PDA

View Full Version : Namaste from a Newbie :)

BhaktinAnna
08 August 2010, 05:03 AM
Namaste/ Haribol everyone..

I thought id introduce myself quickly and explain why Im here..
Im white but with very mixed heritage( jewish, hungarian, english, Irish, scots, eurasian and roma). Ive been interested in religions and spirituality since I was in grade school, and ive spent many years exploring differant faiths.

About 10 years ago I converted to judaism from christianity after spending time in Israel exploring ( some of ) my roots. I was on the verge of becoming and orthodox jew but couldnt quite commit to it..

Then about 2 years ago I wandered by chance into an ISKCON temple and felt instantly like I was home. The rest as the saying goes - is history...

I consider myself a Hindu, and hope very much that other Hindus see me as such. I guess Im here because Im aware that ISKCON can sometimes offer a narrow view of Hinduism and its practises.

I want to keep my mind open, to learn more about hinduism in general. I believe very strongly that nothing is set in stone, and while I will always be a devotee of Lord Krishna I think and hope also that my faith will change and grow as I do and I cannot, nor do I wish to say for certain that I will be an ISKCON devotee till I die.

I know that sometimes ISKCON gets bad press. And from what Ive read here so far - I know that there are some who see it as a cult and I can understand that point of view.

My view has always been to take things as I find them, and my personal experience of ISKCON has been of an accepting, liberating and accessible path whos devotees have accepted me as a friend without question or judgement and have opened my eyes to a sense of peace (and fun :) ) I never thought possible.

Id like to stress that I am not just another white girl trying to be an indian, or who thinks that wearing saris or bindis makes me a Hindu.. I genuinely want to learn and I hope you will accept me here..

yajvan
08 August 2010, 07:42 PM

hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté BhaktinAnna

Welcome to HDF. A very interesting background I must say. There is much here on HDF to read and ponder.

I look forward to your posts, questions and insights.

praṇām

Ekanta
08 August 2010, 08:23 PM
Hi buddy, yes interesting background. Welcome.

Ramakrishna
08 August 2010, 09:45 PM
Namaste BhaktinAnna,

Welcome to HDF. It's nice to have you here. I look forward to your posts.

Jai Sri Krishna

Onkara
09 August 2010, 04:28 AM
Welcome! I look forward to reading more :)

Believer
09 August 2010, 09:17 AM
Hey Anna,

Welcome aboard!

Then about 2 years ago I wandered by chance into an ISKCON temple and felt instantly like I was home.
If it feels like home, it must be home then.

I consider myself a Hindu, and hope very much that other Hindus see me as such.
If you feel like a Hindu and follow Hindu practices, then there is no need to worry about acceptance.

I guess Im here because I'm aware that ISKCON can sometimes offer a narrow view of Hinduism and its practices.
I know that sometimes ISKCON gets bad press. And from what Ive read here so far - I know that there are some who see it as a cult and I can understand that point of view.
While I will always be a devotee of Lord Krishna I think and hope also that my faith will change and grow as I do
First of all a cult is a closed community where outsiders are not welcome. It would be wrong to call ISKCON a cult. The detractors will always find faults with anything and everything. So I would not worry about the bad press and all that. To me ISKCON seems like a good fit for a person like you who needs close association of other devotees and would like instructions in English. Remember, few bad apples among the practitioners of a faith do not make the faith bad. So long you are a devotee of Lord Krishna, the heights you soar to, depend entirely upon the depth of bhakti you engage yourself in. Good luck, and we are all here to help and support you.

Shanti
16 August 2010, 02:30 PM
Welcome Anna! I'm glad to hear you've found your home with Krishna, with Sanatana Dharma. How you got there/ through what temple is irrelevant IMO. It's the beginning of a journey and there is so much left to explore. I'm glad you found the forum!