PDA

View Full Version : Hello all

Cytosine
20 July 2010, 06:48 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm a chemist from Ontario, Canada. I took a course on Indian philosophy a year ago, and it has created a certain interest in Hinduism and the view of life that it offers. I am not a Hindu, nor do I believe in any kind of god(s). I hope to get some questions I have answered, and hopefully have some interesting dialogue.

Namaste.

Ramakrishna
20 July 2010, 08:57 PM
Namaste Cytosine,

Welcome to HDF. This is a great place to learn about Sanatana Dharma and ask any questions you may have. So are you an atheist, or are you one of those people that describe themselves as "spiritual but not religious"?

Jai Sri Krishna

Ao
21 July 2010, 02:01 AM
Welcome! I'm sure you'll have many interesting discussions here. I have always felt very welcome to ask anything that crossed my mind, please don't hesitate to post out of a fear of being out of place or anything.

Looking forward to what you have to say. :)

Cytosine
21 July 2010, 05:30 AM
Namaste Cytosine,

Welcome to HDF. This is a great place to learn about Sanatana Dharma and ask any questions you may have. So are you an atheist, or are you one of those people that describe themselves as "spiritual but not religious"?

Jai Sri Krishna

Morning Ramakrishna (at least, where I am)

I wouldn't go with either - I'd say I lean more towards "spiritual atheism". I don't believe in god, but I do feel very much the same sort of spiritual feeling apparent in the Vedas and many other texts.

I am certainly not religious by any stretch of the imagination.

Eastern Mind
21 July 2010, 06:39 AM
Vannakkam Cytosine:

Welcome to HDF. Ontario is a great place to explore Hinduism as there is such a large NRI, Guyanese, and Sri Lankan Hindu population there. (I`m in Edmonton) Best wishes with the exploration.

Aum Namasivaya

Believer
21 July 2010, 11:28 AM
Welcome Cytosine,

It is good to have you here.
We will try hard to answer some of your questions, though at times we might fall short of the explanations you are looking for. :)

Odion
21 July 2010, 12:31 PM
Welcome to HDF :)

kallol
22 July 2010, 11:53 AM
Welcome.

You do not have to be religious to be spiritual. Pure spiritual knowledge is the end point of religions so you can jump to any point where you feel comfortable.

Love and best wishes

Ramakrishna
22 July 2010, 10:21 PM
Morning Ramakrishna (at least, where I am)

I wouldn't go with either - I'd say I lean more towards "spiritual atheism". I don't believe in god, but I do feel very much the same sort of spiritual feeling apparent in the Vedas and many other texts.

I am certainly not religious by any stretch of the imagination.

Namaste Cytosine,

As far as I know, there is an atheist school of Hinduism. You will find that in Hinduism there is room for many many different viewpoints. Such is the vastness, and such is the beauty of Sanatana Dharma.

Unfortunately, my knowledge of it only goes as far as the Wikipedia page :o http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism_in_Hinduism

It's a good starting point though. Perhaps one of the more knowledgeable members of the forum can tell you more.

Jai Sri Krishna

Believer
23 July 2010, 12:14 AM
As far as I know, there is an atheist school of Hinduism. You will find that in Hinduism there is room for many many different viewpoints. Such is the vastness, and such is the beauty of Sanatana Dharma.

I will second that. Hinduism in not a half-vast religion. ;)

Shanti
16 August 2010, 02:14 PM
Welcome, I hope you find what you are seeking :)