PDA

View Full Version : Dreams & Karma

Paris-Izi
19 July 2010, 10:46 AM
Namaste.

I had a dream two nights ago in which I resisted temptation. Although this resistance took place in a dream whilst asleep, I was wondering if, having resisted the desire, I had none the less resisted the germination of bad karma seeds.

I reasoned the following:
That when opportunity is ripe, the seeds of karma germinate into desires.
We then either succomb to, or resist, these desires.
Since it just so happens that those particular seeds of Karma germinate into desires in my dream (presumably, because the opportunity is ripe for them to do so), these desires must be resisted just as they should be resisted when awake.

I recall the following:
That at will, a rishi might materialise, either in dreams or in a wakefull state, ripe circumstances for karmic seeds to germinate, which he himself, or perhaps another, can then go on to resist; there by freeing himself (or affording another the same opportunity) from the chains of future karma.

What does the forum think? Can we break the bonds of Karma in dreams as well as when awake?

Eastern Mind
20 July 2010, 05:34 AM
Vannakkam Paris - Izi:

Personally, my guess is that you have programmed your mind sufficiently on the conscious plane to have it also happen in the dream world. Dreams are most often reflections of your subconscious. I remember regarding sex within marriage how after about 5 years of marriage I'd have some dream where a stranger would come along and attempt seduction, but in the dream I'd refuse it and say, "I can't" because I was married. But in the adolescent years, and very early years of marriage, even though of course I'd not be tempted consciously, I could be in the dream world.

So it is a progressive thing.

Aum Namasivaya

NayaSurya
20 July 2010, 07:46 AM
This will sound silly-

But, sometimes turning down a dream lover is much harder than in real life.

Let me explain. Sex is messy...even with a stranger. You could get a disease...or they could kill you. This world is full of crazy people who would harm you on your way to Walmart...sex is a state of exposure or being vulnerable.

So so so many times I have been offered other men in this life time. Most of them many years younger than I. The most memorable was one whom was my own age. My crush in highschool. He was one of the most handsome men in my school...every girl attached to his side. Being wise...I only befriended such a creature...knowing that young men with so many girls would not be a very good boyfriend. Upon our 10 year reunion he would not leave my side.

He was drawn to me so strongly that my husband began a friendship with him. My exhusband was a blantant cheater, disappear for weeks with a new woman leaving the pretty wife pregnant with 3 other children at her feet to care for. This young man begged me for my hand. Came to me when the husband was on a week long string of lovers. The moment echo through past things and I simply told this sweet young man..."I am not my Mother. We are more than animals." He was confused by this, but some of you wont be. I asked him to leave my home and never allowed him back in.

This moment of temptation has repeated itself many times. They see a pretty girl, but do not understand controling the animal was my first lesson this life.

Physical sex is messy, complicated and damages children.

But dream lovers, it's easy to entertain the thought. There is no physical reprocussion...no evidence...and you could even rationalise that it never happened or you weren't in control?

So I think, often times dream temptations are the hardest and most high temptations. I would say those dream relations are far less complicated than actual secondary relationships and if you were able to turn the opportunity away, it's a very good thing.<3

-Aashna_Namaste-
20 July 2010, 12:55 PM
Namaste.

I had a dream two nights ago in which I resisted temptation. Although this resistance took place in a dream whilst asleep, I was wondering if, having resisted the desire, I had none the less resisted the germination of bad karma seeds.

I reasoned the following:
That when opportunity is ripe, the seeds of karma germinate into desires.
We then either succomb to, or resist, these desires.
Since it just so happens that those particular seeds of Karma germinate into desires in my dream (presumably, because the opportunity is ripe for them to do so), these desires must be resisted just as they should be resisted when awake.

I recall the following:
That at will, a rishi might materialise, either in dreams or in a wakefull state, ripe circumstances for karmic seeds to germinate, which he himself, or perhaps another, can then go on to resist; there by freeing himself (or affording another the same opportunity) from the chains of future karma.

