PDA

View Full Version : Yama 9, Mitahara, Moderate appetite

Eastern Mind
24 June 2010, 04:14 PM
Vannakkam all:

from http://veda.wikidot.com/yama-niyama

YAMA 9 — Mitahara, Moderate Appetite

"Be moderate in appetite, neither eating too much nor consuming meat, fish, shellfish, fowl or eggs. Enjoy fresh, wholesome vegetarian foods that vitalize the body. Avoid junk food. Drink in moderation. Eat at regular times, only when hungry, at a moderate pace, never between meals, in a disturbed atmosphere or when upset. Follow a simple diet, avoiding rich or fancy fare."

There are two problems with this. One is money, and not being able to afford the best and healthy alternatives. Junk food is easy. Don't buy it. I confess we do eat a bit of it around here. The occasional ice cream. I am also a consumer of coffee, although it isn't mentioned here. Of courses various diets are often due to preconditioned programming and the older you are the tougher it is to change. I actually know a few Tamils now who will partake of brown rice on occasion. This is a change from just 20 years ago, and a good western influence, in direct contrast to most western influences.

I think that with all the yamas, it is how hard one tries.

Aum Namasivaya

devotee
24 June 2010, 07:27 PM
Namaste EM,

Mitahara = Eating less

Actually, Most of us are victims of overeating. We must eat only what is required to keep our body fit. Eating more makes us prone to diseases and makes us unfit for yoga.

Mitahara is not only interpreted as "less eating" but also "eating right food only" as you have mentioned in your post. Among all the sense organs, two organs are very hard to conquer i.e. the tongue and the skin. However, it comes easy for some & very difficult for others. I have seen people mad after eating meat, spicy food, alcohol etc. etc. ... though they very well know that this habit is leading to a painful death ... but they have so weak will-power that they feel that they are helpless. Conquering tongue has been easy for me by God's grace.

OM

Eastern Mind
24 June 2010, 07:47 PM
Vannakkam Devotee:

So true. Obesity may already be the world's number one health problem. Take a look at the chart here: http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_obe-health-obesity

For most people, health takes a crisis in order for habits to change. Even then it often doesn't. I know two stroke victims that haven't altered their lifestyle one iota. I was personally worried about weight gain, but fortunatly in my retirement it was mostly due to bulking up from a lot more physical labour type work. Fat turning to muscle from moving loads of topsoil with a wheelbarrow. I gained about 30 pounds, but I've always had the will to diet if need be. Choices are the real problem. High sugar, high carbo, and no exercise. What did you expect?

I recalled how disgusting some of my former staff parties were when there was food. It seemed like a pig-out contest. I ended up sneaking off just so I didn't have to watch pigs at a trough. We'd go out for lunch at the end of the school year, and I'd order a chef's salad or something, and get stared at as if I was the one that was 'out to lunch'.

Aum Namasivaya

Ramakrishna
24 June 2010, 08:51 PM
Namaste,

This is one yama that I am on top of, for the most part. My family and I have become much more conscious of what we are eating over the past several years, not that there was ever a problem or anything. My biggest weakness that remains is drinking sodas like Coke and Pepsi. I used to drink it pretty much everyday, but I've cut back to two or three times a week. I plan on cutting back even more than that and eventually eliminate it from my diet. But besides that, I eat moderately and a vegetarian diet.

It is amazing how big of a problem obesity is in my country, the United States. There have actually been a good amount of studies and literature about it, but it seems like the people just keep on eating. I read a book a couple of years ago called "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan. It centers around the following piece of advice: "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." If only more people would follow that advice.

Jai Sri Krishna

atanu
25 June 2010, 01:15 AM
Namaste All

On several occassions, Shri Ramana on being asked as to what was most helpful for pracising yoga successfully, replied: Mitahara.

Especially, the Hindu understanding is that the essence of food becomes the mind, the medium part becomes blood and the gross becomes the body. Considering this, the importance of Mitahara cannot be over emphasized.

Om Namah Shivaya

yajvan
25 June 2010, 12:30 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Does one eat to live or live to eat?

That said, yudhiṣṭhira asks a question to bhīṣma-ji - common people consider fasting as tapas. Is fasting however really so or is tapas something different?
bhīṣma-ji offers the following: people do regard fasts measured in months or fortnights (14 days) or days as tapas. Yet in the opinion of the good such is not tapas.
On the other hand fast is an impediment to the acquisition of knowledge of the Self. The renunciation of acts and humility ( as measured in the worship of all creatures and consideration for them all i.e. non-injury) constitute the highest tapas.

Note bhīṣma-ji talks in days & weeks ... Hence his information does not violate the recommendation of ekadaśa's ( 1 + 10 or the 11th tithi) vrata¹ of fasting for the day.

