PDA

View Full Version : Skull is dust at your feet.

Skull
02 July 2010, 03:00 PM
Always admired Indian spirituality and many of your sages; Sri Jnanadeva, Lahiri Mahasay, Rama, Krishna, Rishi Vasishta and their inspiring texts.

Took refuge in the Triple Jewel of Buddha, Dharma & Sangha over 30 years ago.

Look forward to exploring you postings!

Eastern Mind
02 July 2010, 04:22 PM
Vannakkam:

Welcome to HDF. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Aum Namasivaya

devotee
02 July 2010, 07:39 PM
Always admired Indian spirituality and many of your sages; Sri Jnanadeva, Lahiri Mahasay, Rama, Krishna, Rishi Vasishta and their inspiring texts.

Took refuge in the Triple Jewel of Buddha, Dharma & Sangha over 30 years ago.

Look forward to exploring you postings!

You are most welcome, Skull ! :)

OM

Ekanta
02 July 2010, 08:04 PM
Hi and welcome Skull. Im a former buddhist myself.

Skull
02 July 2010, 08:51 PM
Hi and welcome Skull. Im a former buddhist myself.

What happened Ekanta? How long were you a Buddhist? Did you actually have a formal refuge ceremony and a guru?

Ramakrishna
03 July 2010, 12:21 AM
Namaste Skull,

Welcome to HDF! I hope you learn a lot about Sanatana Dharma here.

Jai Sri Krishna

yajvan
03 July 2010, 05:02 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~~

namasté & hello skull,

One name for śīva is kapāline ... we say oṁ kapāline namaḥ (ॐकपालिनेनमः) or oṁ I bow (salutations) to kapālin , the Wielder of a skull-bowl

'ka' is rich in meaning. For this application it means the head. kapala means half or part. If we look at kāpālika it means belonging or related to the skull.
pālin is defined as ruler, protector, or pāli and also means protector, yet it also means a pot ~ bowl.Śiva is hailed as kapālin the wielder of the head (ka) bowl (pāli). Consider kapala and we get 1/2 of the 'ka' or 1/2 of the head, hence a bowl looking object, the skull.

And just a bit deeper this word that bridges ka + pali is kap कप्. This kap brings us to krap which is rooted in kṛp कृप् to morn or grieve.

So the this mantra I began with is śīva being hailed as kapālin the wielder of the skull (ka) bowl (pāli). It's my opinion this kṛp is significant as it suggests to me that ka (the head) is after death, when one grieves i.e. which makes it a skull.

Any how - thought you may appreciate the significance of your choice of 'skull' to things we may discuss here on HDF.

praṇām

Skull
03 July 2010, 05:11 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~~

namasté & hello skull,

One name for śīva is kapāline ... we say oṁ kapāline namaḥ (ॐकपालिनेनमः) or oṁ I bow (salutations) to kapālin , the Wielder of a skull-bowl

'ka' is rich in meaning. For this application it means the head. kapala means half or part. If we look at kāpālika it means belonging or related to the skull.
pālin is defined as ruler, protector, or pāli and also means protector, yet it also means a pot ~ bowl.Śiva is hailed as kapālin the wielder of the head (ka) bowl (pāli). Consider kapala and we get 1/2 of the 'ka' or 1/2 of the head, hence a bowl looking object, the skull.

And just a bit deeper this word that bridges ka + pali is kap कप्. This kap brings us to krap which is rooted in kṛp कृप् to morn or grieve.

So the this mantra I began with is śīva being hailed as kapālin the wielder of the skull (ka) bowl (pāli). It's my opinion this kṛp is significant as it suggests to me that ka (the head) is after death, when one grieves i.e. which makes it a skull.

Any how - thought you may appreciate the significance of your choice of 'skull' to things we may discuss here on HDF.

praṇām

Thanks yajvan - very edifying.

I chose the name because it reminds me of death & impermanence - a good motive to practice the buddhadharma.