PDA

View Full Version : I found God in blank pages.

SethDrebitko
19 June 2010, 11:46 PM
So I am going to start a project to document my journey through Hinduism and wanted to keep a log here. I will be making a blog and writing about the following things.

Follow along my journey of learning about the faith as a whole.
Compile a series of documents to categories the basic tenants of the faith
Develop a series of reading guides to introduce people to hindu texts.
Learn and promote the growth of sanskrit as a second language for Hindus.

I will use this thread to try and keep people here abreast of the developments.

As far as how I came to Hinduism; I lost my christian faith many years ago and remained faithless for quite some time. I have always felt that all was connected through some divine oneness. Recently I have been exploring more faith based writing through some nagging desire, and have been leaning towards Hinduism.

As I studied religion for my writing I became very attached to Hinduism as a faith, and find its depths consume my daily thoughts. While I do not know much now my fiction writing has drawn me to this path and will certainly be a part of my journey.

Sorry if this does not interest people but I figured I would post here anyway.

Ramakrishna
21 June 2010, 06:14 PM
Namaste Seth,

What a great idea! I'm looking forward to reading your posts.

Jai Sri Krishna

Eastern Mind
21 June 2010, 06:22 PM
Vannakam Seth:

There was a member on here once that was chronicling his journey in a blog called "Western Hindu" . If you google that, you can still find his story. We are all different in the ways we come back to the source religion, and all stories are so special and unique.

Of course there are others who come and take a look for awhile, and finally decide its not for them. That also is good, as they then gain clarity of mind from the experience at least.

Aum Namasivaya

SethDrebitko
22 June 2010, 11:50 AM
Yea I am just waiting patiently on my host to update the servers so I can install my new wordpress.

SethDrebitko
24 June 2010, 01:00 PM
So I have everything server side set up with wordpress and thought since the new wordpress offers blog network abilities I might extend an offer. While I could just catalog my journey as a western hindu, I would be willing to host other peoples blogs about their walk towards oneness. Your blog would appear like [yourname].WestsideDharma.com, and would help to add some variety and different walks of life to the mix.

Anyway thought I would offer and will make sure to let you guys know when I put my first posts up!

SethDrebitko
26 June 2010, 12:12 AM
How does this theme (http://www.westsidedharma.com/) look to people? I kind of thought it mixed the elements together nicely. Also does the title and subtitle jive well?

First thing that I will hopefully get up is a bio so people know where I am coming from.

Ramakrishna
26 June 2010, 04:55 PM
How does this theme (http://www.westsidedharma.com/) look to people? I kind of thought it mixed the elements together nicely. Also does the title and subtitle jive well?

First thing that I will hopefully get up is a bio so people know where I am coming from.

Namaste Seth,

Everything looks great to me. I'm looking forward to the initial post.

Jai Sri Krishna

premeet01245
28 June 2010, 02:38 AM
good keep going on.

shubhamgarg1993
01 July 2010, 10:36 AM
i welcome to this and hope you find this sanatana dharma as the most basic relegion of world of which the all relegions emerged..

means christanity started with lord jesus birth.

means we know about allah - the lord when "muhammad" the prophet came

but this sanatana dharma ...

it started fromthe era the earth started and even before..

hinduism has no meaning its just a term coined by persians to relegion of people across hindukush.

its the sanatana dharma.....which we follow from the begining...

Darji
01 July 2010, 05:05 PM
I'm taking the plunge as well. As I am just starting my journey, no better time than now to start documenting it. I figured I might want to do it at a later date once I really get into the groove of being a bhakti, but by then it would be to late to really tell the story of the journey.

I know a couple of other have done this, such as Seth, WesternHindu and White Hindu, but each of these show a different path and I thought my Ramanandi Path would add some more diversity to the fold and give those called by Rama a starting point.

My problem is a name for the site, I could go with a cliché such as "Western Ramavat", something witty like "Marked by Kodanda" or something else altogether. I typically have a quick mind at naming things and projects but I guess the seriousness of the subject matter and realizing this will document my life as it was, is and will be has me second guessing. I wish my Sankrit was better to find that one perfect auspicious word that sums it all up without being pretentious. Any suggestions?