Yet, let me ask our HDF friends - why do you think bhīṣma-ji suggests that long fasts are an an impediment to the acquisition of knowledge of the Self?

praṇām

1. vrata - rule, will , command , law , ordinance ,

Sahasranama
25 June 2010, 04:23 PM
Short fasts like ekadashi are good for health, because of detoxification, hormonal balancing and psychological benefits. Longer fast are not good though, after 72 hours of fasting the body will go in starvation mode. It's not good for health and as Krishna says in the bhagavad gita that tapas that brings injury is tamo guna. Krishna also says that while eating and sleeping according to the needs of the body yoga will destroy dukha.

isavasya
25 June 2010, 04:38 PM
Namaste em ji and all,

Thanks for the topic, but I feel I totally fail in this code of conduct called mitahara. I don't eat much (in fact I suffered under-nutrition for a long time), but I have a very erratic diet habit. Well, in delhi sun I don't feel like going out, so usually I eat only 1 time at 10 in the night, Even the food I eat is really tamsic, instead of water I only drink coca-cola. My food must have lots and lots of green chilly. I eat a lot of potato chips and other junk food to compensate for lack of regular diet. Can any one help me how to get rid of these problems ? I have seriously damaged my health.

Sahasranama
25 June 2010, 05:26 PM
First of all, don't be worried about your habits and try to keep it simple. Don't look for what the latest research says about health. Healthy eating is basically common sense.

Most important of all, do not go to the other extreme and become a health nut. Moderation is the key.

Patato chips, coca cola and other junk food are obviously bad for your health, but you don't have to avoid them completely. Just don't eat them regularly. Start drinking water, green tea or water with a squeeze of lemon. Too much soda is bad for your digestive track, your teeth and your blood.

Spicy food is not at all bad for health, most spices like tumeric and pepper have proven health benefits. Don't eat so much spice to the point it becomes uncomfortable. Spices are there to enchance the taste of food, not to replace the taste.

Eat vegetables, fruit, nuts, seeds, legumes, grains, dairy (and/or eggs). Add a limited amount of salt and spices, avoid empty calories as much as realistically possible.

How often you eat is not really a big deal. Yogis often eat only once a day, but they are very efficient in their use of energy. If you are sedentary, eat two meals a day, if you have an active lifestyle, eat three meals a day. Professional athletes and people who do strenuous physical work for hours a day may need more frequent feedings.

You also say you are undernourished, if you are also underweight or overweight it may help to do exercise. Also if you have a normal weight, training has a lot of health benefits. Consider doing a sport, yoga and strength training (in moderation).

Eastern Mind
25 June 2010, 06:38 PM
Vannakkam isavasya:

It is really the simple things to change first. There are certain things that are harder. Going off coca-cola will have more to do with the caffeine withdrawal than the sugar. Such companies put addictive substances in their products just to get you hooked. Harder things would be replacing white rice with the more nutritional brown rice.

But if you start, you will feel better reasonably quickly. One of the things I did when I realised my job was going to be sedentary was to walk a lot. There were a lot of taller buildings with elevators, and I vowed off elevators. Even now, when traveling in India, if I get to a hotel with an elevator, I usually take the stairs except when packing heavy suitcases. That habit has stuck with me. So if you can, rather than bus to work, why not walk? It's a pretty simple adjustment.

Regarding junk food, buy bananas or other fruits instead. Best of lucj with making some small changes.

Aum Namasivaya

yajvan
25 June 2010, 07:00 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté isavasya

Namaste em ji and all,

Thanks for the topic, but I feel I totally fail in this code of conduct called mitahara. I don't eat much (in fact I suffered under-nutrition for a long time), but I have a very erratic diet habit. Well, in delhi sun I don't feel like going out, so usually I eat only 1 time at 10 in the night, Even the food I eat is really tamsic, instead of water I only drink coca-cola. My food must have lots and lots of green chilly. I eat a lot of potato chips and other junk food to compensate for lack of regular diet. Can any one help me how to get rid of these problems ? I have seriously damaged my health.

You will receive much advice on what is nourishing and what is not. This works on the intellect. Yet the senses are pulled to where they wish to go. And who is the charioteer of the senses? The mind.

IMHO you will need the will, self-control to make the changes. This self-control will also ask self-restraint to help. Three areas need to be engaged: the head, heart and the hands.

