PDA

View Full Version : SRF Vaishnava?

xAtlasx
30 June 2010, 01:11 PM
Hey all! I'm pretty new and I have a question...

The Self-realization Fellowship founded by Paramahansa Yogananda is considered a non-sectarian organization by most outside observers, but I'm wondering if their traditions of Kriya Yoga or their lineage masters are Vaishnavas? Does anyone know or have a guess?

Thanks!

Eastern Mind
30 June 2010, 01:20 PM
Vannakkam xAtlasx:

Currently SRF is pretty much Christian. Not sure about Yogananda though. He tailored some of the teachings to Christians and that sort of took over after his passing. Not your fire and brimstone types though.

Aum Namasivaya

xAtlasx
30 June 2010, 01:28 PM
Yeah, they do alot of interfaith stuff, definitely comes from yogananda's guru I think.

So you don't really have an idea about whether or not they prefer Shiva, Krishna or others?

Eastern Mind
30 June 2010, 01:38 PM
Vannakkam Atlas: Why don't you write them and ask? I do know there is a wide variety in gthe disciples of Yogananda as well, from Yogi Ramiah to Marshall Govinden to Roy Eugene Davis. Have you read 'Autobiography of a Yogi"? Surely there are hints in there.

I do find your question a bit curious as to why it would matter to you.

Aum Namasivaya

xAtlasx
30 June 2010, 01:49 PM
It doesn't really matter, I'm only curious.

I've read the Auto-Biography of a Yogi a couple of times now, it's one of my favorite books.

Yogananda seems to speak of the Divine Mother quite often, but rarely makes mention of any specific deity, the only clue I got was Lahiri Mahasaya saying his guru Babaji IS Krishna.

But it's not important :P