PDA

View Full Version : Shri Ram! Really?

Darji
21 July 2010, 02:36 PM
OK as a devotee of Shri Ram, this depresses the hell out of me

http://www.youtube.com/user/SatNamMusic#p/u/25/qsvRgSXKLsU

It's a Dutch group that sings mantra's and apparently they are a part of a new age/ neo hindu group. This is not what bothers me.

First off it is set in a church, ok no problem but once the song starts it sounds like a christian funeral song. It's sombre and contrary to the meaning of the lyrics. It's the VICTORY OF RAM! it's meant to be up lifting and celebrating and hailing the Lord's victory! The victory over our impurity of heart, mind and karma. This just makes me want to commit suicide.

I think it's great that more westerners are finding SD, but this universalistic, watered down, new age version drives me up the wall. Not saying anything bad about it, but once you start to mix too many influences the original message seems to get lost, and here the message is lost as it comes across so grim and depressing while it is supposed to be joyous!

Believer
21 July 2010, 04:07 PM
OK as a devotee of Shri Ram, this depresses the hell out of me. This just makes me want to commit suicide.

Darji, I don't think Shri Ram would like you to commit suicide in His name. ;))

Kumar_Das
21 July 2010, 04:51 PM
OK as a devotee of Shri Ram, this depresses the hell out of me

http://www.youtube.com/user/SatNamMusic#p/u/25/qsvRgSXKLsU

It's a Dutch group that sings mantra's and apparently they are a part of a new age/ neo hindu group. This is not what bothers me.

First off it is set in a church, ok no problem but once the song starts it sounds like a christian funeral song. It's sombre and contrary to the meaning of the lyrics. It's the VICTORY OF RAM! it's meant to be up lifting and celebrating and hailing the Lord's victory! The victory over our impurity of heart, mind and karma. This just makes me want to commit suicide.

I think it's great that more westerners are finding SD, but this universalistic, watered down, new age version drives me up the wall. Not saying anything bad about it, but once you start to mix too many influences the original message seems to get lost, and here the message is lost as it comes across so grim and depressing while it is supposed to be joyous!

Dear Darji,

I dont think they are doing this on purpose. Maybe you should send them a message politely telling them how you feel.

Lets just rejoice over Shri Rama's name being glorified all around the world.

New Age(ers) arent really Hindus, they steal alot from Hinduism but they repackage it by mixing Buddhism, Christianity, Kabbalah and other religions.

They take the robust logic of Hindu Monism but abandon everything else that is essentially Hinduism.(worship of devatas)

Also theres no such a thing as "Neo-"Hinduism.

Hinduism in the truest sense can never be "Neo-" because Hindus believe that their religion will always constantly stay abrest along with the evolution of the universe and deterioration of the ages. This is discussed widely in the shastras.

Veda is Apaurusheyatva(without authorship), Ajam(without a beginning), Avyayam(doesnt decrease with age), Avinasinam(indestructible) and Nityam(eternal).

Ramakrishna
21 July 2010, 09:37 PM
Namaste Darji,

I am also generally skeptical of these new age people. But I also tend to look on the bright side of things. At least they are singing in praise Lord Rama, despite the somber tone. Plus, the song does pick up towards the middle with clapping and a more uplifting tone.

I see what you are saying, though. I am opposed to taking a little bit of Hinduism and mixing it with a little bit of this and then a little bit of that and all this universalism stuff. It just leads to confusion ad really makes no sense. Nevertheless, it's still better than what a lot of other people are doing nowadays.

Jai Sri Krishna

Rasa1976
22 July 2010, 06:25 PM
I grew up Catholic and it reminds me of the Folk Mass we had to endure in the '60s.

Kum-ba-ya my Lord, Kum-ba-yaaaaaaaaa.... (sorry :o)

Riverwolf
22 July 2010, 10:09 PM
Yeah, very boring.

Great that Rama's name is being glorified, bad that singing of his victory is so... dull.

SaiShivaSupreme
30 July 2010, 11:10 AM
Dear Darji,

New Age(ers) arent really Hindus, they steal alot from Hinduism but they repackage it by mixing Buddhism, Christianity, Kabbalah and other religions.

They take the robust logic of Hindu Monism but abandon everything else that is essentially Hinduism.(worship of devatas)

This is the complete truth. Most of them only want more freedom than was given to them in their earlier years where they grew up in a mainstream Christian environment that did not give them much variety. New age people like to take broad ideas from eastern religions like reincarnation and acceptance and even things like vegetarianism which were incorporated into the religion much later.

kallol
02 August 2010, 11:30 PM
Please have mercy for the people who are not the leagues of the knowlegeable people.

Admire them for their efforts to reach out to something which is not their home culture. The devotion and the mood in the song reminds me of the songs in any of the Ashrams. I appreciate and admire them.

The route to SD can be many depending on one's mindset. It can be mixture also. The appreciation is for being able to liberate the mind to look towards the other forms of beliefs.

This song only praises Lord and not really praising His victory.

The devotion, which forms the main plank for the next level of spiritual growth, is essential to be built up. This can be though many ways as per one's choice and does not mean that it has to follow what traditional hindus do. The song, the devotion, the efforts, the mood is in right setting for making the mind calm (which is one major objective of devotion)

My admiration to these people - constantly thriving on their way to the spiritual goal.

Thanks for the video - it is great !!!!

Love and best wishes