PDA

View Full Version : Meanings of the words Parmathma and Sarvathma.

upsydownyupsy mv ss
03 July 2010, 08:40 AM
I've come across the phrases addressing the word 'Sarvathma' as 'Bhagavan' and addressing 'Parmathma' as 'Devata'. I always taught both words meant the same, so would anyone who is good at Sanskrith and philosophies be kind to tell me the meanings of these 2 words? :)

devotee
03 July 2010, 10:43 AM
I've come across the phrases addressing the word 'Sarvathma' as 'Bhagavan' and addressing 'Parmathma' as 'Devata'. I always taught both words meant the same, so would anyone who is good at Sanskrith and philosophies be kind to tell me the meanings of these 2 words? :)

Namaste SS,

Let me try :

Sarvathma = Sarva (all) + Atma (Self) ===> Which is the Self of all beings i.e. Self or Cosmic Consciousness, The Reality, The Infinite, Shiva, Vishnu ...

Bhagwan = Lord === > This also is non-different from Sarvathma. Lord Krishna tells in Gita : Aham Atma gudakesha sarva bhootashya sthitah ( I am the Self residing in the heart of all beings). Though Bhagwan is used in addressing Saguna Brahman alone but basically these are non-different.

Paramatma ==> Param (Supreme) + Atma (Self) ===> This is again used for Self (different from self i.e. individual self the Jiva). This is again not different from Sarvathma or Bhagwan

Devatha = the luminous beings or celestial beings in subtle worlds who have powers over natural forces like Indra, Vayu, Agni etc. Normally, it is not used for Bhagwaan but you may find usage of this word for Bhagwan & Paramtma too in some places due to liberal usage but that, imho, is erroneous.

OM