-Aashna_Namaste-
01 July 2010, 07:49 PM
Namaste SethDrebitko,
What a wondeful idea. I would love to be apart of it. I love to write, I'm a creative writer, plus i'm good with html stuff and graphic design, just the basics. Sadly I don't have photoshop or illestrator. Love the theme for your website. l look foward to reading your first post and to get involved with it.

-May The Gods Bless You-

SethDrebitko
02 July 2010, 11:56 AM
Well if any other western hindus are interested I can always set you up as an author. We could make it so that there are normal categories and then author categories. You just pick the category that applies and then remember to also apply your name as a category as well. This way if people want to see all of what one person is saying they need only filter via that persons name.

I would try to have anyone doing this though post at least 1's a month, and also try to limit the total number of people.

Sorry things are taking so long a big issue is that I have some writing that I am doing for actual work so that is a bit important for me to get stitched up.

Darji
07 July 2010, 08:32 PM
Hiya, I started my blog here http://bala-kanda.blogspot.com/

I though about taking you up on your offer Seth, but as this is your own server/ site I was afraid should anything happen to you or the site the blog could just go away. I appreciate the offer though.

anupj
08 July 2010, 08:08 AM
Namaste,
Seth, good idea and i look forward towards your work on the site.

Darji, i would suggest that you work with seth. I say that because right from this moment the site gets two people working on it. it will help in increasing the material on the site, and help in optimizing for search engines. IMHO working together is lot better than working alone.

Pranam

Darji
08 July 2010, 10:08 AM
It's a good idea, but I had two worries which finally moved my dicission towards having my own.

First, It's sets own server/ site, which is not a bad thing, I wish I had my own. My concerns are "What if Seth gets gets bored, moves on, or out of the blue passes from this earth (sorry but things happen) and then the work suddenly disappears.

My second concern was by offering several POV's on one site would lead to confusion for those just starting on their path. As a Ramanandi, which is Vaishnava and a Bhakti reform of Sri Vaishnavism, has different views about Bhagavan, holy scriptures and how sewa to the lord and gurus is performed. Then you add in perhaps another Vaishnav writer, perhaps of a Krishna centric nature which will show the diversity, but might also throw off the student. Compound matters more by adding a Shaiva POV and wow talk about confusing.

How is the student to discern between them? One writer says God is Rama in his personal form, an Avatara of Vishnu, who in himself is the manifestation of Brahman, who may or may not be the Absolute form of Rama. With this most important lay texts being the Ramayana of Tulsidas and the Adhyatma Ramayana which is a part of the Brahmanda Purana.

Then another writer, says God is Krishna in his personal form, an Avatara of Vishnu, who in himself is the manifestation of Brahman, who IS the Absolute form of Krishna. With this most important lay texts being the Gita.

Both of the above recognize the avataras of Vishnu and the divinity of Shiva, but Shiva is the servant of Vishnu and worshiped as the ideal Vaishnava.

THEN you got the Shivite, who says NO Siva is the eternal and only and all god bow to him etc. etc. with their own text to confirm this.

Where is this going to leave the person who has an interest but want to learn a little more before plunging in? I know this would confuse the hell out of me. In fact trying to compare Sampradaya to Sampradaya did confuse me. It wasn't until I just stopped, stopped looking, stopped trying to make sense of every little thing. I stumbled across a post somewhere where a lost person (like I was at the time) met a Guru, and the Guru told this person to chant Ramanama and all will become apparent ( the Guru was Vaishnava, not Ramanandi). So I tried as I read, and in to time at all, all sorts of doors opened for me. I found more that made sense to me in one day opposed to the months of searching trying to force my path, when there was a path available to me the whole time, I just needed someone to sweep the leaves away.

I am a lucky one, I had a good basic of knowledge of Sanatana Dharma when I started, thanks to growing up, and being mentored by Hindus. And when I finally buckled down and accepted what had been staring me in my face for most of my life, I even got caught up and lost. I just don't want to discourage people, but to help them.

Perhaps my fears are unfounded, perhaps someone could explain if a conglomerate blog from several different traditions would be in the best interest to those learning.

