PDA

View Full Version : Discussion on Desires

yajvan
07 October 2006, 06:58 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~
Namaste,

Many write on this notion of suppressing ( even stamping out) ones desires ( or Kama 'kaam' to desire). I find this curious. If I may, I believe there are a few points to consider here if you care to banter about a few concepts and ideas.

If one is a mumuksu - or the seeker with the (burning) desire for moksha or kaivalya (liberation) is this not a noteworthy goal based on the fundamental desire for enlightenment? Is this a desire to stamp out?

Is there an action that you perform today that does not start at the subtest level - an impulse to do something? Then the body-mind acts to pursue it. These are desires. Even the circular logic to desire not to have desires needs consideration.

At the most refined level , a desire starts with an impulse. Sometimes not even verbalized in your internal dialog. So, stopping this whole process seems almost impossible. These desires, in part, are remains of past impressions, and we are making more along the way e.g. vasana's.

So, how does one ponder this? Could it be that desires increase more attachment of the senses to the objects? The tighter the 'coupling' of the seer ( that's you ) to the seen ( the objects around us) the more we perpetuate ignorance! Ignorance of what? That I am not the things around me, nor am I really this body made of the 5 tattvas ( elements) This has been the name given avidya or the opposite of knowledge, ignorance. Hence when the sage says 'renounce the world' - its considered a call for withdrawal. Yet the sages are saying renounce that you are not that which you see , neti-neti!!! they proclaim, not this ! not this! You are not this that you see, you are the SELF , unbounded whole.

We break down this ignorance of cause and affect by allowing our awareness (our desire to meditate) to experience this Silence, this infinite stillness ( also called Siva). We allow our attention to settle down and experience more then the most - this infinite bliss (some call Being). We convert 'possession of things' for the 'possession of the SELF' ... done innocently. This, when accomplished quenches all desires yet is essentially a sattvic(pure) desire, but a desire none the less.

The Upanishads proclaim upon reaching this kaivalya ( some call Dharma-mega or cloud-pouring virtue) all desires are then fulfilled.
What's this - Another round of desire chasing even in enlightenment?? When one achieves moksha to its fullest bloom (this is Brahman Consciousness) one becomes the fabric of creation -there is no-thing in time or space you are not. (I'd say that would be a profound experience). Hence you are everything at all times, all within the SELF that permeates everywhere.
If you are everything, what can you possible want to possess? What action could you be taking that is NOT being taking place on the level of humans, the gods ( code name for the collective total of the senses), the devas, at every level of creation? This is the experience the Upanishads point to; Fullness and Wholeness, one without a second.

When one has this experience, s/he needs some coaching from another to explain this, yet it boils down to I Am That, Thou art That, all This is That. That what? the complete , no edged, no end, consciousness that permeates everywhere.
Of what use would a desire be to this Being? All desires are fulfilled because you have now become the ocean of fulfilling those desires and you are one and same.

pranams,