PDA

View Full Version : Sahasranama

Ramakrishna
29 June 2010, 06:22 PM
Namaste,

Does anybody here recite the Sahasranama for any particular deity? I am thinking of incorporating the chanting of the Vishnu Sahasranama as part of my sadhana. I know that there is Shiva Sahasranama and Ganesha Sahasranama as well, so this is not confined to any one sect.

Does anybody here chant any of the the Sahasranamas or know of any resources with a complete list of names?

Jai Sri Krishna

Ramakrishna
01 July 2010, 01:17 PM
Namaste,

I assumed that at least someone here could have helped me! Or is Sahasranama a rare practice that people don't really chant anymore?

For those of you that don't know, Sahasranama is the 1,000+ names for a specific deity.

Jai Sri Krishna

Eastern Mind
01 July 2010, 01:39 PM
Vannakam Ramakrishna

It is a puja that a lot of people buy at the temples. There are links on here to lists as well. I found Ganesha's the other day after your first post. It took awhile though. Will try again. I used to do 108.

Aum Namasivaya

Ramakrishna
01 July 2010, 02:34 PM
Vannakam Ramakrishna

It is a puja that a lot of people buy at the temples. There are links on here to lists as well. I found Ganesha's the other day after your first post. It took awhile though. Will try again. I used to do 108.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste Eastern Mindji,

From what I read, I thought Sahasranama was just chanting the holy names. When you used to do 108, there was a puja you performed while chanting the holy names?

Thanks for the help

Jai Sri Krishna

isavasya
01 July 2010, 02:48 PM
Namaste,

Does anybody here chant any of the the Sahasranamas or know of any resources with a complete list of names?

Jai Sri Krishna

dear ramkrishna ji,

This is a wonderful website with adi shankara's commentary on all the 1000 names of vishnu sahashranama. I hope it will be beneficial to you.
http://www.ecse.rpi.edu/Homepages/shivkuma/personal/music/vishnu-sahasranamam-meanings.htm

I don't chant it, but I listen to it some times, it's very powerful. Vishnu sahashranama comes in anushashana parva of mahabharata, it is recited by bheeshm ji to yudhisthira, also afterwards in same parva, lord krishna recites shiva sahashranama.

You can find, it's chanting on internet.

Eastern Mind
01 July 2010, 03:44 PM
Namaste Eastern Mindji,

From what I read, I thought Sahasranama was just chanting the holy names. When you used to do 108, there was a puja you performed while chanting the holy names?

Thanks for the help

Jai Sri Krishna

Vannakkam:

Yes it is within a longer puja, called atmartha puja in my lineage. You offer a flower each time you say a name. I have done it for Siva, and Ganesha, back in what seems like another lifetime now when I was pandaram here. Saying the names of God while offering flowers, I though was fairly standard. Here is the one I used. The name bit is closer to the end. http://www.himalayanacademy.com/audio/chants/ganesha_puja/

Aum Namasivaya

Ramakrishna
01 July 2010, 10:50 PM
dear ramkrishna ji,

This is a wonderful website with adi shankara's commentary on all the 1000 names of vishnu sahashranama. I hope it will be beneficial to you.
http://www.ecse.rpi.edu/Homepages/shivkuma/personal/music/vishnu-sahasranamam-meanings.htm

I don't chant it, but I listen to it some times, it's very powerful. Vishnu sahashranama comes in anushashana parva of mahabharata, it is recited by bheeshm ji to yudhisthira, also afterwards in same parva, lord krishna recites shiva sahashranama.

You can find, it's chanting on internet.

Namaste isavasyaji,

Thank you very much! That is exactly what I was looking for and more. I'm sure this will be very beneficial to me as I incorporate it into my sadhana.

Thanks again.

Jai Sri Krishna

Ramakrishna
01 July 2010, 11:49 PM
Vannakkam:

Yes it is within a longer puja, called atmartha puja in my lineage. You offer a flower each time you say a name. I have done it for Siva, and Ganesha, back in what seems like another lifetime now when I was pandaram here. Saying the names of God while offering flowers, I though was fairly standard. Here is the one I used. The name bit is closer to the end. http://www.himalayanacademy.com/audio/chants/ganesha_puja/

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste Eastern Mindji,

Thanks a lot! Now I have Vishnu Sahasranama and Ganesha Sahasranama. I'm looking forward to chanting them and I'll also do the puja sometime.

A flower for each name? That's a lot of flowers! Maybe I'll use grains of rice instead :D

Jai Sri Krishna

sanjaya
03 July 2010, 12:52 AM
My father has recently been teaching me how to recite the Vishnu Sahasranama. Unfortunately since I don't live at home it's a slow process. He's able to recite all 1008 names of Sri Vishnu without even glancing at the paper. I don't know that I'd ever be that well-practiced. Seriously, how do you guys do this?

Sahasranama
03 July 2010, 02:46 AM
Here's one of my older post on the Vishnu Sahasranama with some links:

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=43916&postcount=9

My favorite sahasranamas are Vishnu Sahasranama and Lalita Sahasranama. I don't chant them daily, but when I feel like it.

The precursor of all sahasranamas is the vedic Shatarudriya which lists 300 names of Rudra.

