PDA

View Full Version : Where is lakṣmī ?

yajvan
20 June 2010, 11:45 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

On many occasions I have read and heard of peoples' concern with prosperity. They mention their ability for good fortune (bhaga) has been allusive and runs away from them.
Many ask how can lakṣmī's blessings be gained?

Many look for a single sound (bīja) or prayer or pūja. Yet is this the proper prasthāna ( way , means) to accomplish ones aim?
We know lakṣmī-devī brings púṇyā - a good sign , good fortune , prosperity , success , happiness. She is known as the devatā of fortune and beauty. She is also known as śrī and regarded as the wife of viṣṇu or nārāyaṇa . She is also variously regarded as a wife of sūrya , as a wife of prajāpati , a wife of dharma and mother of kāma.

It is said She sprang with other precious things from the foam of the ocean when churned by the deva-s and asura to recover amṛta (the nectar conferring immortality , produced at the churning of the ocean, ambrosia) . Others say She appeared during creation floating over the water on the petals of a lotus-flower.
She has been known as a wife of dattatreya , and one of the 9 śaktis of viṣṇu. We identify her with dākṣāyaṇī in bharatāśrama. She is known as sītā , wife of rāma , and other glorious śakti-s.

Who would not want lakṣmī-devī at one's home? Yet the point to be made, is lakṣmī-devī invited or encouraged to one's home just by a word or prayer and no more?

Let's see what She says on this ( from the mahābhārata, śanti parvan ):
I always reside with those that are distinguished for liberality ( open-mindedness, free from prejudice or bigotry), that study knowledge (ved) and the śāstra's; those that worship the pitri-s ( the departed), devatā's, seniors, guest and preceptors ( teachers, guru's).

She mentions she used to reside with the dānava-s. She says formerly the dānava-s used to keep their homes clean, do the proper yajña, wait on their teachers (preceptors) restrain their passions, be truthful in speech, and obedient to brāhmaṇa-s ( those who know Reality). They never fought with one another , they where charitable, economical, endowed with compassion, simplicity of conduct, steadfast of faith, grace and under complete control.
The sun never rose upon them when they lay asleep ( they were up before the dawn) and never out-slepped the moon, She said.

She talks of many other things that are simple but powerful in behavior & deed i.e. self-restraint and self-controlled in nature. She mentioned all all these virtues passed and they ( the dānava-s) began to entertain more censurable acts which was held in esteem ( considered acceptable). She lists out many things yet are rooted in uncleanness, little self-restraint, bad manners, excessive sleep, quarrels, ignorance of the ṛk-s ( mantra's of the ṛg ved), etc. They in general ceased to attend to the purity of the person or purity of mind or of the community.

One thing I found uncanny was lakṣmī-devī's attention to one thing that I think is ~easy~ to practice; a clean and orderly home (as I see it inviting). Lakṣmī-devī goes out of Her way on several occasions to offer this as a blemish: Lakṣmī-devī mentions the following areas:

the dānava-s used to keep their homes clean
corn lay scattered in the yards exposed to devastation by crows and rats
knifes, cups, plates, baskets and spades lay scattered in the house; the house wives abstained from looking after these ( i.e. no cleanup)
milk remained exposed
they ate food that was left uncovered ( or not stored properly)
they touched ghee with hands unwashed
they ate what they had including flesh of animals not prepared or used for sacrifices
etc.My point I wish to suggest : Mantra-s are no doubt a favorable action that should be pursued as many benefits come with this japa to invoke lakṣmī-devī's blessings. That said there are additional actions of merit one may wish to consider as lakṣmī alludes to in Her discussion to śakra-ji¹.