The head - is your understanding of food, behaviors, what is good and uplifting in nourishment and what is not. So some study on this matter is in order.
The heart is the feeling and passion to stay the course. That is to start and move one's behavior to nourishing foods and environments.
The hands is that final action that puts food in your mouth. The hands ( actions) must be in concert with your plan.Now that said, one must be aware of all the six tastes -
Sweet, sour, salty, pungent, bitter astringent. When all 6 are entertained correctly for one's body constitution, health prevails.
It seems you thrive on sweet, salty, and pungent ( coke-a-cola, potato chips, hot peppers). Now how to get the other tastes as part of your diet.

If I were in your shoes and I really wanted to change my eating habits, I would see a Ayurvedic doctor for an evaluation. Being honest with him on your intake is wise; he will also see your 'intake' by viewing you , doing pulse diagnosis, and other things. He will see what constitution you are i.e. vatta, pitta, kapha.

More on Ayurved here on these HDF posts
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2356 (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2356)
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=572 (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=572)

He/she then can assist you accordingly.

food is medicine, medicine is food...

praṇām

NayaSurya
25 June 2010, 08:18 PM
This thread is one I constantly work on. After having 10 pregnancies in the course of 19 years...Well it's made my body very weak. I was born with the heart condition so it's always been rough.

But the babies, yikes...especially the twins. I had a large deep vein thrombosis in my greater saphenous vein after the twins delivery and was very ill.

Hard to rebound as I always had because of months of bed rest.

I fast a lot. But, because I have some weight, it hasn't been harmful. I'm about 5'11 and 200 lbs so it never has hurt me to go a month without food.

I make sure to take multi vitamins and drink plenty of clear fluids.

Something happens after about day three, it's truly amazing. Things that were very confusing to me suddenly become very clear. Some of the most amazing spiritual moments I have experienced was after several weeks of fasting during the time of the Mahalaya Amavasya...I didn't even know of this ritual until this past Spring...but had been fasting on this time my whole life.

Normally, I eat once a day too...I do drink soda, but it's caffein free and zero calories diet cherry 7-up.

Truly, one of my only weakness in this world is a caramel granny smith (bright green) apple with nuts. I get one as a special treat when we go to Holiday World. They make it right in front of us with fresh apples. :p

Eastern Mind
25 June 2010, 08:31 PM
Vannakkam Naya et al: I remember the one time I fasted for the six day Skanda Shasti festival ... only water. And yes something amazing happens after the 3 days. There is a definite shift in consciousness. As far as longer fasting being unhealthy, it is still a matter of debate in various nutrition and medical communities. Like a lot of stuff, you never know who to believe. I get nasty migraines from fasting now, so I haven't even tried for ten years or so. I coincidentally fasted because I'd forget to eat at school. It was the headache that told me I hadn't eaten. Does anyone have any cure for that? Maybe its the coffee. I drink about 4 cups a day, but it stimulates another health 'situation'.

Aum Namasivaya

Ramakrishna
25 June 2010, 09:22 PM
Namaste em ji and all,

Namaste isavasya,

Sahasranama has given you excellent advice. The most important thing he said is that healthy eating is basically common sense. You really just need to go back to the basics. Base your diet around fruits, vegetables, and grain. It's really simple. Eat a salad everyday or at least a few times a week. Eat a bowl of fruit with your breakfast and lunch. Of course there are plenty of elaborate and healthy vegetarian dishes that require a lot of work, but just start off with the basics. Just listen to Michael Pollan's advice: "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."

Jai Sri Krishna

Sahasranama
26 June 2010, 02:47 AM
Vannakkam isavasya:

It is really the simple things to change first. There are certain things that are harder. Going off coca-cola will have more to do with the caffeine withdrawal than the sugar. Such companies put addictive substances in their products just to get you hooked.

Yes, they also put a lot of salt in coca cola to make you even thirstier.

Eastern Mind
26 June 2010, 06:34 AM
Vannakam:

There is quite the difference between eating in India, and eating in the west. For starters, health food and organic markets are relatively easily available here. unless you are quite rural. Our main 'cultural' item to be cleaned up is the vast quantities of meat consumption, although forty years ago white bread, and white flour were the mainstay, and you were considered a bit of an odd duck if you ate 60% whole wheat. Rice was a non-issue as few people ate much of it at all. Even then they used minute rice for rice pudding. Certainly it was no mainstay of the average diet.

In India, availability of certain products, and organic markets are less. I found some regular plain oatmeal, and it was placed in the health food section of the store. Here you can buy it in 5kg bags, and it is still common as a breakfast cooked cereal. Yet there in India, lentils and dhals are all over. Here you have to go to an Indian import store to find many of them. Here things like chick peas were unheard of outside of middle eastern or Indian enclaves within larger cities until recently. Heck, my father was in his 70s when he first tasted pizza. He wouldn't even try papaya.