What does the forum think? Can we break the bonds of Karma in dreams as well as when awake?

Namaste,
I was wondering the same thing. I been having a lot of dreams dealing with hindu gods and the like. But, it's hard for me to interpret dreams. I don't know if this is on topic but..."How Can Dreams Be Interpreted (for example, what is the hidden message behind dreams)?"

Eastern Mind
20 July 2010, 01:00 PM
Vannakkam:

Yes it would seem dream adultery would be much less risky: no unwanted pregnancy, no disease, easy to not get caught, imagine whatever beauty in your lover your heart (instinct) might desire, the kids wouldn't be hurt, noisy neighbours wouldn't know, you wouldn't lose friends, no angry wife, ....http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/images/icons/icon7.gif Wow. Tons of advantages, really.

But if the mind is programmed against it, so it is, you still get just about there, and " Oops, I can't do this. I'm a married man."

The instincts are so funny to watch. I used to watch the grade 8s and 9s get all twitterpated, and half the time they never even knew what was going on.

"You mean, that's why she was doing that?"

Aum Namasivaya

saidevo
20 July 2010, 10:09 PM
Found some links to explanation about dreams, could be useful:
Dream
by svAmi SivAnanda
http://www.dlshq.org/messages/dream.htm#karma

Sleep Dreams and Spiritual Consciousness
by PanDit ShrIrAm Sharma
http://literature.awgp.org/englishbook/Scientific_Spirituality/Sleep_Dreams_Spiritual/

An Insight into Dreams
by Lalita Kuppuswamy
http://www.journalofastrology.com/article.php?category_id=1&article_id=151

Dreams
Western interpretations
http://www.crystalinks.com/dreams.html

Dreams: What they are and how they are caused
by CW Leadbeater
file://localhost/D:/svAdhyAyaSkt/Sanskrit09/Theosophy/CWL/8703619-Leadbeater-Dreams-What-they-are-and-how-they-are-caused.pdf

Understanding Dreams
http://www.ondreaming.com/theories/index.htm

Eastern Mind
21 July 2010, 07:20 AM
Vannakkam Aashna Namaste:

There is also the point of view that there is no need at all to analyse dreams. Just let them go. If you a re a devout person, dreams are just a method of the inner mind to 'clear things up'.

This point of view also hiunts that dream analysis can actually be detrimental to spiritual progress, as whatever it is that is being cleared up gets reformed by the analysis.

Just thought I'd offer up this alternative.

Aum Namasivaya

Paris-Izi
22 July 2010, 08:06 AM
Vannakkam Aashna Namaste:

There is also the point of view that there is no need at all to analyse dreams. Just let them go. If you a re a devout person, dreams are just a method of the inner mind to 'clear things up'.

This point of view also hiunts that dream analysis can actually be detrimental to spiritual progress, as whatever it is that is being cleared up gets reformed by the analysis.

Just thought I'd offer up this alternative.

Aum Namasivaya

Interesting. I wonder if the proponant of such a view would even suggest that there are such things as 'good' and 'bad' dream actions...

I must say that I have often felt very guilty regarding some of the actions I have performed in dreamland. In order to justify these feelings in some way I have often, so to speak, sought 'redemption' through analysis'; perhaps unwisely.

The suggestion that we dream in order to 'clear up' and not to 'reform', I find particularly interesting. Perhaps, in attempting to analyse dreams in order to avoid these feelings, we are in some sense preventing ourselves from letting go of events that have actually happened in our lives.

Eastern Mind
22 July 2010, 01:33 PM
Perhaps, in attempting to analyse dreams in order to avoid these feelings, we are in some sense preventing ourselves from letting go of events that have actually happened in our lives.

Vannakkam: Personally, This is what I believe. Still I sometimes ponder on the nature of the dream if it is particularly vivid. Other wise I just try to let it pass, knowing that the subsuperconscious mind (area of mind that contains the memories of superconscious or intuitive events) is just trying to do its job for me.

Aum Namasivaya