PDA

View Full Version : Niyama 2 Santosha, Contentment

Eastern Mind
27 June 2010, 12:50 PM
Vannakkam

From http://veda.wikidot.com/yama-niyama

NIYAMA 2 — Santosha, Contentment

"Nurture contentment, seeking joy and serenity in life. Be happy, smile and uplift others. Live in constant gratitude for your health, your friends and your belongings, Don't complain about what you don't possess. Identify with the eternal You, rather than mind, body or emotions. Keep the mountaintop view that life is an opportunity for spiritual progress. Live in the eternal now."

I find the observances more difficult than the restraints, as they somehow seem less necessary, or optional in a sense. Pity the type A personality with this one.

One of the small things I have learned is to be comfortable in silence, even in the company of another person. Gratitude and appreciation are something we need to teach to our children. it doesn't necessarily come naturally. But living in the eternal now is really hard for me. Dropping the past is a bit easier, but the future gets me unnecessarily going in circles some days. The good thing is it makes me a decent planner of events, which has come in handy.

Aum Namasivaya

NayaSurya
28 June 2010, 09:59 AM
I have joy in this physical reality. I smile all the time, because remembering the past and knowing how south things can go then realizing we have reached a hilltop gives you certain understanding that this is not the norm for life.

But, even with all this beautiful calm bliss I have around me watching the bird lay eggs...and flowers bloom. I can not find peace inside. I asked this question the other day..."Why would the dog be taught to read, to speak to humans...only to be left in the kennel?"

I thought about this several days and decided that despite whatever knowledge the dog recieves...no matter how elaborate his tricks...he is still a dog and belongs amongst them.

I may never know peace in the spiritual sense. It's something I have to reconcile with daily.

Peace of home, peace of heart...I have found with abundance.

It's this third final peace...the most crucial of all that seems to escape me.

Eastern Mind
28 June 2010, 01:15 PM
Vannakam Naya:

I think that type of contentment only comes with Self-Realisation. But still we have some peace of mind, some of the time anyway. At least until the next time some kid hollers or the tummy growls from hunger.

Aum Namasivaya