IMHO it does little good to sit like baby birds in their nests and only chirp for mother to come and feed us. We as responsible individuals must consider ourselves, our actions, and our environment to invite lakṣmī-devī to our homes.

praṇām

words

prasthāna a way to attain (any object) , course , method , system
dānava - a class of asuras often identified with the daityas considered rivals of the deva-s
described as children of danu and kaśyapa , some say 40 in number others 100
danu - of a daughter of dakṣa by kaśyapa or danāyū́ as she was the mother of the dānavas
śakra means strong, mighty and is another name for indra.
We know lakṣmī as Śrī Devī , Pārvatī , Śaivī, Śrī

shian
21 June 2010, 10:57 PM
I agree with Yajvan

That is...^_^...

yajvan
24 July 2010, 02:58 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

In the aṇusāsana¹ parvan section of the mahābhārata, lakṣmī (also known as śrī) says a few interesting things to the princess rukmini :

I always reside with him who is eloquent ,active, attentive to business and free from wrath; given to worship, endowed
with gratitude and is high-minded. I never reside with one that is inattentive to business, that is an unbeliever, , causes intermixture of varṇa in consequence of his lustfulness. I am not with him that is of impure practices and that uses harsh and cruel words; him who is a thief or that cherish malice towards one's preceptor, and other seniors. I am not with him that is distressed with every trifle and is always engaged in wrath.

I do not reside with those women who do not attend to their house, who has provisions scattered around and that utter words contrary to to the wishes of their husbands. I avoid women that are fond of the houses of other people and have no modesty.
( I am not certain if śrī is calling out those women that may frequent other homes too often or that are envious of another's property ). I always avoid women that are sinful, impure and unclean; those that have no patience or fortitude and are fond of dispute and quarrelling,; and those that are given to too much sleep.

She mentions all this while in the presence of devaki's son kṛṣṇa (some prefer kṛṣṇ) which I find interesting...

praṇām

words

aṇusāsana - The brilliance of this word aṇusāsana parvan shows the great command of the language by vyāsa-ji ( also known as Kṛṣṇa Dvaipāyana ). This word can be seen in a few ways:
aṇu+sā+sana : aṇu = finer +sā =knowledge + sana = presenting, gain, acquisition. Hence the section (parva) presenting finer knowledge.
anu + śasana : anu = after or afterwords + śasana = killing. Hence the section (prava) after the war.

charlebs
30 August 2010, 11:32 AM
I happen to meditate on one of lakshmi's names :)

got it from a tutor

kahanam
27 November 2010, 02:43 AM
Great! If the mind is pure, the home is pure and uncluttered, if the women are dressed well and were never lazy, people never sleep at dawn and dusk, houses are well-lit, Goddess Lakshmi resides there! Eye-opener from Mahabharatha indeed! Thanks for posting!:) :) :)

charlebs
02 April 2011, 06:52 PM
I view lakshmi as a strict but very shy and loving deva. Never force yourself onto a woman who is like Lakshmi. She would tremble in fear.. :(

yajvan
02 April 2011, 10:53 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté charlebs

I view lakshmi as a strict but very shy and loving deva. Never force yourself onto a woman who is like Lakshmi. She would tremble in fear.. :(
One idea worth pondering is Her name of lakṣmī also known as lakṣmīka. The 'ka' means splendor, light. So, the splendor and light of lakṣmī. This 'ka' is also the sound of brahman. Hence She the splendor and light of brahman.

Yet another that may align with your comment above... that of mahālakṣmī. This name also means a girl 13 years of age. At this age we know of their shyness, their innocence. Yet this innocence does not hold too-too long as mahālakṣmī destroyed the daitya named mahāla.

Note hāla ( within mahāla) is a spirituous liquor; hala ( without the long ā) is ugliness , deformity , hindrance , or obstruction .
Where do I get this idea of 'destroy' from this wonderful mahālakṣmī ? It resides in 'mī' . This sound form is also defined ( amongst other things) to lessen , diminish , destroy; to perish , disappear.

It is She that destroys (mī) obstruction & ugliness (hala) and brings splendor and light (ka) - this is Her greatness (mahā).

praṇām

charlebs
03 April 2011, 04:46 AM
I wish to tell of a vision I had of her, but I wasn't total sound then.
I love your explanation though, it teaches me more, but I can't add to it, because you already said enough I suppose.

I saw her for a short time as a 2dimensional figurine. Then I begged her to show me her ugliness (I set my mind upon seeing her before going to sleep, so I was gonna meditate all night long), I saw a black ball with swirling arms. It was pretty in my opinion. I love black.

may sound weird, but I had the same thing with ganesh. well I did not ask for ugliness with him so I saw him 3 times each time more beautiful and powerfull than the last.
I also saw a vision of hell and my own death, but what is death anyway.

I wanted to share this. :o

thanks again for appropriating the name of lakshmi, it teaches me about women. =)