Most of this is due to climate and growing conditions varying between places. So when someone from India, and someone from the west discuss eating, sometimes there is a cultural distance that makes it hard to find a common ground. I realised that if advice is to be dished out, we need to consider when in Rome, do as the Romans do.

Aum Namasivaya

isavasya
26 June 2010, 07:53 AM
Thanks so much everyone for the suggestions, I should really implement them and not just read, though It's hard for me to mend my ways.

Healthy eating is basically common sense.

Patato chips, coca cola and other junk food are obviously bad for your health, but you don't have to avoid them completely. Just don't eat them regularly. Start drinking water, green tea or water with a squeeze of lemon. Too much soda is bad for your digestive track, your teeth and your blood.

You also say you are undernourished, if you are also underweight or overweight it may help to do exercise. Also if you have a normal weight, training has a lot of health benefits. Consider doing a sport, yoga and strength training (in moderation).

Thanks sahashranama,

Yes even I have read not all spicy food are really bad, about coca-cola and soda, they are the root cause of all problems for me, people get addicted to alcohol, but I am perhaps the only one who has got addicted to soft-drinks, apart from sugar that soft drinks contain, they also stimulate the brain and causes erratic sleeping habits, I think you and em ji are right, these company put some addictive. Regarding under-nutrition, I was underweight till a few years ago, now i have normal physic. I will take your suggestion of green tea from today itself.:) Recently I tried lemon as was suggested by another person, and that worked too, but left that after few days and again the same problem.

Thanks yajvan ji and ramkrishna ji

I am happy to see yajvan ji having such a faith in ancient science of ayurveda, here in India it's popularity had decreased, but now again it is on rise.

Eastern Mind
26 June 2010, 08:02 AM
but I am perhaps the only one who has got addicted to soft-drinks, apart from sugar that soft drinks contain, they also stimulate the brain and causes erratic sleeping habits,

Vannakam: Do not worry. You are not alone. I had a colleague here in Canada who comsumed anywhere from 6 to 12 cans of Pepsi-cola daily. The store aisles here are filled with it. some people can drink as much as 2 litres in one sitting. That, even when our water here is free. I drink tap water, some people don't though.

The erratic sleeping is definitely caffeine. I stop coffee about 3PM and give myself a 6 hour or so break. You could try that.

Aum Namasivaya

NayaSurya
26 June 2010, 08:49 AM
I was addicted to Pepsi and Big Red (big red tastes like bubble gum and it's bright red colored) for years. I worked long nights in hospitals and was raising four small children...all while going to college.

It happens<3

Now, I only drink the caffein free, no sodium, no calorie versions of those drinks. It was a hard switch, but I'm six years clean.

yajvan
28 June 2010, 05:52 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

On the other hand fast is an impediment to the acquisition of knowledge of the Self. The renunciation of acts and humility ( as measured in the worship of all creatures and consideration for them all i.e. non-injury) constitute the highest tapas.

Yet, let me ask our HDF friends - why do you think bhīṣma-ji suggests that long fasts are an an impediment to the acquisition of knowledge of the Self?
The answer as I see it is offered in the chāndogya upaniṣad , 6th chapter (prapāṭhaka -a lecture ; also a chapter), it says:
The food we eat gets seperated out as three: the coarsest part becomes waste, the middling part becomes flesh and the subtlest part becomes mind.
What we eat is composed of the tattva-s , yes? In turn we are composed of these tattva... water (āpaḥ) also seperates into 3 , waste, blood, and prāṇa. There are other elements ( tattva) we can refer to but these two are part of the story.

Śvetaketu is now instructed to fast for 15 days, but drink water as he pleases. After the 15 days he approaches his father (as his teacher) and says what would you like my to say? His father, āruṇi-ji says you may recite the verses of the ṛk, yajur and sāma ved. Śvetaketu responds and says, I cannot recall them .

And Why so? It is the nourishment of food that feeds the mind. Without it we are left without a vigorous mind/memory. We are brought down to one amber of a big bonfire, says āruṇi-ji.

Śvetaketu's life force , prāṇa, remined because he drank water for the 15 days, yet it was not fueled by food so one would be bright as a bon-fire.

Hence how fasting/food is connected to knowledge... without a strong mind, learning is difficult to achieve.

praṇām

Eastern Mind
28 June 2010, 06:06 PM
Vannakkam Yajvan:

Clearly there are various takes on this within the vast array of philosophies we call of Hinduism. Bhisma wasn't speaking for all Hindus, as there is no such thing. For me, once again, it boils down to an individual's own perception on the matter. I have no problem with anyone fasting, or not fasting. I do have a problem with gluttony, which I believe is more what the yama is about. Avoidance of gluttony.

