PDA

View Full Version : What about Smarta?

Ao
24 June 2010, 03:46 AM
I am very new to Hinduism, but from the little about the various sects that I've read, Smarta was the most appealing to me initially. Again, I know very little, but noticed there is no sub-forum for Smarta in the God in Hindu Dharma section. Just wondering, why is that?

Onkara
24 June 2010, 02:55 PM
Hi Andrew
I have asked myself the same thing. There are also some other sects/schools not included. We will have to ask Satay Ji to enlighten us when he comes this way :)

For someone attracted to Advaita Vedanta, Smarta is an logical next thought. I would like to hear more about it from a follower.

Welcome to the Forum!

satay
24 June 2010, 09:40 PM
namaskar,

Hi Andrew
I have asked myself the same thing. There are also some other sects/schools not included. We will have to ask Satay Ji to enlighten us when he comes this way :)

Well, initially the subforums were created dividing things in general categories from academic point of view. The thought behind not creating too many subforums is that we don't want to have so many empty subforums or subforums with one or two threads in them.

Some people have complained that there are too many subforums. Others have asked for specific subforums for their tradition but then stop posting after a couple of threads.

We can always create a subforum for smarta tradition but isn't the advaita subforum sufficient? How many smarta members do we have that will posting in that new subforum?

Ao
24 June 2010, 10:03 PM
namaskar,

Well, initially the subforums were created dividing things in general categories from academic point of view. The thought behind not creating too many subforums is that we don't want to have so many empty subforums or subforums with one or two threads in them.

Some people have complained that there are too many subforums. Others have asked for specific subforums for their tradition but then stop posting after a couple of threads.

We can always create a subforum for smarta tradition but isn't the advaita subforum sufficient? How many smarta members do we have that will posting in that new subforum?

Practicalities are indeed important. What's Advaita? And how does it differ from the others?