PDA

View Full Version : Self or No Self

mdat
01 July 2010, 06:34 AM
All,

This is my first post as a new member of HDF. Because my ignorance is so complete regarding Hinduism in general, most of my posts will likely come in the form of a question. Thank you for any guidance if my post be found in the wrong forum.

Is it true that there is no "I" or "You" in Hinduism; no "self" or "self-worth"; that all is one ? I've heard this and/or read it at some point.

What I mean to say is, we are not posting this question to ourselves. Rather I am posting it to you all. And the fact that my question has meaning and (hopefully) is meaningfully stated suggests that there is self worth in not only knowledge exchange but in in many other areas too.

Isn't it a false statement that you and I are one -- that you and I posess no self worth?

mdat

devotee
01 July 2010, 10:06 AM
Namaste mdat,

Is it true that there is no "I" or "You" in Hinduism; no "self" or "self-worth"; that all is one ?

No. I think you have simply heard/learnt a few terms from Buddhism, that is all. Your idea of Hinduism & Buddhism too is almost "Nil". You may go through some of the threads here to understand what is in store for you.

What I mean to say is, we are not posting this question to ourselves. Rather I am posting it to you all. And the fact that my question has meaning and (hopefully) is meaningfully stated suggests that there is self worth in not only knowledge exchange but in in many other areas too.

Isn't it a false statement that you and I are one -- that you and I posess no self worth?

Your question doesn't make any sense. How can you have no self-worth ? "No-self" is a concept in Buddhism & at some level it joins Hinduism too in Advaita. However, it is such a difficult thing to understand & explain that I would advise you not to rush through if you are really & genuinely interested. This philosophy is not for everyone but only for people having achieved some level of understanding of Advaita or Buddhism.

I would advise you to go through a few threads in Advaita forums to start with if you are intersted in Advaita of Hinduism & to go to Buddhists' website if you are interested in Buddhism.

OM

Ekanta
01 July 2010, 12:31 PM
In the original buddhist scriptures no-self is always said about the 5 skandas, i.e. "those are not my-self (an-atman)". In buddhism there never was a doctrine of “no-Self”, but a doctrine of “what the Self is not”.
The same is said in hinduism. "I am not body, senses, mind, ego etc... "

In the world of religion there are two selves... one is the non-associated witness [atman] and the other is the associated witness [an-atman] (i.e. the ego which arises when identifying with the body/mind).

When you talk about "self-worth" you have to take this into consideration.

NayaSurya
01 July 2010, 05:32 PM
These comments below are my own personal beliefs...only mine...and since I am the ignorant fool you can disregard them if they seem silly and I will never mind<3

You and I are cut from the same cosmic cloth...but, we still have value.

It's like a quilt made up of billions of beautiful individual pieces.

Each one has worth. It doesn't make is less valuable that it is connected intrinsically to this wonderous whole. It infact makes every piece even more precious.

You and I are from the same Being, manifesting in a billion different ways.

It does not make us less valuable that we are connected in such a way.

Truly, the sooner one can realize that we are related in such a wonderous way...the more valuable each piece becomes.

You begin to understand that how I treat you is how I treat Him.

As far as I can see...we each have our own personality to a point. The closer we get to that perfection that is required to return to the whole....the more we lose our ability to dwell within the gross physical reality that is normal life on earth.

This is one of those things I have issue with especially. Because I am simply not willing to move on past service...and devotion.

It reminds me of the last day of school...as a child I always had difficulty with this day. The friends I had made on the military base elementary school would always have to move on to a new base. My Father was perm stationed on the base so I stayed while new and old friends left.

I would drag my heals stay behind trying desperately to not leave this moment...and lose close friends.

This is the way our lifetimes play out....

We are one, we are many...it is up to each of us to accept this or stay behind. For now, I stay....I am far too fond of love, passion...blue skies...and sunny afternoons. The kiss from a child....and the crayon colored Valentine.

and singing to Beloved Siva<3