Aum namasivaya

yajvan
28 June 2010, 08:40 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté EM,
thank you for your note.

Clearly there are various takes on this within the vast array of philosophies we call of Hinduism

I am not certain to which post you are referring ( assume its post 20), but please offer some other views I am eager to hear them.

Bhisma wasn't speaking for all Hindus, as there is no such thing If you are talking about the last post referring to Śvetaketu then it is not bisma talking but Śvetaketu's father āruṇi-ji.

There are many words that come from the ved that do in fact speak for sanātana dharma in whole; I will be happy to give you several examples if you wish.

it boils down to an individual's own perception on the matter. I have no problem with anyone fasting, or not fasting

I too have no problem with a person's selection. My point which I offered was the connection to the mind and it's inability to pursue knowledge when fasting becomes excessive. This was the question I posted in post 6, and thought prudent to answer in post 20.

praṇām

Eastern Mind
28 June 2010, 09:06 PM
Vannakkam Yajvanji:

Sorry for any misunderstandings here. I am not very knowledgeable on scripture. Certainly not eh popular Gita. Certainly not like yourself. Frankly, I can often not follow your posts when they are strung together, so jumping around back to other posts is something I don't have the energy or desire to do. Yet I feel no need for clarification.

As for the mind's 'inability' to pursue knowledge when fasting, my own experience has been different. In my view, the type of knowledge shifts, but it is still knowledge. Indeed I found clarity in fasting. Of course you have the right to differ.

Aum Namasivaya

NayaSurya
28 June 2010, 09:16 PM
Actually studies have shown that as long as the body is not "Starvation" fasting that it can be very healthy.

"Through evolution, the body became very efficient at storing energy and handling situations when no food was available. For many centuries, fasting was probably a normal occurrence for most people, and the body adapted to it. It is estimated that even very thin people can survive for 40 days or more without food. The body has a special mechanism that is initiated when no food is eaten. Fasting is not starvation (http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Starvation), but rather the body's burning of stored energy. Starvation occurs when the body no longer has any stored energy and begins using essential tissues such as organs for an energy source. Therapeutic fasts are stopped long before this happens."

"Many physiological changes occur in the body during fasting. During the first day or so, the body uses its glycogen reserves, the sugars that are the basic energy supply. After these are depleted, the body begins using fat. However, the brain, which has high fuel requirements, still needs glucose (sugars converted from glycogen). To obtain glucose for the brain, the body begins to break down muscle tissue during the second day of the fast. Thus, during fasting some muscle loss will occur. To fuel the brain, the body would need to burn over a pound of muscle a day, but the body has developed another way to create energy that saves important muscle mass. This protein-sparing process is called ketosis, which occurs during the third day of a fast for men and the second day for women. In this highly efficient state, the liver begins converting stored fat and other nonessential tissues into ketones, which can be used by the brain, muscles, and heart as energy. It is at this point in the fast that sensations of hunger generally go away, and many people experience normal or even increased energy levels. Hormone levels and certain functions become more stable in this state as well. "

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/fasting

It is obvious that we are speaking of two separate types of fasting. One which is detrimental to our body and organs. One is very healthy as long as we have natural reserves. The brain gets plenty of energy either from eating food or eating our stored fat reserves...it's simply no different.

As one who fasts multiple times a year. Some have been almost two months at a time. I can tell you that in this modern era things are much easier to accomplish. I take numerous multi vitamins throughout my fasts...and liquids that help me with my potassium issue.

Truly sodium and potassium are the killers on extended fasts.

I can only speak for my own experience with this and none others. But, my brain is on constant high speed. Even to sleep it takes much effort. So if fasting causes brain lag...well then no wonder it makes things more clear for me.

This brain remembers the paragraphs of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales...I can recite it in old English. I learned this in 12th grade back in 1989. My mind is full of such nonesense...every single person I ever met is inside this brain...every story...song...

God help me...but it's true.

For me...fasting is one of the only times that I slow down. I have greatly benefitted my whole life from this activity.

I do not recomend it for everyone, my husband for example. He's about 129 pounds and 6'4. He has absolutely no reserves for fasting.

yajvan
28 June 2010, 09:51 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namast&#233; EM,

Vannakkam Yajvanji:

Sorry for any misunderstandings here. I am not very knowledgeable on scripture. Certainly not eh popular Gita. Certainly not like yourself. Frankly, I can often not follow your posts when they are strung together, so jumping around back to other posts is something I don't have the energy or desire to do. Yet I feel no need for clarification.