**The above comparisons were meant to be general just to show an example of some of the things that could lead to confussion for those, like us, are beginning their journey, as such what I said is not up for discussion as being right, wrong or indifferent, it's just an example**

anupj
08 July 2010, 12:59 PM
Namaste Darji,
i get your point, and yes you can have it in your own way. My suggestion was only because of some benefits you can get through it. but we can always figure out different alternative ways to do something.

i wish all the best for your blog, and all the best to seth for his one.

pranam

-Aashna_Namaste-
08 July 2010, 02:12 PM
I just started my own blog... I know it is not as in depth as the others, but if you wish to take a look, here's the link to it...
http://aashna-namaste.blogspot.com
(Do bear with I know the text is hart to read, just highlight it with your cursor. I liked the image and didn't know what text color would look good)

Eastern Mind
08 July 2010, 02:13 PM
Vannakkam Darji:

If its a personal blog, you should be giving your opinion on everything. If people want variety, they can come here. I agree with you in that we are not about creating confusion. Many seekers are still seeking, and confused because of it. I don`t want to learn much of your sampradaya, nor you of mine. Why take a confusion pill. Once you`ve found your path within SD, and you can feel it to the bones, then stop reading other stuff, other that to have a very basic understanding just out of respect.

Aum Namasivaya

Darji
08 July 2010, 02:40 PM
I love that Wallpaper Aashna, if I may, I would suggest putting up a opaque layer under your test so you can read what you typed.

I also added you :)

I think instead of a combined blog, we should start a co-op of blogs. Each separate, but link to other blogs of beginners starting their journeys. I have already added Aashna's link and will be adding Seths in a minute. I think this is a good way to make our presence known, to show we are serious, and to help others. I'm excited!

-Aashna_Namaste-
08 July 2010, 02:45 PM
what's an opaque layer?

Darji
08 July 2010, 02:56 PM
Well I'm still new to blogger so not quite sure what they call it... basically in the cell that has the text you give it a layer of colour perhaps white and set the opacity to around 50% this will allow you to see the image behind but allows you also to see the writing. In order to read your post I had to select the text.\

As I sort out my own space I'll let you know how to do it.

-Aashna_Namaste-
08 July 2010, 03:44 PM
I fixed my blog, so it should be easier to read. Take a look and tell me what you think.

Darji
08 July 2010, 07:02 PM
Looks good!

I need to stop writing and make it look nicer... but content is the important bit now... working on post 4 now.

-Aashna_Namaste-
08 July 2010, 07:13 PM
Namaste Darji,
I read your most recent post. I loved it, it was very helpful and it gives me hope. I agree never give up, because you'll never know what you missed.

Darji
08 July 2010, 07:17 PM
Thank you, glad it made sense. When I get tired my posts tend to get a little blurry.

SETH! HURRY! YOU NEED CONTENT! :P

-Aashna_Namaste-
08 July 2010, 07:26 PM
Darji,
This might be helpful for you and anyone who is going to start a blog on blogger.com. This is a link to a genorator to create your own blogger temlates. I used it for my blog and it turned out well.
http://www.pimp-my-profile.com/generators/blogger.php

anupj
09 July 2010, 01:09 AM
Namaste all,
Darji and AN, both of you are really doing a great job. I just saw your blogs, and it was really inspiring for someone like me. :) Keep up the good work.

pranam

-Aashna_Namaste-
09 July 2010, 01:25 AM
Namaste Anupj,
Thank you so much. I just posted a new entry in my blog. Hope you and all the members here enjoy it and I hope someday to read about your journey.

SethDrebitko
19 July 2010, 07:21 PM
Very much sorry for the serious delay. Things are started over at West Side Dharma (http://www.westsidedharma.com) and will probably progress with at least 2 posts a week. At the start I am pretty sure I will mostly finding my voice.

The ads and affiliate stuff is just there in the case that something appeals or you do your normal shopping through my links. Equally the donation request is just there for those who want to help and not getting anything wont stop the project.

If you donate and don't have your own site to support I suggest tossing in a link to a charity, or other Hindu resources!