Ramakrishna
03 July 2010, 01:24 PM
My father has recently been teaching me how to recite the Vishnu Sahasranama. Unfortunately since I don't live at home it's a slow process. He's able to recite all 1008 names of Sri Vishnu without even glancing at the paper. I don't know that I'd ever be that well-practiced. Seriously, how do you guys do this?

Namaste sanjaya,

Wow! That is quite an accomplishment. I assume he's been reciting it for many years now? I can imagine that's the only way one can be able to chant all 1,008 names without even glancing at the paper. Years and years of practice.

Hopefully you and I will be near that level someday :)

Jai Sri Krishna

Ramakrishna
03 July 2010, 01:27 PM
Here's one of my older post on the Vishnu Sahasranama with some links:

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=43916&postcount=9

My favorite sahasranamas are Vishnu Sahasranama and Lalita Sahasranama. I don't chant them daily, but when I feel like it.

The precursor of all sahasranamas is the vedic Shatarudriya which lists 300 names of Rudra.

Namaste Sahasranama,

Thank you for that. I had a feeling you would know something about the sahasranamas.

Jai Sri Krishna

Arjuni
15 April 2011, 01:24 AM
Namasté, all,

I'm late to this thread, but I laughed to see Sanjaya's how do people do that?! post; that was my exact reaction to people who can chant a sahasranāma from memory. When I feel overwhelmed by the seeming impossibility of learning a thousand of anything, though, I remind myself that we all unconsciously memorise huge amounts of far-less-significant text daily. Just think of all of the stupid song lyrics, advertising logos and jingles, and other nonsensical word-patterns that worm themselves into our memories! How much more powerful is the mind when harnessed upon something it actually loves and wants to know...

Ramakrishna, since you asked for resources, a lengthy discourse on the Viṣṇu Sahasranāma is here (http://ancientindians.wordpress.com/ancient-beings-people-tribes-races/the-god-of-the-devas/avatars-of-vishnu/vishnu-sahasranamam/). And the Indra Sahasranāma of Sri Kāvyakaṇṭha is hosted on the same site, here (http://ancientindians.wordpress.com/2011/01/25/indra-sahasranama-of-kavyakantha/); I'll provide the stotram as well if there's interest.

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Sahasranama
15 April 2011, 02:31 AM
I have read somewhere from an Indian that most people will be able to memorise a Sahasranama stotra easily after chanting it daily for one or two weeks. I have not been so consistent with any stotra, because I often change my mind about what stotra I will chant.

Adhvagat
15 April 2011, 02:49 AM
Is this stotra reciting part of a sadhana more like in a meditative manner or a more studying manner? Or either depending on preference?

Sahasranama
15 April 2011, 02:54 AM
Is this stotra reciting part of a sadhana more like in a meditative manner or a more studying manner? Or either depending on preference?

Anyway you like it, you can use the individual names in puja to offer flowers or you can meditate on the individual names as a large mala with AUM...... namah etc, the 1000 names become a mala of names. You can also do agnihotra with these names AUM ...... svaha. You can chant it as a stotra in front of the deity or use it as kirtana or meditation. You can also take up the commentaries and study the meaning of individual names. You can also listen to it, some people have made great music out of these sahasranama stotras, especially the lalitha sahasranama stotra in south India has been used a lot for musical renditions. If you try to memorise it, it will be a good mental exercise. Some Sanskrit teachers in the past used to have their students memorise the Vishnu Sahasranama stotra before they started the study of Sanskrit.

sanjaya
15 April 2011, 09:33 AM
Hopefully you and I will be near that level someday :)

Jai Sri Krishna

I hope so too.

Here, nine months after this thread started, I still need to see the words on paper to recite it. I guess I've never been that good at memorization, but I'm still going to keep trying!

By the way Indraneela, thanks for the link!

Ramakrishna
22 February 2013, 10:21 PM
Sita Ram,

Can anybody kindly provide an audio rendition of Ganesha Sahasranama?

Thank you.

Hail the Lord of Obstacles,
Who makes us stronger!

Jai Sri Ganesh!

ShriBala
23 February 2013, 05:51 PM
Deleted...

Ramakrishna
25 February 2013, 11:10 PM
Namaste ShriBala,

Jai Shri Ram!

Are you looking for some specific rendition as this is pretty widely available on YT and also an audio only mp3?
For example, www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DIZIYM_tQo . Plenty of free, online converters available to extract the mp3 out of a YT video.

Thank you. I have seen Youtube videos of Ganesha Sahasranama, but they vary greatly, with each in different orders and large differentials in total length. From my understanding, there are two major versions of this sahasranama. One version is from the Ganesha Purana and the other is completely different, with each name beginning with 'g'. I find it difficult to tell which version is being chanted and also the wholeness of each rendition. Coinciding with this is my difficulty in finding complete English text lists of the sahasranama, with most in varying orders and extending to no more than 108 names. In essence, I am seeking a rendition of the Ganesha Sahasranama that I can 'follow along with'; one that coincides with a textual form of the chanting. I am quite surprised at the seeming lack of availability for such an organized, coherent form and rendition of this sahasranama, put perhaps my longings are toO specific, and/or this sahasranama just is not as popularly available as others.

Jai Sri Ram