As for the mind's 'inability' to pursue knowledge when fasting, my own experience has been different. In my view, the type of knowledge shifts, but it is still knowledge. Indeed I found clarity in fasting. Of course you have the right to differ. Aum Namasivaya

I too have found fasting rewarding when done for a day or so. I also have found Friday's work the best for me. I found clarity of thinking that accompanies the fast, yet I have never pursued a long fast of 3 or more days. Yet after day one , I think additional days would not be difficult, as the desire for food has subsided.

Also, my references to the śāstra-s are for the sake of insight. I am not the expert. I look to the wise as those who have a better handle on the human condition then I.

On many occasions I have found what was written incongruent with my experiences... but over time and a second look at the wisdom, found my POV off-base as I did not comprehend the knowledge sufficiently. Hence a higher level of respect is paid to the śāstra-s and āgama-s.

praṇām

atanu
03 July 2010, 01:48 PM
Vannakkam isavasya:

It is really the simple things to change first. There are certain things that are harder. Going off coca-cola will have more to do with the caffeine withdrawal than the sugar. Such companies put addictive substances in their products just to get you hooked. Harder things would be replacing white rice with the more nutritional brown rice.

----

Namaste All

That is an observation i second.

I was deeply into study of Homeopathic Materia Medica, which describes effects of ingestion many many chemicals, plants, metals, poisons etc. I happened to note the contents of Coca Cola (which I unfortunately like) and saw two compounds: Phosphoric Acid and Natrum Carbonate. Anyone who has read the materia medica will have noted the nature of these compounds to generate Euphoria and also replenish exhaustion of sexual debilitation. In fact these two are homeopathic drugs to counter efffects of excessive masturbation and treat depression. Long term use of these compounds will produce just these symptoms in users.

Indeed these two compounds, more than the caffeine, are the hidden addictive components in Coca Cola and other aerated soft drinks. I have a feeling that such addictive items that generate feelings of Euphoria etc. are also present in all kinds of fast foods.

Om Namah Shivaya

Eastern Mind
03 July 2010, 01:58 PM
Vannakkam Atanu:

I'm not sure about those two compounds here in North America. Out of curiousity, my daughter and I tried the Indian version of 7-Up. It was far sweeter than the stuff they use here. I'll have to look into it. I'm sure the companies will adjust to the local customs. Interesting indeed. Totally unscrupulous if you ask me. Of course the old ingredient in Coke was cocaine, hence the name. I forget when they took that stuff out of it.

Aum Namasivaya

devotee
03 July 2010, 10:41 PM
Namaste EM,

I'm sure the companies will adjust to the local customs.

No, it is not "adjusting", my friend ! It is sheer commericialism with earning profit as the sole aim without having any concern for public health ... as the law enforcing agencies or the laws itself are not too strong in a developing country like India !

OM

Eastern Mind
04 July 2010, 06:50 AM
Vannakkam Devotee:

Yes, I should have put 'adjust' in quotes. I totally agree. And the range of harmful things go from food to pesticides to asbestos and many more. When one country passes a law, the executives just say, "Well, I guess we'll have to find a new market."

My government just let an expansion of a large asbestos mine go ahead, after having it stopped years ago. An investigative documentary here showed clearly that it was being exported to India and there it had basically no safety standards at all. Of course the company denied it, despite footage of the working conditions. I'm embarrassed to be Canadian for that one.. and others. We could get going on who manufactures weaponry as well. Profit is the motivator. To think there used to be a more egalitarian time where maximising free time for everyone was the motivator.

Aum Namasivaya

devotee
04 July 2010, 07:02 PM
Sadly, what you say is true, EM ! For these multinationals, the people of developing nations are just means of milking money.

OM

Sahasranama
27 August 2010, 05:13 AM
http://www.vegsource.com/news/2010/08/coca-cola-pollution-in-a-bottle.html

Eastern Mind
27 August 2010, 06:23 AM
Vannakkam Sahasranama: The sugar in Coke and other soft drinks is poison enough for me never to drink it, but the other poisons make it even worse. Maybe this knowledge will get a few people to stop drinking it. Indian soft drinks are much sweeter than western ones. Profit over people is somewhere below the muladhara, I'm just not sure where.

The upside is the increase in bottled water consumption all over. Back a few hundred years ago when I was young water in a bottle would be unheard of.

Aum Namasivaya

Sahasranama
24 February 2011, 02:35 PM
more news: http://www.cspinet.org/new/201102161.html

Eastern Mind
24 February 2011, 04:00 PM
Vannakkam: And then there's substitute sugar ... http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=artificial-sweetener-linked-weight-gain

Seems we cannot win when it comes to food.

Aum Namasivaya

Adhvagat
24 February 2011, 07:54 PM
Yet there's nothing like the sheer energy one feels one eating a maha-prasada.

