the pot to transfer the accumulated spiritual energy to water. All the time keep praying to God that it should alleviate her sufferings. You may give this water to her for drinking.
c) Fast for a day for her well being and complete the fast with puja meant for well-being of your Grandmother. The punya accrued by fasting should be offered to Grandmother. You can give the prasadam to her for eating if she can eat.
d) You can also read a chapter of Bhagwad Gita ( I would recommend chapter-12) for a few times ... may be three or five and transfer this accumulated spiritual energy to water in a pot (after end of chapter every time) which can be given to her for drinking.

Note : If she is unable to drink or eat you may also transfer the spiritual energy by air blowing out towards her head through your mouth at the end of mantra japam or BG recital.

OM

sanjaya
20 June 2010, 11:56 PM
Thank you both. I always thought a puja was only to show respect for the God and reverence not a general form of prayer.

No problem. Be sure to give her the prasadam from the puja. I'm told this is accompanied by enormous spiritual (and temporal) benefit.

One can also pray to Lord Ganesha, who is the remover of barriers.

shian
21 June 2010, 08:09 PM
Greetings,

Namo Vairochani Baghavati Mahavidya Deviye

I do pray for my family Seth, everday.

many ways and so many mantras and name, different person will have different. This is the Grace of Lord who give us chance to choose a one name or mantra who can make us feel close.

Dont fell confused, the biggest power of name and mantra is one you most feel close and you can chant with deep devotion.

If you do not mind, please send my by private message , your grandma name and address or address and room number of hospital. I will do prayer to her and wrote her name and data in Homam (agni hotra) 's wood , wish Baghavati give her the most right way to her and give her light of peace in soul and body . All is absolutely free, i will do it form deep heart.

Thank you

SethDrebitko
22 June 2010, 11:29 AM
Thank you very much for all of your kind offerings of knowledge, I appreciate your patients with my lack of knowledge.