PDA

View Full Version : Hi

HumaneVitae
04 July 2010, 07:17 PM
Hi, I am just trying to learn and sort out a few issues of my own, I believe in most Hindu things, but I always had a bit of trouble with the idea of the brahman, I always thought of it as like the Dao (if any of you know about Daoism) a force that is unkownable, create good and evil and its not a god. But that is not exactly what the Vedas say.

goodlife
05 July 2010, 01:12 AM
Hi and welcome.

Brahman is unknown.is creator yet unattached to its actions. so in effect not god as mostly is believed. god needs to be tangible, seeable, oen you can get attached to..which you cant with Brahman. so yes in those terms Brahman is not god. brahman expressed in material is god as we know it.

others could explain better

Eastern Mind
05 July 2010, 07:00 AM
Vannakkam HV:

For starters, Hindus don't normally see the world in terms of good and evil, so that's a subtle difference right up front. Brahman would be the underlying causal force of all, with no distinction or quality put onto any manifestation,

Aum Namasivaya

yajvan
05 July 2010, 11:29 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~

namasté humanvitae,

Hi, I am just trying to learn and sort out a few issues of my own, I believe in most Hindu things, but I always had a bit of trouble with the idea of the brahman, I always thought of it as like the Dao (if any of you know about Daoism) a force that is unkownable, create good and evil and its not a god. But that is not exactly what the Vedas say.

First and foremost, welcome to HDF. I think you will find a wealth of information on this brahman¹. It would be wise to see for yourself what the upaniṣads and other śāstra-s offer on this most noble Being.
That is, many on HDF will do the best we can do to offer many salient views, yet nothing beats reading for one's self . You will find or perhaps have already found that brahman is indescribable, yet for meager humans ( such as myself) we do the best we can to comprehend this Being. Just in that alone our awareness is stretched and expanded.

You will find brahman as sound ( śabda ) or the actual mantra's of the ved, and you will find this brahman as nirguṇa (without qualities i.e. unmanifest) and saguṇa ( with qualities, manifest). Yet even this is only 1/4th of this Being say the wise.

So, I wish you the best on your exploration and hope in some small way HDF will be able to accompany or at least add value to your understanding.

praṇām
1. One HDF post to consider: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3077&highlight=ocean+knowledge

Ramakrishna
05 July 2010, 04:37 PM
Namaste HumaneVitae,

Welcome to HDF. Hopefully you will learn a lot here.

For me personally, studying Nirguna Brahman and Saguna Brahman really led to a better understanding of Brahman as a whole. Yajvanji also mentions these in his post.

Jai Sri Krishna