There's an older devotee friend of mine that whenever he sees sodas and these too-sweet, too-spicy foods he says: "This is Kali Yuga food! Only Kali Yuga for people to consume this!"

I crack up every time he says that.

Arjuni
13 April 2011, 01:02 AM
Namasté, all,

This is a topic of particular interest to me, as moderation in appetite has always been difficult. I have had a strong appetite since very young and often feel a sense of fear when a long time without food. A focus in my current sādhanā is mitahara indeed, to build trust and to understand that a delay between meals is not a cause for panic...

Yajvan, in post #22 you wrote: There are many words that come from the ved that do in fact speak for sanātana dharma in whole; I will be happy to give you several examples if you wish.

The minute you mention the ved, my ears perk up...
Do you mean verses in general, or verses that specifically apply to this matter of moderation? I am interested either way, but would be especially curious if they related to the topic at hand. Would you be willing to provide those examples you mentioned earlier?

(Thank you also for referencing the Chāndogya Upaniṣad; it is a story I was not currently thinking about, but is certainly helpful to me at present.)

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

yajvan
13 April 2011, 04:41 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namast&#233; Indraneela

This is a topic of particular interest to me, as moderation in appetite has always been difficult. I have had a strong appetite since very young and often feel a sense of fear when a long time without food. A focus in my current sādhanā is mitahara indeed, to build trust and to understand that a delay between meals is not a cause for panic...

Yajvan, in post #22 you wrote: There are many words that come from the ved that do in fact speak for sanātana dharma in whole; I will be happy to give you several examples if you wish.
Do you mean verses in general, or verses that specifically apply to this matter of moderation? I am interested either way, but would be especially curious if they related to the topic at hand. Would you be willing to provide those examples you mentioned earlier?

Let me offer a few principles that are universal in nature no matter what views of sanātana dharma one wishes to pursue ,
this wisdom is timeless and unbounded :

It is the following from the from the ṛg veda I.164.46, and ṛṣi dīrghatamas.

He informs us:
indraṃ mitraṃ varuṇamaghnimāhuratho divyaḥ sa suparṇo gharutmān |
ekaṃ sad viprā bahudhā vadantyaghniṃ yamaṃ mātariśvānamāhuḥ ||

The key words here are ekaṃ sad viprā bahudhā

ekaṃ = eka = one, single
sad = sat सत् = that which really is , entity or existence , essence , the true being or really existent; in vedānta this is the self-existent or Supreme, brahman
viprā = vipra विप्र- a ṛṣi, sage, a brahmin ( the knowers of Truth)
bahudhā बहुधा-variously; in many ways or parts or forms or directions , manifoldly
divyaḥ = divya दिव्य divine , heavenly , celestial , the divine beings; deva-sHence this says, Truth (sad - existence , essence, brahman) is One ( ekaṃ ), the sages (vipra - ṛṣi-s) call it variously (bahudhā).

He mentions the 'divyaḥ' as indra, mitra, varuṇa, agni, etc. that these are some of the names the ṛṣi may use to describe
the Supreme i.e. He is known by various (bahudhā) names and forms.

No matter what POV you have of sanātana dharma, your existence even to dis-agree or agree on this matter is based
upon sat , existence itself ( some prefer to call sattā ). What part of sanātana dharma cannot exist without sat itself?

There are others, yet best to go slow on this matter.

praṇām

yajvan
13 April 2011, 04:58 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namast&#233;

Hence this says, Truth (sad - existence , essence, brahman) is One ( ekaṃ ), the sages (vipra - ṛṣi-s) call it variously (bahudhā).

He mentions the 'divyaḥ' as indra, mitra, varuṇa, agni, etc. that these are some of the names the ṛṣi may use to describe
the Supreme i.e. He is known by various (bahudhā) names and forms.

Now there are some views of Creation in sanātana dharma that do not recognize a God (as a creator). Even if this is one's view, the ṛg veda quote still holds true because it is grounded in existence. If one chooses not to recognize a Lord, fine. Yet how can one deny existence itself and still be able to speak in the hear and now ? That would be a contradiction , no?
That is why ṛṣi dīrghatamas says the sages (vipra - ṛṣi-s) call it variously (bahudhā).

praṇām

rkpande
13 April 2011, 10:37 PM
decreasing food intake without sacrificing nutrients increases longevity.
Google and find out
rk

Adhvagat
13 April 2011, 11:00 PM
decreasing food intake without sacrificing nutrients increases longevity.
Google and find out
rk

I think that's the opinion of Ayurveda as well.

Sahasranama
18 April 2011, 07:38 AM
One way to practice mitahara is to reduce meal frequency. The shastras speak a lot of the benefit to eat less often. Recent scientific research also confirms that eating less frequently can have a postive influence on insulin and growth hormone. A myth has been spread by nutrionists that one needs to eat small frequent meals to increase metabolism. This is pure nonsense and luckily more research is being done to discover the benefit of eating less frequently and of short periods of fasting. People who do hard physical labour for several hours a day should eat more frequently, but sedentairy people should eat less often.

Adhvagat
18 April 2011, 09:30 AM
Sahasranama, seems like you understand a lot of alimentation (at least way more than I do).

It would be nice if you created some posts on essential foods, what to consume, what to avoid, importance of certain stuff like milk for example.

I was avoiding milk for a while because I didn't wanna support the large manufacturers and I began to feel very bad, head pains and what not, had to come back to it.

It would also be nice if you commented on veganism, if you know anything about it.

Sahasranama
12 October 2011, 05:37 AM
Sahasranama, seems like you understand a lot of alimentation (at least way more than I do).

It would be nice if you created some posts on essential foods, what to consume, what to avoid, importance of certain stuff like milk for example.

I was avoiding milk for a while because I didn't wanna support the large manufacturers and I began to feel very bad, head pains and what not, had to come back to it.

It would also be nice if you commented on veganism, if you know anything about it.

I made a post about nutrition in one of TBTL's threats.

An interesting video about pepsi coke and Amitabh Bachan:
http://youtu.be/-mJNExTIVS4

paul59539
29 November 2013, 10:07 PM
I found this one hope it helps:
When somebody drinks a Coke, watch what happens.
- In The First 10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system. (100% of your recommended daily intake.) You don’t immediately vomit from the overwhelming sweetness because phosphoric acid cuts the flavor allowing you to keep it down.
- 20 minutes: Your blood sugar spikes, causing an insulin burst. Your liver responds to this by turning any sugar it can get its hands on into fat. (There’s plenty of that at this particular moment)
- 40 minutes: Caffeine absorption is complete. Your pupils dilate, your blood pressure rises, as a response your livers dumps more sugar into your bloodstream. The adenosine receptors in your brain are now blocked preventing drowsiness.
- 45 minutes: Your body ups your dopamine production stimulating the pleasure centers of your brain. This is physically the same way heroin works, by the way.
- In just over 60 minutes: The phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium and zinc in your lower intestine, providing a further boost in metabolism. This is compounded by high doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners also increasing the urinary excretion of calcium.
- In just over 60 Minutes: The caffeine’s diuretic properties come into play. (It makes you have to pee.) It is now assured that you’ll evacuate the bonded calcium, magnesium and zinc that was headed to your bones as well as sodium, electrolyte and water.
- In just over 60 minutes: As the rave inside of you dies down you’ll start to have a sugar crash. You may become irritable and/or sluggish. You’ve also now, literally, pissed away all the water that was in the Coke. But not before infusing it with valuable nutrients your body could have used for things like even having the ability to hydrate your system or build strong bones and teeth.

Eastern Mind
02 December 2013, 04:49 PM
I found this one hope it helps:
When somebody drinks a Coke, watch what happens.
- In The First 10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system. (100% of your recommended daily intake.) You don’t immediately vomit from the overwhelming sweetness because phosphoric acid cuts the flavor allowing you to keep it down.
- 20 minutes: Your blood sugar spikes, causing an insulin burst. Your liver responds to this by turning any sugar it can get its hands on into fat. (There’s plenty of that at this particular moment)
- 40 minutes: Caffeine absorption is complete. Your pupils dilate, your blood pressure rises, as a response your livers dumps more sugar into your bloodstream. The adenosine receptors in your brain are now blocked preventing drowsiness.
- 45 minutes: Your body ups your dopamine production stimulating the pleasure centers of your brain. This is physically the same way heroin works, by the way.
- In just over 60 minutes: The phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium and zinc in your lower intestine, providing a further boost in metabolism. This is compounded by high doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners also increasing the urinary excretion of calcium.
- In just over 60 Minutes: The caffeine’s diuretic properties come into play. (It makes you have to pee.) It is now assured that you’ll evacuate the bonded calcium, magnesium and zinc that was headed to your bones as well as sodium, electrolyte and water.
- In just over 60 minutes: As the rave inside of you dies down you’ll start to have a sugar crash. You may become irritable and/or sluggish. You’ve also now, literally, pissed away all the water that was in the Coke. But not before infusing it with valuable nutrients your body could have used for things like even having the ability to hydrate your system or build strong bones and teeth.

Vannakkam: Welcome to these forums, BTW. No wonder I can't drink even half a pop any more without feeling ridiculously ill.

Aum Namasivaya